Author Topic: Night time SLABS  (Read 3842 times)

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
Night time SLABS
« on: Jan 11, 2005, 03:12 PM »
I fish up Black Lake alot for crappie and do well but dont do as well at night as my other spot on sandy pond, I was wondering what kind of setups you all use and what kind of lighting and so on. I drill a hole and put my vex down it and cap it with a high powerd light, I hear submersable lights work well also. I then drill my jiggin holes uder the light/vex hole and fish. Is it better to sit longer at night and wait for bait and crappie to move in twords the light or should I run and gun changing lures and everything untill I find the big school of SLABS. I do well in the day so I think my place should be lit up for night fishing!!  Would they stay in the bay at night to feed?? Lookin for crappie Kaos in the dark!!  FISH-ON
                                    FISHHEAD ;D
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Night time SLABS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:30 PM »
So far this year I have only fished one lake with crappies, and it has only a modest population but they are all nice ones. They are hitting almost exclusively at twighlight, though my brother did catch 3 when a school moved in at about 3 pm. You just have to run and gun till you find the school, as they move around fast. At night though, setting up in a high percentage spot and waiting for the schools  to come through is a wiser plan. Glow in the dark spoons seem to be best, tipped with a waxworm. Frostee spoons, stingers, swedish pimples, all in glow colors seem to be knocking the heck out of em this year.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2005, 08:39 PM »
I have crushed them in the day so far, saturday I did big SLABS thrughout that snow storm, we did our best yet this year. Pics are in fishing pics under general. I want to fish this perticular place at night as my thinking is if Im doin this good during the day maybe I can get into the HUGE MOGIN SLABS at night :roflmao:My best jigs have been #6 or # 8 green glow Ice Ticks with a orange coller tipped with 3 maggs, Halis or glow buckshot spoons with the long hali chains with maggs or fat heads.Dont fish them to much at night so lookin to pick up some of you crappie gurus tricks and secrets  :DIm fishing for a trophy slab this year, got my 2 perch mounted last year. 1 was 12" and 1.92lbs and the other was 13.5" and 1.82lbs, at sodus, back to back JUMBOS!!  Short and FAT!!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2005, 09:51 PM »
in my experience night fishing for crappies, i have never done well with a submersible light or really any attempt to light up the water.  I have found that crappies bite well until about 8pm, and from nearly the end of twilight, till the end of the bite at 8, there really isnt much moving involved...maybe once or twice per hour.  i like to huddle up in my fishtrap with the vex running, a coleman lantern and my buddy heater going (i open the vents on the shanty of course)

ive found that some nights the crappies want the jig really glowed up, and other nights it really doesnt matter as long as the jig does have some kind of glow.  i also rely on those LED headlamps to tie knots and such...infact i rely on them so much, i usually carry a back up headlamp along with batteries.

Offline camo521

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2005, 08:35 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new to this crappy thing, I've always wanted to fish for them but I couldn't get any one to hook up with to show me some tricks for them. I would like very much to hook up with some one and go for them if they have any room for one more. I would like to fish for these fish, so if anyone would like to take a rookie and show me ropes please get back to me, I'd love to go. Thanks Camo521.  :-X

PS: I live in the rochester area and don't mind driving, thanks.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2005, 06:01 PM »
I have to agree with bigredonice. I have had 200+ fish nights with no lights underwater or shining down the hole. I have been useing any type of glow jig, mostly marmooskas.
Only other thing is i've had good bites till 2am.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2005, 06:10 PM »
camo521, sorry i just realized that was your 1st post. Welcome aboard.
North end of Honeoye was pretty good last year,but i have not fished there this year because the ice is ''iffy'' where i like to go. We will be fishing the South end tomorrow afternoon and hope to find some crappies.
Crappieloo

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2005, 06:12 PM »
Where are the pics, Jim?  ;)

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2005, 08:52 PM »
The pics are under the pics section, fishheads awsome weekend!!  Come on up hali-man, join the fun,or should I say feasco.LOL

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:24 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to this crappy thing, I've always wanted to fish for them but I couldn't get any one to hook up with to show me some tricks for them. I would like very much to hook up with some one and go for them if they have any room for one more. I would like to fish for these fish, so if anyone would like to take a rookie and show me ropes please get back to me, I'd love to go. Thanks Camo521.  :-X

PS: I live in the rochester area and don't mind driving, thanks.
  Hey, I've been doing really well in the Minneapolis area on a particular local lake (which I don't think would be wise to post on this site! ;)  Anyways, I've always thought that fishing with a partner is way more ufn than by yourself, so if you wanna hook up sometime, I'd be more than willing to share a couple of spots.  Also, I'm heading up to Red in a couple of weeks, and if you and whoever else reads this post would like to come with, gimme a shout! 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2005, 05:03 PM »
fishuhalik, i think thats a little to far to drive from N.Y. camo521, the North end of Honoeye was pretty good for me 2 years ago and its not far for you. I dont know if we can get on this weekend tho with the warm temps and rain here now. I'll PM you if were going.
crappieloo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.