Author Topic: Night Fishing For Lakers  (Read 3005 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Night Fishing For Lakers
« on: Dec 20, 2003, 09:29 PM »
Has anyone here ever fished at night for lake trout. I have some glow in the dark tube jigs and since I will be sleeping in my shanty on the ice I was wondering if you can catch a few during the night? Any sucess stories or tactics/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

NAD42

Re:Night Fishing For Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2003, 10:47 PM »
Nope...have tried, but have yet to ice a laker at night...if you find out a way to consistently put lakers on the ice in the dark hours, please let me know....my best success is from 7am -1 pm....rock em!

Gillles

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:08 PM »
Years ago one of my buddies caught a 16 pound laker at blue just after dark, but he spent several fishless trips in the same spot after he caught it.  What little night fishing I've done for macks, usually just after dark I haven't had much luck with.  Although it might heat up later on in the evening, I would definately try some glow in the darks.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2003, 12:24 AM »
Mackdaddy21,

I haven't, but several of the guys that I work with go after lakers at night in the late fall.  They are bunched up on their spawning beds at that time, and they boat some dandies.  They release everything that they catch, unless it's over 35 pounds, and the guy who catches it has never caught one that big.  Even then they usually let them go.

It got so popular that the Utah DWR closed the Lucerne bay of Flaming Gorge Reservoir to night fishing from October 15th until December 15th.  It seems to be just a spawning season kinda thing though.  After that most of the guys just fish daylight or dusk.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:31 AM »
I don't think lakers are very effective night feeders.  Probably why the morning bite always seems so hot...

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2003, 01:07 AM »
My favorite time for lakers is to be setup when the sun rises.I have caught some until 10pm at L.G. I used to use a couple of gas lanterns for light and on the tip ups I used live bait with a green lite stick attached a foot above the bait.When I was young and crazy I too stayed in the shanty all night.That came to a abrupt stop when a pressure crack flipped my shanty over causing me to soil myself ;D ;D ;D so be safe braveheart !!!!

trapperdirk

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2003, 06:27 PM »
I've fished them a few times after dark or all night when the mood strikes . Only thing we ever caught were ling,ling ,ling,ling .LOL
   Was fun but I sure wouldn't think that its a high activity level for laketrout . Odds are higher of success in the a.m. But don't forget the ling and the lakers will be there in the morning .  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.