Author Topic: whats best for crappie i dont have luck  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Wa113y1c3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • why am i in school should be icefishin
whats best for crappie i dont have luck
« on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:07 PM »
:) i fish Saratoga never have any luck for crappie and don't know were to fish for them what to use thanks any info would greatly pleased
                                   thanks Wa113y1c3   :tipup:
1 dollars for bait for the big fish of the day priceless!

bonkfan14

Re: whats best for crappie i dont have luck
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:42 AM »
well i dont fish there but whait i do is start w/large jigs then work my way down...if you find gills n sunnies move a little deeper..works for me...zeke

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Zeke... just told u every thing pretty much u need to kno acept for what bait to use
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Wa113y1c3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:23 PM »
thanks man i'll try it  :tipup:

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Good luck if you go dont know of many guys that catch crappies on a regular basis on  that lake
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

camo_fish

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:42 PM »
It is still a mystery to allot of people on Toga, but we get a few here and there on the ice, but after ice out in the warming spring sun, it is easy to go out in the boat and get your limit in an hour or so. That is if your keeping.
I like to C&R mostly, with only taking a few for lunch or dinner once and awhile.  ;D
I just like going out in the spring and catching 50 of them in a few hours. Easy to boat 25+ in an hour.  ;)

Oh yea, little 1 - 1/2" tube jigs under bobber.  :)

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 10:08 PM »
Crappie are usually tough mid-winter, though you often find it easier to locate them towards ice out. Find some large shallow fingers or bays and then try the deeper water that adjoins those areas. Look for structure like creek channels that connect these places and try to fish them around first and last light. Try deadsticking a fathead under a slip bobber, and jigging a Fat Boy or other horizontal jig tipped with a couple of spikes. If all else fails it never hurts to carry a small pair of binculars to watch for other guys catching them. Like perch, locating the fish is a big part of the game. Simetimes the local Bait and Tackle can point you in the right direction

Offline Wa113y1c3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:20 PM »
Camo do you usually fish for crappies as soon as the ice melts.
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:05 PM »
If you just have no idea, do this:

>Start in 6 feet of water. Then go up to 10 or 15. Still no luck, go to 5, 4 or 3 feet.
>Jig with your confidence lure, no matter what people say. Their lures work great, but only when they use them. Stay with what works for you, but try to keep it at 1/32 ounce jig or smaller. Try medium and small jigging actions, and don't forget, try dead still, believe it or not.
>Find an area that is near a point of some sort. Use the dry land as an indicator of where the points are, of course.
>If all this fails, do some spying. But remember, don't intrude, or have something to offer people. If you see me, offer me some beer, and I'll let you live in my kitchen.
>If all else fails, you did succeed somewhat. You figured out what does not work.
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

camo_fish

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:29 AM »
Camo do you usually fish for crappies as soon as the ice melts.
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
I see people out fishing for crappies and gills out off from fitch at first ice out. But, I wait till April or May and get them up spawning.  8) So, a couple weeks after ice out. Although that is when I got my boat last year. I plan on getting out there soon after ice out this year.  ;D

Offline Wa113y1c3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:38 AM »
thnks  :tipup:

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2006, 04:14 PM »
Crappies are tough to find through the ice on most lakes but there are exceptions
to this rule.  They school pretty tight so I always mark a hot hole if I am lucky
enough to find one.  I do a whole lot better at night with lanterns.  I use two lines.
One with a minnie and a bobber.  The other jiggin rod has several spikes or another
minnow.  Green or red neon crappie jig from jamminjigs.com have become my favorite
crappie lures but I know others who swear by a tiny treble hook.  I set my bobbers
at 3' to 5' under the ice and usually do real good.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.