Author Topic: Have you ever fallen through the ice?  (Read 4622 times)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: Have you ever fallen through the ice?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:17 PM »
once as a kid, on a local pond, in 10 degree weather. i was frozen solid by the time i got home. mom put me in the shower to get my boots off. only once icefishing, in 2 feet of water, getting off the ice.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:37 PM »
i went through this fall and it was like walking on a pencil no warning cracks at all..

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:07 PM »
Put my leg through a few holes. Then went a few years without getting wet. I was worried I was realy gonna go in this year. But I got lucky and went through early in the season and only went waist deep.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Hawkeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:40 PM »
Been lucky so far. The worst I have had was going through a 10 inch hole on Conesus ( covered with snow ). Just got the one leg wet and since it was a relatively warm day I was able to keep fishing. Also went in once at Braddock Bay but that was also just 1 leg and only to the knee. I let my young and light son go ahead of me now.   ::)

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:53 AM »
I let my young and light son go ahead of me now.   ::)

Do the letters TPR mean anything to you?  If not, it should be looked into.  Unless you're joking, you need a reality check, sir! 
Pool 9 Pro

Offline jrmPikeFreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing For Life!!!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:42 PM »
I'm sure it was a joke, if not hopefully he has a rope tied to him. LOL

Offline Hawkeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:05 PM »
YES Gentleman it was a JOKE ( Geez ).

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Yup, got wet when I was a curious kid. Got wet when I was an idiot teenager. Got wet when I was a fearless young adult. Got wet when I was a middle aged man thinking he was still a fearless young adult. I'm now a "grey hair" with curious,idiotic,and fearless tendencies.
 However, I have finally learned to not tempt fate. Therefore I now wear IDI gear. Woo-hooo!!!
       :tipup: :tipup:

<br />img

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:42 PM »
HECK YES. many up to the knees, and slightly above the knees, BUT, THE WORSE ONE, was many moons ago, on Lake Erie. I was walking or should I say (sight seeing), on white ice and looking for a spot  to fish, WHAM, I went thru up to my arm pits. was able to pull myself out. by the time i got back to shore, (about a mile + out) my carharts, looked like they were made of glass from the cold temp.
Said a lot o Hail Mary's that night,---- getting out of myfrozen duds. the wife said, what happened,I told her the story, she also said were you scared , , I showed her the "FROZEN SKID MARKS' IN MY SHORTS., look honey, it scared the crap out o me. THAT WAS IT.--no more questions from her.---- true story, no bull.

aka FishingPolski

Offline SwedishPimple

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cuskarunnin'
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:44 PM »
Yes and now the wife goes first.

Offline Hawkeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:46 PM »
 :o

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:01 PM »
I've lived on the water most of my life. I fallen thru by shore when I was a kid. No damage just a couple feet of water. Went thru is a small airplane taking off from the ice. I thought this was going to be the end of the line. Made it thru that experiance somehow. Now days I pay pretty closs attention to the ice and wear an Arctic Armor ice suit.
Bruster

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 11, 2009, 05:23 PM »
2 times on back to back days!  First was on a 4-wheeler...  Second time I was by myself had my head down (it was windy)  snorkel closed up and walked right into a big ole square spearing hole!  in about 5 foot of water..

I promptly ordered an Artic Armor suit   ;D

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #43 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:48 PM »
I always wait for very safe ice. Still, I stepped into a snow covered feeder creek, lucky it was only 2 feet deep. I always wear a survival suit if I'm not fishing at an outfitter.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Yes, sadly I didn't make it.   :laugh:
  thats too bad sorry for your loss!  hard to swimm with my foot on tour head lol

Offline SquirrelHunterJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2009, 06:38 AM »
5 time but it was on purpose every time
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like heck and make up lies......

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:09 AM »
I went through one time in the spring. I was walking to an island after they lowered the water and there was about a foot of rotten ice. I had hip waders on and the water was deep enough to go over the top of them and fill them up. It wasn't that bad, but i'll thank the warm temperatures outside.  Never want to go through in the winter...

Offline ex-pug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 12, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Gone thourgh a couple of times. Once in about 12' of water with no one around. Managed to get a hold of the ice and pull myself up. Almost froze before I got to land. The funny thing was the ice was 18" thick, but I was walking on a pressure ridge and it just gave away. Was real lucky.

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2009, 04:04 PM »
The safety video is essential to anyone who ventures out on ice. No matter the depth, time of year, location. I found it to be very informative.

Where would I find a link to that video ?  Thanks, kdcon

Offline soduswaternut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • work is for people who don't know how to fish!!!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Last year on Ibay, guys inside me and a group outside. Turned to try outside water took 25 steps and swim time!!! The one thing I'd share with all my fellow shanty members, STAY CALM , your not going to sink.
I was in 18' of water and just pulled my self to to edge, kicked my feet did the belly crawl to where I'd walked out and stood up. Theres a reason wool pants are my icefishing norm. They keep their insulation properties even wet. I fished for 45 min. after my swim.

Tight Lines,
Steve 8)

Offline waldojigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:54 AM »
Same here--like every other day trapping lol. If I'm not going through ice a rock is rolling under my foot while wading in a cold fast brook, or slippery rocks...either way, I manage to take a swim every now and again.
falling in the drink steelhead fishing is probably worse than going through the ice, rocks can be quite painful tear waders and if your lucky you might even get a pretty purple bruise

Offline Shadrap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 15, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Fell thru hunting one time crossing a creek and about froze to death in below zero weather. About 2 miles from home and made it about mile and couldn't go any further as I was froze stiff as a board.  Buddy started a big fire and thawed me out and I barely made it the last mile as I became stiff as a board again.

Fell thru trapping walking on the river with chest waders in -0- temps.  Popped right out but thought I was in some serious trouble, but surprisingly the water inside my waders kept me somewhat warm on my hike back to the truck. 

Fell thru ice fishing once but the temps were about 50 degrees.  I popped right out and ended up going to another lake and fished even though I was soaked.  At that lake I was setting on my bucket and a fellow started walking towards me and down he went.  I decided it was time to pack it in for the year.  10 inches of ice but all white except an inch or two of clear on the bottom.

Try to be a little more careful these day.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Where would I find a link to that video ?  Thanks, kdcon

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.