Author Topic: Tip-up leaders  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
Tip-up leaders
« on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:32 PM »
I'm still pretty new at this sport and haven't been as successful as I would like to be. I mainly fish for browns and rainbows ranging from 12-20 inches. On my tip-ups last year I ran a 3ft, 6lb trilene green mono leader with a size 10 treble. I would like to start using flouro but last year I tried 6lb vanish and the knot strength was horrible. Could I just have gotten a bad spool? Is Vanish the way to go? Do you guys use flouro leaders, but in a higher test like 8 or 10? What is your complete leader set-up? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

fishinut
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: Tip-up leaders
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:52 PM »
Although some will disagree, vanish isn't the way to go. The knot strength IMO is horrible. I prefer floroclear. That is mono laced with florocarbon. It handles a lot like mono, has excellent knot strength, and is invisible like florocarbon. hope this helps.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2005, 07:35 AM »
I use a leader of 8lb Stren/clear 6ft long with size 8 treble hook.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2005, 09:48 AM »
Troutfishingbear-
I have some flouroclear, never thought of using it for leaders though. What #test do you use? I will definatly tie a few with it. Thanks

Polar-
8lb line sounds like a good idea. A longer leader may also help, never thought of that either.

Thanks for suggestions

Fishinut
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2005, 11:00 AM »
I'm a fan of flouroclear type flourocarbon/mono hybrid lines and use them both for jigging and as leader on my tipups.  The know strength is much better than pure flourocarbon and as TFB said it handles well.  For the size trout you are predominantly fishing for I would go with a 4-6ft leader of 6# test hybrid line and maybe go a bit smaller with your treble (12-14) as these species are picky.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2005, 12:36 AM »
I like the p - line fluorocarbon leader for tip ups. Make sure you get the stuff that says "leader" and only use it for leader. It is stiff but quite strong and abrasion resistant. I use the 12 pound and it's tougher than hell. Had one pike bite it off but even they usually don't bite through it.
If your using a main line, so far the fluoroclear, also by P - Line, is the way to go from what I've found. Berkley vanish is just plain junk IMO. No matter what knot you use, how you tie it or lube it, it's just plain brittle. Six pound mono is stronger than 12 pound vanish.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2005, 03:14 PM »
6-8lb. Flouro and keep them long 6+ft and run 14 trebles,less drops and more hookups,use super fresh lake shiners and stay close to your spread,don't waste any time and take 'em immediately when that flag flies! Experiment with colored beads and or colored hooks you might be surprised. Proper micro shotting is key. :tipup:
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2005, 06:00 AM »
i use 8# florclear/ 10 foot long with 12 to  10  treble hook :tipup: :)

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2005, 02:57 PM »
I'VE NEVER USE THE FLOROCARBON LINES, ARE THEY THAT MUCH BETTER?????
I USUALLY USE THE 30LB DACRON BRAIDED LINE TO A BARREL SWIVEL THEN DEPENDING WHAT I'M FISHING ABOUT 12LB MONO TO A #6 SINGLE HOOK,  OR A #8TREBLE

12-18" ABOVE THE HOOK I PUT A SPLIT SHOT TO HELP SINK THE BAIT

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2005, 11:42 PM »
Vanish does vanish! But that knot strength is pathetic!! There are better lines out there for around the same price.Yo zuri makes a sweet line!
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2005, 09:46 PM »
i rely on vanish as a leader and have 0 problems with knot strength as long as i do two things - use a UNI knot, and make sure that the knot is fully moistend before tightening.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2005, 04:45 PM »
I think i have Trilene low vis 8 lb test, do well with it... ;)

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:55 AM »
        Try the Yo-Zuri hybrid fluorocarbon/braid in 6lb. test. A three or four foot leader of this on any main line will work. The knot strength is extremely high, especially when using the Palomayer(?) knot which maintains over 90% in its knot strength. Cut this line with scissors or a blade, DO NOT try to break this stuff with your bare hands/fingers. You'll likely get a nasty line cut that will last 'till next Ice-on.
        I've taken some fairly large, toothy fish with this line with very good results.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

trav

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:30 AM »
I've been using Stren Superbraid 14lb. test (green) this year, it has the diameter of 4 lb test, no memory, no stretch, very limp, and it's strong as H%$* I was using it with a Vanish leader but like everyone else has found I think Vanish if junk, breaks easy and won't hold a knot. I've been tying the Superbraid directly to my jigs and have gotten just as many if not more bites than when using the fluro leader. It's very easy line to fish with, very sensitive, and if I ever do hook that 20lber I'm confident the line will hold him. The only down fall is when it's extremly cold it does freeze up quicker than mono, but the benefits are worth it in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.