Author Topic: 2016/2017 Lake Louise reports  (Read 20621 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2016/2017 Lake Louise reports
« Reply #60 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Man you do not have luck with snow machines.  You weren't doing 100 at 40 below again were you ?
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:35 PM »
Just got a report that the trail is marked all the way to the Moore lake trail.  I don't know if it's marked down the east side of Louise but I would imagine so .

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2016, 02:26 AM »
Broke down twice on the way out and lost my sleeping bag on the way out today, snowing too hard to bother looking for it. If anyone finds a red dry sack please leave it be, I'm coming for it in the morning.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 30, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Where abouts do you think you lost it.  Akanders is up there right now I'm sure he could grab it for you. 

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Not sure, tied it off in the same place I always do.  I travelled from the public launch to the flat via the trail since I didn't want to cut out across the lake at night, I'm sure someone has seen it by now.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Found it, some kind soul put it on a trail marker

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Nice there's some good people up there.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 30, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Man you do not have luck with snow machines.  You weren't doing 100 at 40 below again were you ?

Wes81 did it this time. I think the trail to Crosswinds raddled something loose.   

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 01, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Happy New Year! How was the light show last night?

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Lights were pretty awesome, mixed in well with the store bought fireworks.  Bummer you couldn't stay hope you get your machine fixed.  Nappy new year

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:39 PM »
It was pretty good out here on fairview, so I figured you had it pretty good if there was no cloud cover. ... sled is all fixed and back to its rightful owner, time to bite the bullet and weigh my Bearcat and skandic options.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Lights were pretty awesome, mixed in well with the store bought fireworks.  Bummer you couldn't stay hope you get your machine fixed.  Nappy new year

Nice!  How was the fishing Akhardwater?  I'm still waiting for my machine to get fixed and then I'm heading back up there.  Hoping to get back up there next weekend.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:19 PM »
Not really doing much fishing just kind of hanging out having a good time with the wife and couple friends. It was a great weakend and the lights were a great bonus.

Offline wesak81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:34 AM »
seen a lot of posts on lake louise on facebook,  the lake is getting fished pretty hard, I seen over 14 fish over 15 pounds being kept, I find it pretty rediclous. I seen theres been a few guided trips out there now,  just wanted to let everyone know who likes to fish lake louise I find it as a conern, would be nice to see more catch and release of the big boys, I know most of the people on here do it,  pretty soon we will have to find another lake to fish!
NOTHING IS BETTER THEN BEING ON THE WATER

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 02, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Yeah it's pretty sad.  I went to the public access on sat to get something out of my truck and there were three trucks parked on the ice right there at the public access.  Somebody put a white hardside with no reflectors right next to the trail 200 yards from shore so be careful coming on to the lake not to run into it.  I'm still a big fan of catch and keep your one fish and you have to stop fishing. Treat it just like king fishing one and done.   I would also like to see barbless hooks in the refs as well.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Hey Wes when you see stuff like that on spacebook you should say something.  It's possible that those people are just ignorant and don't know any better.  I don't think the guiding will last very long especially if they are keeping fish, once the lake gets some more snow and starts getting overflowy that should hopefully keep the lazy truck fisherman off the lake.  Fish and game will eventually just shut the lake down to winter fishing if it gets to bad.

Offline wesak81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Jason.  I have been blocked by every fishing page on facebook and even got threatened to be sued by the lake guide service. I have no way of saying anything.

Offline wesak81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Most people on Facebook are total douche bags and think they know more

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2017, 02:06 PM »
Yeah that was my impression of them, just a bunch of egos with entiltlment issues.  Thanks for saying something at least, do you know the names of the guides or company's?

Offline FishinHank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep Fish,  It does a body good
« Reply #79 on: Jan 02, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Send em to Paxson. The lakers hammer on the sockeye fry/smolts and they could be thinned out a little.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Tustemena has big fish...just sayin

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:38 PM »
Anybody got a link to these Facebook pages?  I wouldn't mind checking them out.  Not interested in joining, just want to see what's going on.  I've never had a Facebook page or been a part of Facebook.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 03, 2017, 03:33 AM »
I think you'd have to join to see it.  It's just a bunch of folks sharing photos and asking for advice.  Of course a few know it alls, brand loyal fan boys and egos can ruin it.  Any mention of CNR or call out on fish handling and it goes south real quick too. 

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:00 AM »
what is the name of the facebook page, just out of curiosity?  I don't mind looking it just need to know what to look for

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:38 PM »
Maybe if someone explains to them nicely that lake trout are highly susceptible to over harvest.  I know some people are just ignorant and once they are educated they might make better decisions.  Although some people are just selfish and they can't accept any advice no matter how nice you are.  I wouldn't mind seeing these Facebook pages as well.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Alaskan ice fishing and open water seems like a popular one right now, there's a lot of them though, that's the only one I'm actually a member of, the cover photo says it all.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:06 PM »
We tried explaining to them last year how overharvest will destroy the lake but they just kept saying that we were trying to keep people from fishing "our" lake.  We also tried to explain to them how Louise is not a lake to be driving trucks on and that got the majority of us banned from their stupid site.  You can't argue with stupid people they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Offline FishinHank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep Fish,  It does a body good
« Reply #87 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:28 PM »
We tried explaining to them last year how overharvest will destroy the lake but they just kept saying that we were trying to keep people from fishing "our" lake.  We also tried to explain to them how Louise is not a lake to be driving trucks on and that got the majority of us banned from their stupid site.  You can't argue with stupid people they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Sounds like Kurt out at crosswinds. I got told multiple times that it was closed to sport fishing because he had "rights". Sucks he didn't get busted with the rest of his friends. He boasted about all the bears he had piled at the end of "his" runway.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 03, 2017, 03:03 PM »
I am a member of that ice fishing group, and have fished with some of them, even at Lake Louise. I have never ever seen a Lake Trout kept. The guys I fished with, like me, refuse to keep a lake trout. We only CnR. The occasional burbot gets kept obviously, but the guys I fished with from that group understand that these lakers are 30+ years old and can be over fished easily.

There are obviously some hot heads in the group as well, that'll be the case whenever there is a group of 1500+ people. But please don't think the majority are like that. Many are just helping sharing tips/tricks, helping other people who are new the sport, or, and probably the vast majority, just showing pictures. I know members from this site and Alaska Outdoor forums clash with them, but I am apart of all 3 communities and can promise you they aren't quite as bad as people make them out to be. 

Not to open a can of worms, but the thing I would worry about at Lake Louise regarding the fishery are some of the Russian (that's what the locals told me) set netters....

Anyways, I will be back up there this Thursday to Sunday, so if you see an Arctic Oven on the lake, feel free to say hi :)
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:43 PM »
I agree with you that the majority of the FB guys are CnR oriented and that's good we need more people with that mind set.  The problem I have is their lack of respect for the land and the lake Louise community.  The lake Louise community spends allot of money every year to groom and maintain trails so they can safely haul freight to there cabins and transport their family's to and from.  Last year we warned those guys not to drive their trucks and wheelers on the lake because it was a safety hazard and they laughed at us and proceeded to tear up the trails.  I know of two people that rolled freight sleds damaging their materials and one guy was injured all because some jerk tore up the trails with a truck, I'm sure there were other incidents I didn't hear about.  One of the guys on there put his truck though the ice and then proceeded to bad mouth lake Louise lodge on social media because they wouldn't drive their own vehicles on the lake to pull them out, John even warned the guy before he drove out on the lake.  Now I'm sure it's not all the guys on there but a few bad apples will ruin it for everyone and I'm not kidding when I say that fish and game will simply shut down the winter fishery.  Back in the 90s when they used to plow roads on the lake the burbot fishery was almost wiped out so fish and game shut down all burbot fishing for something like ten years. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.