Author Topic: Trout pond  (Read 2872 times)

Offline ZachSchuler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Trout pond
« on: Dec 17, 2002, 03:26 PM »
Ok, I'm going to fish place that has 3 manmade ponds stocked with trout every year and later drained. The maximum depth is 4 feet i believe. 1 lake is about 2 acres. The other two are half an acre. How would I go about catching these fish? On open water they sure don't get close to shore, I hardly ever seen them unless they're on my line, and I have to cast out a ways. Are they catchable with a jig when theres someone right on top of them? Is it best to use tip-ups with powerbait?

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Trout pond
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2002, 06:04 PM »
If the fish are spooky it might be wise to go to the pond a few hours before you intend to fish(provided they are close to home) and drill your holes.  Cover them so they don't freeze.  This gives the trout some time to calm down after being disturbed by the noise.  When you return later be as light footed as possible.  If there is no snow on the ice the fish will see you so it might be wise to watch your lines from shore.  If there is snow you can remain on the ice but keep movement to a minimum.  Try actively jigging a 1/32 oz jig tipped with a mealworm.  If the fish aren't too active slow your presentation or maybe downsize to a 1/64 oz jig.

crappie_hunter

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2002, 04:18 AM »
try useing a 1/4oz zip lure i use them all the time for trout in a quarry by my house

splaketaker

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2002, 02:29 AM »
i run a circulating water pump and a radio when i fish small ponds in the adks and i catch a lot of splake and browns 53 in 5 -6 hour days. I fish 3 to 4 feet under ice in assorted depths of water, but mainly about 6 to 10 and you got to use un-godly sharp hooks with 3 to 4 inch minnows. Emerald shiners are my favorite. Some people let the fish run for ever ,but we run to the flags and if the fish is runnin good set the hook with a 1 foot yank if it dose not work just wait with line in hand and they usually come back. if not slowly pull it back to the hole until you can see the minnow down the hole 2 or 3 feet under the ice and a lot of times you can see the fish hit your bait. thanks for your time!!!

tj52

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2003, 05:12 PM »
you say they stock it every year just to drain it later.  if that is the case all the fish in there are not wild so i wouldn't worry about scaring them.  you could use just about any thing and still catch good numbers.  i would start with worms or minnows with a little power bait.  i don't know what the rules are in your state but in Wyoming we can use up to six poles so i would try something different on each pole.  i usally use one pole with a jigging spoon like a castmaster or sweedish pimple, and the other pole with a round head jig tipped with worm or minnow and i like to put a little power bait between the worm/minnow and jig head for smell they will still hit it evern when you are not jigging it and if they are bitting slow you can twich it alittle and maybe get one to bit, the other four poles i would use tip ups with just a plain minnow or worm.  try different depts with all your poles untill you find the dept they are feeding at then focus on that dept.  every lake is different and the more you fish it the more you learn what the fish want in that lake.  Hope this helps and keep your stick on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.