Author Topic: Salmon tips  (Read 3092 times)

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
Salmon tips
« on: Feb 19, 2003, 06:51 PM »
does anyone have any tips to catching these buggers i finally iced one today prolly dumb luck, i was 3 ft below the ice with tip up way the hell away from every thing with an icicle i have had one or two set for them everytime i go out i actually had a few flags for them today. I was pretty happy but I was just wondering if anyone could give some tips.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Salmon tips
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2003, 08:34 PM »
ADKIceman,
Where are you fishing?  I don't know if I could be of much help, since most of the Salmon we catch are pretty small through the ice.  The ones we do catch are cruising fast and generally are a few feet below the ice.  Tip-ups or jigs with really light line and or light leaders are a must!  I use uncooked frozen shrimp and herring strips here in Alaska. ;D -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
Re: Salmon tips
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2003, 07:04 AM »
Never caught any, but when I am fishing for lakers in Schroon The guys that do fish for salmon are usualy using smelt or hunts right under the ice using light leaders. On lake george I have seen them fishng real shallow like 5 ft of water on million dollar each. Schroon they usually are fishing deeper like between 20 and 50 feet. Good luck I hope this helps.

mooseslayer

Re:Salmon tips
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2003, 01:23 AM »
HEY ADKICEMAN, HERE IN N.MAINE WE FISH ALOT FOR LANDLOCK SALMON.I USUALY FISH OVER OR NEAR THE DEEPEST WATER IN THE LAKE,USUALLY OFF A ROCKY POINT OR NEAR SOME LEDGE. I SET SOME OF MY TIP UPS 6IN. UNDER THE ICE SOME 15FT DOWN. IUSE 50LB. DACRON W/15LB.FLO. LEADER W/SZ.4 RED OCTOPUSS HOOK. YOU NEED LOTS OF LINE BECAUSE THESE FISH LOVE TO RUN.MAKE SURE YOU HOOK BAIT DEEP ENOUGH.THEY'LL STEAL THE BAIT OTHERWISE.HOPE I HELPED.GOOD LUCK AND GIVE'EM HELL!

Offline FishinHank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep Fish,  It does a body good
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2003, 01:10 PM »
give keuka a try.  I got a bunch of them through the ice.  The vexilar was key because I could set my bait at the exact depth that I wanted.  I usually set one at about 8 feet under the ice, another at 15-20 and another at 30-35 in about 50-60 feet of water.  Putting one or two in shallower (20-30 feet of water) also works quite well.  Large golden shiners work pretty good.  I havent gotten one jigging yet.

Offline coldwater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2003, 02:05 PM »
Salmon can be caught at any depth under the ice but they are usually suspended if your getting flags or marking fish with a fish finder focus in on that depth.  Hunts/icicles and smelt work best.

Where are you fishing, is there any ice up in the ADKS

Offline doughtdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LTD!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:09 PM »
opening day ice fishing i caught 8 salmon right less than a foot off the bottom while i was jigging for perch, i got confused because ive never caught a salmon off bottom, they are usually right under the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.