Author Topic: big browns thru the ice  (Read 2171 times)

daves

big browns thru the ice
« on: Jan 05, 2004, 05:15 PM »
I icefish a manmade impoundment for trout in connecticut. I've caught brown trout to 7lbs., rainbows to 5lbs, and brookies to 3lbs. However, the action is rarely hot, and I just cannot seem to pinpoint the movements and activities of the fish. The lake is several hundred acres, depth to 90ft.+, water very clear, practically devoid of weed growth, generally soft bottom and sand, gravel, some rock outcrops, several good feeder streams. Cannot connect with anything jigging. Have caught perch to 2lbs. on tipups, hard to locate jiggables. According to stomach contents of the trout, perch appear to be the only fin food, yet also an abundant amount aquatic insects are ingested. I generally fish minnows on the tips, but have scored with worms. Jiggin' produces notta. Looking for some tips to better locate the 10lb+ brown trout I'm looking for.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re:big browns thru the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:10 PM »
Scout in open water like in a boat to find cover, or log jams, or something like that. Fish drop offs about 20-30 ft, even 10 ft. Thats for browns. If there is a log jam or undercut bank that can also be good for big trout, especially brookies
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2004, 06:07 AM »
Where is this place in CT? Sounds like it could have ALOT of potential!

daves

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 06:43 PM »
Hey, IceFishingbear, thanks for the suggestions of fishing drop-offs. The drop-offs are difficult to get to due to limited access. Another guy recommended that as well. No undercut banks, log jams are none existant. To IceMedic, you have places like this near you too, just not supposed to fishem'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.