The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Return policy abuse !!!!  (Read 5781 times)

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Return policy abuse !!!!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:14 PM »
if the boots did not suck they wouldnt have a problem.

Offline izmir

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2018, 04:45 AM »
How and the hell can u bash a Company that's as good as LL Beans? Some people just want some thing for nothing, I guess its a Left Wing thing. I don't care how much then owners are making, when the workers are happy, and the Company is surviving.

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:00 AM »
if the boots did not suck they wouldnt have a problem.

Saying Bean boots suck is like saying Vermont’s maple syrup tastes like raccoon piss

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:04 AM »
How and the hell can u bash a Company that's as good as LL Beans? Some people just want some thing for nothing, I guess its a Left Wing thing. I don't care how much then owners are making, when the workers are happy, and the Company is surviving.  I totally agree with you. !! I have been reading these posts shaking my head !

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Beans stuff is cheeply made these days. China stuff. Old LL himself would be rolling in his grave if he knew what was going on. I've worked in their facilitys before and it's no different than any other stuff made.  Also I used to buy alot from there. 100 doller Camo pants riped first trip out hunting. Camo ran gear same thing. And don't get me started on how you work their forever then they just let u go bc your getting seniority. Beans isn't the same people it used to be.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:41 AM »
i agree with shrinkage but i also agree that the policy needed to change, but i blame them for the abuse.  Simple things could be in place to stop fraud, such as all clothing only has a year warranty, (who expects shirts and pants to be returnable after you have worn them for a year?)  All returns must have proof of purchase (receipts, card that was used to buy).  I just dont like that they go from one extreme to the other and a year warranty on things other than clothes is not that long for a manufacturer.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2018, 10:08 AM »
People that stole from Beans probably steal elsewhere.

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Beans stuff is cheeply made these days. China stuff. Old LL himself would be rolling in his grave if he knew what was going on.
If LL Bean is rolling over in his grave.....it’s a gold plated coffin with diamond inlays, and the finest silk lining money can buy. Rest In Peace my friend. You earned it. Every penny.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 11, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I got a pair of ll bean cold weather boot ive had for 35 years. still wear them every time out ice fishin. went threw 3 or 4 pairs of the reagular ones and that's after replacing the bottoms. never did the return thing , if they were worn out , id just buy new ones. when the price went way up I stopped getting them.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2018, 04:43 PM »
I am sure it has nothing to do with the overall quality of the merchandise they sell now compared to what they sold when the policy was first enacted...stuff from China just doesn't hold up to the "forever" way of doing things!

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 11, 2018, 11:20 PM »
Well my family and I have shopped at beans ever since I could remember , we always new we were paying more but just that idea of having the warranty just Incase was a good feeling and helped with the thought of spending our hard earned money and to think  after all those years I think I used it once and it was only because it was poorly made but I had no complaints because I knew I could exchange it for another one. Most merchandise is marked up double what it should cost and why because if it came  back some day the item was already payed for twice.I’m sure there not going to drop there prices to be more competitive so I would have to say if there going to be like most other companies why wouldn’t I shop those other companies with better prices. Not that losing me as a customer matters to them in the big picture. I say good luck to them I don’t like to see any business hurting it is not good for the economy and effects many people . But I think it was a very bad business decision and I honestly believe it will hurt them more then the cost of there return policy did.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #41 on: Feb 11, 2018, 11:23 PM »
Saying Bean boots suck is like saying Vermont’s maple syrup tastes like raccoon piss

Those flagship boots suck. They have zero support and zero insulation. If you think they are good try them out for a full day on the ice.

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:20 AM »
You people don't listen to what was said and just make stupid comments. I didn't say old man LL stuff was cheep but NOW it is. He did earn every penny and Yes he'd he pissed right now about cheeply made products for high price sorry if you don't like it not sorry

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:32 PM »
try a pair of schnee's, way nicer than the bean boots ;D

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:06 PM »
try a pair of schnee's, way nicer than the bean boots ;D

How's there return policy?    @)
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:20 PM »
How's there return policy?    @)

same as beans on the boots, pay to have the bottoms replaced.  my schnees are 16 years old and still look new, and theres none of that bean slippage at the heal

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Well my family and I have shopped at beans ever since I could remember , we always new we were paying more but just that idea of having the warranty just Incase was a good feeling and helped with the thought of spending our hard earned money and to think  after all those years I think I used it once and it was only because it was poorly made but I had no complaints because I knew I could exchange it for another one. Most merchandise is marked up double what it should cost and why because if it came  back some day the item was already payed for twice.I’m sure there not going to drop there prices to be more competitive so I would have to say if there going to be like most other companies why wouldn’t I shop those other companies with better prices. Not that losing me as a customer matters to them in the big picture. I say good luck to them I don’t like to see any business hurting it is not good for the economy and effects many people . But I think it was a very bad business decision and I honestly believe it will hurt them more then the cost of there return policy did.

If you compare L.L. Bean's prices with other brands of similar quality you will find that they are competitively priced. It only seems overpriced if you compare it to prices of low quality junk at WalMart. If you buy Jack Traps from L.L.Bean's, L.L.Cote or Dag's the prices wil be about the same. If you buy at the end of the season you will probably get the best deal from Bean's.

Offline zhaaksdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:12 PM »
worked at corporate for a couple years as a contractor:
1- folks are the nicest, most professional in the industry
2- Mr Gorman was a daily interaction- outstanding man
3- Bean boots are, uh, terrible, great for high school gals and the like for chic coolness.
4- new policy is obvious, the trend towards lefties being somewhat legitimized with nothing more than plurality needs to stop everywhere
5-The descendants of LL are all outstanding human beings; dealing with an ever-changing business

can't wait to fish on Friday!
tight lines - come at me bro

Offline pondstar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I hope they choke on their over priced junk.  LL Bean could not be more removed from true Maine outdoorsman.  I saw a t-shirt there that read ICE FISHING RANGELEY LAKE.  They could do the return policy because they changed 7 times what the product was worth

Offline icecruiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:42 PM »
I hope they choke on their over priced junk.  LL Bean could not be more removed from true Maine outdoorsman.  I saw a t-shirt there that read ICE FISHING RANGELEY LAKE.  They could do the return policy because they changed 7 times what the product was worth

If you don’t like it why were you shopping there buying ice fish Rangeley shirts?

Oh wait do you even ice fish anymore?

Or were you there buying flannel underwear?   ;D

I have lots of beans stuff but haven’t shopped there for years but have heard many stories of the abuse.

Just a matter of time in my opinion. 

John

Offline pondstar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:21 PM »

Oh wait do you even ice fish anymore?

[/Haha.!!!!  Around ice all the time ... Just not the kind with fish under it.quote]

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:20 AM »

If you compare L.L. Bean's prices with other brands of similar quality you will find that they are competitively priced. It only seems overpriced if you compare it to prices of low quality junk at WalMart. If you buy Jack Traps from L.L.Bean's, L.L.Cote or Dag's the prices wil be about the same. If you buy at the end of the season you will probably get the best deal from Bean's.
well now with 1 year warranty you buy at end of season for cheeper but can't use it till next season and if something goes wrong you can't bring it back bc it's been a year

Offline allagashking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:25 AM »
If defective they will replace I have no problem best warrantee period only people who have problem with are ones who where scamming them. give them year we will see.
arnie may your bait allways be under the ice.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:33 AM »
In general, people suck.  This is LL Beans way of saying it.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Interesting subject! I have never returned anything made by Woolrich, Johnson, Codet, Columbia, and a few other manufacturers. I have worn their products for years, and when worn out I got my use out of them and wouldn't even consider trying to return them.
I have not had that experience with some of the "modern" gear that is expensive, years ago I bought 2 pairs of Rocky Snowstalkers and the pair I had been using started falling apart after about 3 yrs. of minimal hunting use only, next year I went to use the brand new pair in the box and the rubber heel guard was no better than the pair I had worn and was disintegrating ---China JUNK! Also had Cabela's Dry Plus bibs that I wore very minimally and looked like new, needless to say I bought them for the waterproof quality and after about 6 yrs. they were no longer waterproof even though they were hardly worn and stored properly. WTH, expensive and only worn a few times and no longer waterproof, those were returned!
Talk about lifetime warranties, many years ago I bought a Sunoco "LIFETIME" battery where the paperwork stated that Sunoco would replace the battery for as long as you own the car it was originally installed in. Guess what, I still have the car and Sunoco is still replacing the battery, I think they hate me!  ;D
They did try to get out of that "lifetime warranty", but the FTC stepped in and said NOPE you will honor the lifetime warranty that you offered.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:06 AM »
LL Bean's return policy is/was a 100% satisfaction guarantee NOT a lifetime warrantee.  The issues comes when idiots buy stuff at a yard sale and then return it, when people go fishing for a week and then return gear, when people fish for a season and then return gear to get gear for a new season.  That is wrong and what was being abused.  You know it, I know it, LL Bean knows it.

Seems to me that if you aren't satisfied with something within a year you should know it.  If it is defective they are going to work with you.  Pretty simple really.  This is from someone that doesn't shop there and owns very little from LL Bean.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Thank you to all of you for understanding our current difficulties, our 1.6 billion dollar yearly gross sales are no longer supporting our family's lifestyle.  We will continue to develop our outsourced products for you (you know who they are!!) and yes, even Lewiston! But we must make changes in order to keep our barrels full of cash. Sincerely S. Gorman

I hear you, however, the key word in the stated number is "gross" sales.   Remove the returns and you get "net" sales.  Next we have to account for cost of goods sold (product cost, including development, freight, etc) for gross profit.  Subsequently, there are volumes of expenses (payroll being the biggest, occupancy costs, etc) and we get to income before tax. 

I believe any of us who have stood in the returns line more than once has witnessed abuse of policies.  To expect a consumer grade boot to last an entire lifetime is not a realistic expectation.  I've personally witnessed individuals bringing trash bags of outfits clearly worn for years expecting full refunds.  I believe those cases of trash bags were the exception vs. the rule but I've seen a lot of old stuff showing back up.

At the end of the day, it's a business which has to turn a profit.  They'll need to monitor this change closely but I believe most of their customers will not have an issue upon some reflection.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #57 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:38 PM »
I hear you, however, the key word in the stated number is "gross" sales.   Remove the returns and you get "net" sales.  Next we have to account for cost of goods sold (product cost, including development, freight, etc) for gross profit.  Subsequently, there are volumes of expenses (payroll being the biggest, occupancy costs, etc) and we get to income before tax. 

I believe any of us who have stood in the returns line more than once has witnessed abuse of policies.  To expect a consumer grade boot to last an entire lifetime is not a realistic expectation.  I've personally witnessed individuals bringing trash bags of outfits clearly worn for years expecting full refunds.  I believe those cases of trash bags were the exception vs. the rule but I've seen a lot of old stuff showing back up.

At the end of the day, it's a business which has to turn a profit.  They'll need to monitor this change closely but I believe most of their customers will not have an issue upon some reflection.

Some people are taking this post way too seriously...
No offence but I've been in business for over 32 years and your explanation of business accounting is  a bit wrong bub but close enough...
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:00 PM »
There was talk on the radio about this. They were saying the opiod epidemic has added to the return problems. Junkies have been breaking into houses to steal L.L. Bean products. Then they return them for a gift card. Next, they sell the card for drug money.  It's not only local junky thieves. It was happening in other places. The thieves were returning the items by mail.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:05 PM »
well now with 1 year warranty you buy at end of season for cheeper but can't use it till next season and if something goes wrong you can't bring it back bc it's been a year

End of season sales on ice gear happen in March. If you discover problems next February it has not been a year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.