Author Topic: Marcum Pancam  (Read 3001 times)

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum Pancam
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:41 AM »
I have been looking to purchase one of these systems for quite a while but had a hard time finding any reviews and information bout it. Since I recently purchase one of these systems from Cabelas, here is what i thought so far:

Case - 9/10 - could use some additional organizational pockets for the stabilizer fin (which i haven't used yet) and charging cables, etc. i am a bit OCD when it comes to organization of my hunting/fishing gear so this kinda bugs me a bit.

Panning Motor - 9/10 - I think Marcum increased the horsepower of the panning motor for 2015/2016 model year, as a few places i talked to said they changed the motor and Cabelas was listing it as "new". I haven't had an issue with it panning and have used it in -23c weather. my only complaint is there is a preset amount that it will pan when you press the button in the app, not a huge deal as i pan until i get close to the lure i want to watch and make micro adjustments by physically turning the unit over the hole.

Camera - 8/10 - The image is HDish. the water i have tested it in has been less than great but was still able to get some pretty good pictures and videos. no problems telling what species is looking at your lure. It has a automatic Color/BW changer when light conditions are low. i wish this was manual in the app as i think its set a bit to sensitive, not a huge deal tho. So far the camera hasn't seemed to spook any fish. spent a day watching Perch, Eyes, Jacks and Tulibe swim around it and bite lures. The LED light feature is bright but in murky water like i have been fishing is almost useless. I have used the camera in up to 32' of water so far and i am impressed. I have had 3 devices streaming the video with minimal delay/lag. with only my iPad connected it was near flawless. i haven't streamed video  more than 15' away from the unit so i can't comment on the advertised 300' range.

Setup and App - 9/10 - Downloading the app and setting up the wireless network is a breeze. The app is simple and clean with large buttons (on my iPad) for recording video and snapping pics quick with gloves on. as i mentioned before i wish there was a color/bw option but maybe they will release an update to include that. One thing i forgot about when i connect the camera to my iPhone, it halts all data transfer to my phone, (iMessage, Streaming music, Pics etc.) because the phone thinks the pancam wireless network will give it a connection to the world. wrong. an iPad or another tablet is the best for viewing so you don't have to turn off the WiFi to send or receive data on your cell phone.

Battery - 10/10 - i used the pancam for a full 8 hour day of fishing and it was still reading 2/3 capacity. i used the panning feature minimally but i think you would get a full day out of it even if you were spinning circles. not to mention it has the capability of attaching an additional battery on top. my iPad lasted abut 5 hours but i anticipated that would be what died first and brought along a power rocks brand portable battery charger and that kept it going all day.

Overall - 9/10 - i am happy i purchased this system so far. ive only used it a handful of times so the durability and longevity of the battery is yet to be determined. apples to apples tho, i still got a system with a good camera that can pan for less money than other units in its class. this also keeps the girlfriend entertained when she accompanies me to the ice which allows me to stay out longer :). happy fishin!
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
Re: Marcum Pancam
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:24 AM »
Thanks for your own personal review! :thumbsup:  :clap: Did Cabelas have that unit on sale?

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for your own personal review! :thumbsup:  :clap: Did Cabelas have that unit on sale?
It didn't say specifically that it was on sale but it was cheaper than it was in November when i began looking at it...
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline toxic111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:21 PM »
my wife got me one for christmas & so far it has been ok.. the factory battery froze up on my first trip at -20.. once I got it, and the phone warmed up I was able to test it.. I will still need to play with it more..

Offline Dragon67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:34 AM »
Great job on the review! Very Informative.
Trevor

Offline Phillyphilster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Great review! Does the unit float? I was thinking if it did you could use it on open water.. 

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:37 AM »
I don't believe it would float. its designed to sit suspended over an 8" hole.

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:43 AM »
I have been looking to purchase one of these systems for quite a while but had a hard time finding any reviews and information bout it. Since I recently purchase one of these systems from Cabelas, here is what i thought so far:

Case - 9/10 - could use some additional organizational pockets for the stabilizer fin (which i haven't used yet) and charging cables, etc. i am a bit OCD when it comes to organization of my hunting/fishing gear so this kinda bugs me a bit.

Panning Motor - 9/10 - I think Marcum increased the horsepower of the panning motor for 2015/2016 model year, as a few places i talked to said they changed the motor and Cabelas was listing it as "new". I haven't had an issue with it panning and have used it in -23c weather. my only complaint is there is a preset amount that it will pan when you press the button in the app, not a huge deal as i pan until i get close to the lure i want to watch and make micro adjustments by physically turning the unit over the hole.

Camera - 8/10 - The image is HDish. the water i have tested it in has been less than great but was still able to get some pretty good pictures and videos. no problems telling what species is looking at your lure. It has a automatic Color/BW changer when light conditions are low. i wish this was manual in the app as i think its set a bit to sensitive, not a huge deal tho. So far the camera hasn't seemed to spook any fish. spent a day watching Perch, Eyes, Jacks and Tulibe swim around it and bite lures. The LED light feature is bright but in murky water like i have been fishing is almost useless. I have used the camera in up to 32' of water so far and i am impressed. I have had 3 devices streaming the video with minimal delay/lag. with only my iPad connected it was near flawless. i haven't streamed video  more than 15' away from the unit so i can't comment on the advertised 300' range.

Setup and App - 9/10 - Downloading the app and setting up the wireless network is a breeze. The app is simple and clean with large buttons (on my iPad) for recording video and snapping pics quick with gloves on. as i mentioned before i wish there was a color/bw option but maybe they will release an update to include that. One thing i forgot about when i connect the camera to my iPhone, it halts all data transfer to my phone, (iMessage, Streaming music, Pics etc.) because the phone thinks the pancam wireless network will give it a connection to the world. wrong. an iPad or another tablet is the best for viewing so you don't have to turn off the WiFi to send or receive data on your cell phone.

Battery - 10/10 - i used the pancam for a full 8 hour day of fishing and it was still reading 2/3 capacity. i used the panning feature minimally but i think you would get a full day out of it even if you were spinning circles. not to mention it has the capability of attaching an additional battery on top. my iPad lasted abut 5 hours but i anticipated that would be what died first and brought along a power rocks brand portable battery charger and that kept it going all day.

Overall - 9/10 - i am happy i purchased this system so far. ive only used it a handful of times so the durability and longevity of the battery is yet to be determined. apples to apples tho, i still got a system with a good camera that can pan for less money than other units in its class. this also keeps the girlfriend entertained when she accompanies me to the ice which allows me to stay out longer :). happy fishin!

Just to update this review. After using it about 7-8 times, i had to exchange it at Cabelas for a new one. I was using it to monitor my tip up hole when it was struck by Jack's 3 times in the morning and by the late afternoon i could no longer get an image to display, only a blue screen. The guy at in the fishing section that they have had a few units returned with the same issue and they suspect it to be water damage to the camera. Cabelas was very good and exchanged the unit with no questions asked. i was a bit disappointed that it leaked water to the camera but it was beat up pretty good by fish so its hard to say if it was a design fault or just the beating it got from those Jacks...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.