Author Topic: purple rainbows  (Read 2109 times)

raleigh

purple rainbows
« on: Mar 14, 2004, 10:48 AM »
When fishing through the ice why are some of the rainbows that I catch dark purple? I caught about 70 or so a couple of days ago and about a half dozen where dark purple when I broght the up.  ???

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: purple rainbows
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 01:21 PM »
Could be what there diet is or could be they are getting ready to spawn.. Another possibility could be the strain they are.. The rainbows here get a real dark violet band in the spring and in the summer their backs turn an aqua green color..All fish and especialy trout turn different shades of their colors through out the year and more so around their spawning seasons...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:51 AM »
raleigh, we are from the same area and I can give you an exact answer.

The cold water turns the strain that way
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2004, 12:31 AM »
I caught a lot of rainbows when fishing for lakers last year at Ruedi. Most were little but they were all beautifully colored. Would have probably never caught them without a sonar cause they were suspended way up off the bottom. Most were 9 - 14", but all of them were really dark purple, beautiful fish. Some were almost blackish purple. I have caught them at Vega and in the Colorado like that too, but mostly at Vega. The ones in the Colorado are more orange.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2004, 02:00 PM »
lots of fish that are native to the area and not stocked will have darker more defined markings.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:38 PM »
It's the environment, the diet, and the strain. Rainbows from lakes are often much darker than those from stream, and some strains are definately darker than others, as well as it may be a native/ stockie thing.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2004, 05:56 AM »
caught a couple last year that had a lot of purple to them through the ice so could be diet from the hatcheries then again could be a strain or something to do with the cold also cought one that kinda looked like a browny but was a bow when you started to look at it real closelarge old wild born trout lots of scars

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.