Author Topic: Lake trout line choice  (Read 13608 times)

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake trout line choice
« Reply #60 on: Feb 21, 2005, 05:44 PM »
Makes sense, their metabolism is slowed down, they are just scavengers really. Our lakers are aggressive predators, although right now they seem to bu full. ::)

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:38 AM »
        I've been using the 6# Yo-Zuri fluorocarbon/Braid hybrid combo. It's like mono-fluoro but is tougher. It is difficult to cut, even with scissors. I may go to 10# for the Lake George Lakers but the Schroon Lake Lakers seem to be no match for it. I haven't had any break off this year, even with my largest pushing ten pounds. I always try to use as light a line and leader as possible for the finicky fish.
        A three or four foot leader with a ball swivel to the main line and a tiny shot about 18" up when fishin' tips w/ minnows/Smelt, and no shot when jigging. I use Chrome/Blue Kastmasters in1/8th or 1/16th oz. with a small live Emerald or part of a larger dead one. Sometimes when jigging the minnow comes off. For that I use a tiny square of a rubber band on the hook after I put the minnow on, just to keep it there.
        The last big Laker I got had a large Swedish Pimple hanging from its jaw, with about 4" of what looked like 12lb or better line hangin' and jagged. Sometimes it's not just how you play 'em it's if'n yer line is froze to the ice when it wants to run again.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:44 PM »
Sometimes it's not just how you play 'em it's if'n yer line is froze to the ice when it wants to run again.

I know that ALL TOO WELL. :'(

-Wes

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #63 on: Mar 23, 2005, 12:37 AM »
I might try some of that Yo Zuri line as pike leader if it's tough to cut with scissors and is low vis like that.
Our lakes have no pelagic baitfish and I think lakers settle into a scavenger mode during the winter. Hence why the hug bottom, fight about like walleyes, run from aggressively jigged lures, and will often stare at a bait tipped jig for 5 minutes before hitting. Funny to watch them swim in slow circles around a jig and stare at it, leave, come back, leave, come back, leave, come back, and maybe finally hit it.
Rainbows charge lures on sonar like bolts of lightning and literally crush it compaired to a laker. Trout of 2 pounds or better typically go on several line screaming runs and just pull and run like horse that's been spurred. They slice through the water so fast it's amazing. Hooked lakers bend the rod and tend to spin around and around and around, and are like little houdini's they way they seem to always throw the hook. It takes a bigger laker to run line, usually 6 plus pounds. Big lakers over 20 pounds run line though like tail hooked tarpon.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.