Author Topic: Salmon Roe For Rainbows  (Read 2403 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Salmon Roe For Rainbows
« on: Dec 08, 2004, 10:07 PM »
I heard using Salmon Roe packed into netting or cheese cloth works well for rainbows.

Anyone ever tried this or have any feedback in types of location and rigging for this type of bait?

Also is the cured / packed kind any good?

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Salmon Roe For Rainbows
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2004, 10:24 PM »
I used to use cheescloth and it worked really well. That was before i started curing eggs, i found a good cure saves the hassle of cheesecloth.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2004, 10:41 PM »
I like to first cure the eggs by boiling them. Next, I mix the eggs with sugar and borax. no need to mess with the cloth and the eggs stick together. Cut of however much or however little you want to use. Hope this helps.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2004, 04:29 PM »
I changed my opinion slipbob when I fished in idaho over thanksgiving. The egg sack crowd here in colorado always keeps buckets and buckets of spawning trout, so I thought it was like that all over. (like I used to think lakers hit light everywhere, but now I know otherwise.) I realized by seeing people fish, and also by seeing wnyangler's posts, that many egg sack people from other places do release fish caught. I guess a handful of anglers doing that at vega reservoir here in colorado left a bad taste in my mouth. I now know not all egg sack crowds are like that. It is always a viable option in my mind now, as long as you release most fish caught of course ;) Live and learn right? :)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2004, 07:46 PM »
I release egg caught fish all the time the only fish i keep with eggs are worthy fish cuz i don't need to worry about spawing cuz the stocked rainbows here are sterile. As for destruction of fisheries eggs are by far the most used bait for many species here and fish are kept more often than not, yet fishing for all species continues to thrive. This is because of protection of habitat, low pollution and good management. The first two hurt fish a lot more than the egg sack crowd and some areas are more susebtable  to those factors. I don't like to genaralize a certain group like egg fisherman. Like all of society, there are  good fisherman and some that are unethical bad fisherman, the ones who keep to many or snag fish. I know lots of people who use eggs who never litter or overkeep or line red salmon and i know ice fisherman who only jig who do the formentioned. I am a avid fly fisherman and some people would assume i am a snob who looks down on spin fisherman, this is not true. Don't base a whole group of fisherman because of some bad apples.

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2004, 07:50 PM »
Don't base a whole group of fisherman because of some bad apples.

Excellent point, KC. If we don't stick together we will all go down.
Anyone who fishes (or hunts) ethically is ok in my book.
Oh yeah, and I do use egg sacks for salmon.

>:D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.