Author Topic: where are you?  (Read 5919 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: where are you?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 17, 2005, 02:09 PM »
anybody know how to contact stange so I can email my challenge to him?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: where are you?
« Reply #31 on: Mar 17, 2005, 04:17 PM »
TFB,

To say that Stange isn't a good fisherman or he doesn't know what he is talking about is indeed uncalled for. I think he is probably one of the foremost experts on fishing in the world as well.
That being said, he has never fished in Colorado for Mackinaw or Pike, so he is unaware of differences. I can attest his techniques DO NOT WORK for lake trout around here. His pike advice is pretty good, although fluorocarbon is needed instead of wire, and pike around here ARE NOT aggressive. Jigging also does not outproduce tip ups for pike in most situations.
His walleye advice and catfish advice are pretty much right on the money around here as well, except walleyes don't suspend here much because there are no pelagic baitfish around here. But about jigging and timing for walleyes, he's on the money. The only thing he is backwards on is lake trout around here. Panfish and pretty much all other species, he is on the money too.
However TFB, Stange also says in his ice fishing book that "these are just general rules, never fish by the book, any book, even this one."
I would agree with Slipbob for the most part, most of the techniques
do work everywhere. But not all of them. Lake trout especially. Around here to catch them you must fish on the bottom, very non aggressively, and the bites are extremely, extremely light. All areas have different patterns.
TFB, I do have Stange's email as he and I have corresponded for years and I have done work for him. I will give it to you if you promise to be polite.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.