Author Topic: splake  (Read 1868 times)

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
splake
« on: Dec 18, 2004, 09:53 PM »
just wondering what everyone else uses to catch splake, up here jigs and jigging spoons are the standard fare, mostly in water 12 ft or less. anyone ever have any luck fishing deep water over 20 feet?? or suspended fish over deeper water???
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: splake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:05 AM »
I generally fish for splake with tips ups, a #6  eagle claw a small split shot and a smelt..  Usually in 20-30 FOW  susupended about 10 ft off the bottom

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2004, 10:46 AM »
dead or live smelt as we cannot use live bait in saskatchewan
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline slim slinger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Northern Frozen *****
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2004, 04:02 PM »
I am in ontario and my set up is very easy for splake. First i set all the lines at different depths usually no deeper then 10-12 ft and some up around 1-1/2 ft until i start getting into fish then i put the lines at the depth they start hitting. So far this year the deepest fish i have landed was about 8 1/2 feet and the shallowest has been 1 foot. I have been usuing a lot of green and silver. Swedish pimple tipped with medium sized minnow and a cleo with a 6 in leader to hook with medium minnow. This has been working great here. been getting majority of the fish only a few feet under the ice.Seems they are cruising shoals or flats for baitfish. Also it seems they have been liking dead minnows over the alive ones. My 2 cents,
let us know how you make out

Slim

Offline WhiteGameHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:54 PM »
Well here in Maine I fish for them in 30-40 feet of water and set the tip ups about 4-6 feet off the bottom.  I use medium to large size shiners, and the first week of the season we tend to hammer them.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2005, 03:34 PM »
 On Superior we run tip-ups using 6-8lb flouro working anywhere from7-60 fow 5-10 ft off the deck. Hit 'em quick and set the trips as light as you can . :tipup:
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2005, 05:48 PM »
Where I fish for splake they like a 3 inch shiner or chub minnow on a "Fire-Ball" jig.  Glow in the dark seems to work best.  We can't use live minnows, but I try to get fresh ones rather than frozen ones.  I find them suspended at 42 feet, over water that is anywhere from 60 to 120 feet deep.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.