Author Topic: Corn for Trout  (Read 11628 times)

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Corn for Trout
« on: Jan 10, 2005, 12:24 PM »
Caught a couple trout (rainbow & brookie) on the trip out this weekend.  When cleaning the 15" rainbow I found a couple of pieces of corn in him.  Anyone else use corn as a bait with much luck?  I want to try possibly dropping a few kernels down the hole and baiting the hook with one of them also and letting it rest on the bottom.  Anyone had much luck with the corn as bait for trout?  Also found a salmon egg in the brookie.  It certainly helps things out when you see what they are eating down there.
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

NAD42

Re: Corn for Trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2005, 04:10 PM »
caught many rainbows,brookies, and splake using corn in some of the ponds I fish at night in the A'racks.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2005, 06:11 PM »
Well here is my opinion on this, I believe that corn is the best thing that you can use to chum a hole for rainbow, you should drop one kernal down the hole anout ever 2 seconds and just use about 8 kernals and the fish will follow the collumn of corn down to the bottom to your bait, you should do this ever 15 minutes or so. Maybe even more if you like, and some people here will tell you that corn kills trout, but i know for fact that it does not, so fish on. Good Luck

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2005, 10:32 PM »
Many people use corn as bait. Some smaller lakes thats all they use and do quite well on it. Dont forget though chumming is illegal in alot of states(NY is one of them). I also would check but in many states the use of corn is illegal also. I would check your states regs if you dont want to be caught or just play stupid if a law officer questions you. I believe the reason that corn is illegal in some states is because there is still a question out if corn kills. It does kill because it can be a very good bait and catch alot of fish, but the question if fish can digest the corn is still out there(dont forget mammals cant digest corn either so what would make a fish that never naturally see corn be able to digest it either) . Ya just dont know.

hali-man

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2005, 10:43 PM »
Here we go again...
Doesn't this debate get old?

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2005, 10:47 PM »
Wasnt debating it it does catch fish and from everybody post and from any info nobody really knows if it harms fish. But corn does kill because it does catch fish and well, that is the one thing that is sure. Also I was just stating that it is illegal in some states.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2005, 11:35 AM »
If I remember correctly it is illegal to use corn for fishing in Mass.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:16 PM »
There is some scattered evidence that suggests corn can kill trout, however I believe it is blown out of proportion and is just another attempt to demonize bait fishing by a small amount of the type of fly fishermen who look down their noses at others for using bait or lures (I do not mean the majority of fly fishermen are this way). No hard evidence to suggest that it's really that harmful. It does work though, for bait and for chum, believe me.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:51 PM »
I cannot count how many dead trout (mackinaw and rainbows mostly), I have seen dead and washed up on shore, and on further examination found their stomachs full of corn. Corn is not legal for bait in utah, and a lot of states. Who knows if it really kills fish though? We have no 100% clearcut evidence either way, and one experiment conducted in the 1980's does not prove that it doesn't kill fish (done by PA fish and game I believe). There is no way to know for sure either way, but I guess a good statement would be to use corn at the fisheries own risk... I guess if it is a stocked trout fishery there is no harm done... but I wouldn't even think of doing it in a wild fishery because wild fish don't seem to like corn very much from what I've heard.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2005, 10:42 PM »
I am an avid "fly flicker" and am not anti bait and most fly fisherman in my experience are not either. I also believe Mackdaddy is a bit parenoid if he thinks there is a mass effort of fly fisherman trying to outlaw bait! I believe the reason corn is outlawed in many states is because of scattered evidence even if me and others believe it is not enough evidence. I sure hope fish and game isn't banning anything cuz of those evil fly fisherman!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Sorry Kodiak I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't mean most fly fishermen, I meant the type that look down their nose at me for being a bait and lures guy. I will go back and edit that post a little bit. I have nothing against fly fishermen, only the ones who look down their nose at me. And that's less than 10% of them. They are a very vocal and biased minority though compaired to the normal and majority and fly fishermen.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:22 PM »
No worries mack, i wasn't offended and i know their are a few "fly fishing snobs" as i call them.

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2005, 11:33 PM »
i`ve heard corn works but havn`t tried it, it is out of season here in the north so I would have to use it from a can.Here we mostly use coctail shrimp from a can the lake fish seem to like it a lot.I here some guy at another lake been having good luck with pieces of pork fat or fatty strips from bacon.Take both with you  {shrimp&bacon}if you can`t catch with them you can always eat them. SNOW LAKER

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2005, 09:22 PM »
Corn is highly illegal in Wyoming for use as bait or chum. You are right that the debate is still out on whether it kills fish or not. I believe it does. The reason that stocker trout are so attractted to corn is that when they are frey and fingerlings, they are fed a cornmeal based feed(in many places) during there stay at the hatchery. Whole kernel corn is not digestable for humans but we get away with it because it does not block our intestines. It will block a fishes intestines. If their is even a chance that you are killing fish by using a certain bait, then why use it. We as fisherman are responsible for the health of our fisheries. To be irresponsible or taken chances when we dont need to can have terrible results and is just more food for the anti's who would love to take your priviledges away.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

galvanizednail

« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2005, 11:43 PM »
im quite intrigued...and bewildered!  of couse let me start by saying that i wouldnt condone anything illegal or that might hurt our stocks especially native species. I also want to point out from the start that by no means am i offering this asfact or even evidence but about 10 years ago i went to a trout rearing pond in Ontario and they were feeding them (as best as my memory recalls) ....WHOLE KERNAL CORN !!! by the bag full!!
It would seem to me that they had tremendous success raising these big fat boys.and im sure it was in their best interest not to kill them .   BUT these were farmed fish (maybe that makes a differance?)
  it was actually a series of about 20 ponds. it was a        I really hate to admit it     pay per fish outfit.   you decided what size fish to go for and went to the appropriate pond. You have to keep what you catch and pay by the pound. in my defense we were introducing some city kids to the idea of fishing and couldnt take them far. and what the hell supper was guaranteed.  Of course we used a kernal of corn on a small trout hook.
very interested in the outcome of any studies done. In any case i feel that better safe than sorry.I think we would all be sorry if we went down to our local fishin hole and found all the trout dead and dying!

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2005, 12:44 AM »
Okay, I'm a native Utahn.  There was a time when chumming was legal here, and corn was the favorite thing to chum with.  This was back in the dark ages, and Utah also didn't allow ice fishing in trout waters.  The week before the opening of trout season all of the supermarkets would put corn on sale.  It went out the doors by the case.  People would chum with 5 or 6 cans of corn a day.  How do I know?  My uncle and all of his brothers had cabins at the best trout fishery in the state, and I spent many days watching all of this.  Well when you have several hundred boats a week dumping 5 or 6 cans of corn in the shallow bays of a reservoir, it litterally piles up.  It decomposes just about as well in the water as it digests in a body.  If it is ground up, it is a lot easier to digest.  One year in particular, the water level dropped, and the bays of this reservoir smelled like corn sqeezin's.  It always caused algae blooms too.  Anyway, the state made it illegal to chum.  It was a water quality issue.  And since you can't trust people to use corn for bait without some of them succumbing to the temptation to chum with it, they made it illegal for bait, or even to have in your possession while fishing.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

hard_waterer

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2005, 06:14 PM »
What makes you guys think a kerrnel of corn will kill a trout? Trout eat whole snails alot bigger than a kernel of corn and they pass the shells. The yellow you see after you have enjoyed a nice feed of corn is not the whole kernel but just the hull. I just want to know if a wild native trout will eat corn, and do brown trout eat corn?????

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2005, 01:39 AM »
Caught a couple trout (rainbow & brookie) on the trip out this weekend.  When cleaning the 15" rainbow I found a couple of pieces of corn in him.  Anyone else use corn as a bait with much luck?  I want to try possibly dropping a few kernels down the hole and baiting the hook with one of them also and letting it rest on the bottom.  Anyone had much luck with the corn as bait for trout?  Also found a salmon egg in the brookie.  It certainly helps things out when you see what they are eating down there.
I have used corn for other fish and it has worked.
Also have sucessfully used velvetta cheese chuck on a treble fishing bows under tips.

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2005, 11:43 AM »
This link is from the PA Fish and Boat Commission web page - it addresses the corn killing trout issue and also the chumming issue for PA.

[url][http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/images/pages/qa/2004/04-13corn_chum.htm]
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2005, 06:46 PM »
in the 1980s, for stocked brookies (in ontario) where fed with corn in the hatcheries. used to throw a few kernels on the ground, and put one on a hook and jig above it. but now they use some liver pellets of somekind. and how would corn kill the trout?

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline Bonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2005, 05:05 PM »
Hey scansy,
Thanks for the link.  That certainly clears up some of the question.  Obviously, trout really can't digest corn and it's probably not the best thing for them to eat.  However, like the website says, unless the trout eat nothing but corn, I can't imagine it's that much of a detriment to them.  I just think it's kinda weird to drop a big wad of corn down a hole...think I'd rather use something similar to what a trout might actually eat.
Bonz

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tomorrow is a another day!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2005, 11:07 PM »
whats wrong with a good old fashion minnow! they work wonders for me ,the most extravagant i get is a nightcrawler,if you want good chum,and its legal ,freeze tuna in oil with a rock in it ,put it down the hole before you fish ,now that works!!!!!!!!!!
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.