Author Topic: Tube Jig Hooks?  (Read 4313 times)

Offline WALL3Y3

• IceShanty Rookie
Tube Jig Hooks?
« on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:35 PM »
I've been bitten by the Lake Trout bug this season and was looking for tube jig hook preferences.  I've been messing around with ways to make the tube as horizontal as possible.  Not having much luck as the tail always seems to hang at about 60 degrees no matter how it's weighted.

What brand jigs are you guys using with the tubes?
How much does it matter that the tube sits horizontal?

Thanks for any replies.

Offline troutsdaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tube Jig Hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2010, 09:27 AM »
 I use Cacutta heads and Basspro Gpxs in 3/8 oz.  About keeping horizontal I'm usually bouncing off the bottom.  I have caught lakers as shallow as 4 ft and suspended and it didn't seem to bother them much, but i do understand trying to mimic a minnow in the water thats alive and they dont swim butt down!  Have you tryed putting a splitshot in the head of the tube before your jighead?  Might equalize the weight if your jig is tipped with bait and put the eye of the jig closer to center..........trouts daddy

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2010, 12:34 PM »
try using the gamakatsu 3/8oz. tube jighead sold by janns netcraft. they are 2x's stronger than any other hook and needle sharp. landed a 23lb. muskie on a 4in. tube w/ this jig. it wont bend!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2010, 08:16 AM »
Try moving the position of your knot to help the jig sit more horizontally. 

I usually push the Jig head into the Tube, and then poke the line tie through the tube to tie on.
I like this method because the hook is a little farther back.

Another "trick" that I do is to slightly bend the hook to open the gap before I use the Jig.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2010, 08:56 AM »
i position the eye the same way. i also prefer the jig w/ the eye directly on top. gives it a natural drop.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:25 PM »
I have been playing around with my tube jigs and what I found is that it wasnt so much the jig as it was the tube that lead to the most horizontal presentation.  I found this out by accident, I bought a package of tubes with a solid head tip by mistake, the solid head doesnt allow the eye of the jig to go all the way to the front which results in  the bait hanging almost perfectly horizontal.
@jzuliniak

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I fish in very deep water for lakers and here is my only jig i use. i start out with a 1 once jig in white or pink in color with and eye at either end, not in the center.. at one end i put on a mustang 3/0 single salmon open eye hook and then take a 3 or 4 inch tube and cut off 1/2 inch of the head. Then slide the tube from the hook end up over the jig 3/4 of the way.When you see a laker on your graph drop the jig above the laker and jig it a few times. if no responce, reel it up a little and see if he moves up. If so keep reeling and hold on to your rod and keep reeling and watch the trout. If he brakes off drop it back all the way to the bottom and reel back up all the way to surface.The main thing is to keep you jig above the trout.it sound like a lot of work but it isnt and the results can be deadly. If they are there they will hit.The answer to question is 3/0 or 4/0 hook. A 10 pound laker has a tough big mouth.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:00 PM »
I fish in very deep water for lakers and here is my only jig i use. i start out with a 1 once jig in white or pink in color with and eye at either end, not in the center.. at one end i put on a mustang 3/0 single salmon open eye hook and then take a 3 or 4 inch tube and cut off 1/2 inch of the head. Then slide the tube from the hook end up over the jig 3/4 of the way.When you see a laker on your graph drop the jig above the laker and jig it a few times. if no responce, reel it up a little and see if he moves up. If so keep reeling and hold on to your rod and keep reeling and watch the trout. If he brakes off drop it back all the way to the bottom and reel back up all the way to surface.The main thing is to keep you jig above the trout.it sound like a lot of work but it isnt and the results can be deadly. If they are there they will hit.The answer to question is 3/0 or 4/0 hook. A 10 pound laker has a tough big mouth.

That sounds great,any chance we could see a pic of your jig
Jig em up!

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jig em up!

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline WALL3Y3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:25 PM »
It's been a long while!
Thanks for all the replies. 

Thought about the split shot deal even before writing the initial post and it was still ass heavy.  All the way up to a #5 shot.

Interesting about the solid head tubes, will look into that.

cub, I found some of those tube jigs and look forward to using them, they're by far the sharpest tube hooks I've seen.  Should be no more blaming line stretch to not staying hooked up.

trouter, could you post a picture of the jig setup you're talking about.  For some reason I can't visualize it.

Now all I have to do is wait for the ice to get good on the deeper portions of the lakes!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.