Author Topic: Trout fishing in new jersey  (Read 1604 times)

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
Trout fishing in new jersey
« on: Dec 29, 2004, 11:37 AM »
i am from new jersey and have been ice fishing my whole life, although when im ice fishing i never caught a trout through the ice, regardless that almost all the lakes i fish dont have trout. this year i plan to hit a lake that is designated a "hold over" lake for trout. the lakes design is quite simple its 2 bowls it goes from 100 to 3 ft then back down to 100 again. anyway if you guys have any pointers on what depth to fish for trout that would be appreciated as well as what types of bait to use. i also use an aqua view so that may help in this lake altough its only got 50 ft of line :-\. anyway any tips would be appreciated

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: Trout fishing in new jersey
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:43 PM »
Trout like to suspend. I would fish for them in 10-25 ft. of water, with about 15 ft. being premium. Try to fish off of a dropoff or maybe a creek channel. I would use shrimpos or ratsos tipped with waxworms, bar none these seem to catch more trout than anything I've used for icefishing before. Hope this helps
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2004, 05:38 PM »
Some very large Trout like to swim just below the ice (maybe 2-3 Feet below the ice).  Don't forget to put a couple of tip-ups baited with smalll shiners in this area!

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 05:50 PM »
last season i got browns in round valley but it realy freezes i hear oxford furnace is good for trout what lake you fishing any lake that gets a fall or winter stocking can produce on all the normal trout baits but places like round valley live bait is a better choice fat head or small shinners i got mine in 30ft 2 to 3 ft of the bottom

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2004, 11:04 AM »
ill be fishing lake aeroflex once it freezes over and i know some good spots since i did well very well during the spring/summer but i was also fishin in sixty feet of water

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2005, 01:06 PM »
only fished it once no luck white lake near blais town would be a good choice aswell good luck with the trout thats if we get any safe ice this season

Offline tommytipup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2005, 02:36 PM »
are you talking about waywayanda? If so try the wall behind the island in front of the beach. I havent caught any trout through the ice at wayway but ive got a hunch about that spot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.