Author Topic: Your most anticipated hard water spots  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
Your most anticipated hard water spots
« on: Oct 24, 2007, 01:27 PM »
For me personally, I've got a few in mind that I simply can't wait to fish.

There's a spot on LOTW that produces piles of snot rockets and the occasional pig northern, jumbo perch, the odd large mouth and even crappies that I've been thinking about all summer. I'll probably spend a fair ammount of time on some un fished spots on Lake of the Woods searching for that 40" plus northern and for some big eyes. I definately want to get on Shoal Lake for some whities too.

I'm yet to fish the parkland for trout on hard water, but that's on the list for a long weekend too.

What about you guys? Where are you most anxious to fish?

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
Re: Your most anticipated hard water spots
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2007, 02:24 PM »
My usual "Home away from Home",the not so secret spot!!!!!!!And of course  K-Channel...............love those big toothies ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2007, 03:40 PM »
Hey BB, I'll have to make a trip out to K-Channel with you this year.

:tipup: Flag!

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2007, 04:00 PM »
Actually BB, Ralph, Mark and I are building a nice perminent shack at Wendigo over the next couple weeks. We'll have to get you out there at some point. There are some absolutely giant pike in the bay there and we're setting it up on a hot weed line dropoff so it should produce well.

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Where ever the ice forms first....:)
Let there be ice.

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2007, 06:26 AM »
Actually BB, Ralph, Mark and I are building a nice perminent shack at Wendigo over the next couple weeks. We'll have to get you out there at some point. There are some absolutely giant pike in the bay there and we're setting it up on a hot weed line dropoff so it should produce well.
Have sled.................. ....Will Travel.Consider it a done deal.Will have to pick a date

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Think I will be haunting my home lake Dauphin most of this winter .was unbelievable first ice fishing.

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2007, 08:52 PM »
Duck Mountains!

And my "secret" big pike spot, but that's not until late March.

Offline minorintrusion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2007, 02:37 AM »
Are any of you guys familiar with fishing McGregor? A buddy and I would like to snowshoe into McGregor (in past Tulabi) for a few days of fishing/winter camping and could use any tips we can get.

Thanks in advance!
\\\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.\\\"<br />-John Steinbeck

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:18 AM »
Never fished it, but I do have a hard copy depth map of the lake. I could always try scanning it for you if you do end up going in there. At least it's a start. :o

Offline minorintrusion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2007, 10:07 PM »
Thank you Boatless, for your kind offer... no worries! I am a Map Office junkie and there is not much that I enjoy more than to go buy a new map down on Century! I have been through McGregor in a canoe on my way up the Bird River system but I have never thrown a line into the lake... I'm still hoping to run into some waypoints before our trip!
\\\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.\\\"<br />-John Steinbeck

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2007, 01:52 PM »
McGregor...There is a snowmobile trail into Elbow Lake, I'm not sure if it continues on to McGregor.  I've been through it many times in the summer on my way up to Snowshoe Lake, but only fished at the base of the falls at the upstream end of the lake.  Lots of walleye and pike to be caught though...maybe whitefish as well.  One time while canoeing across  I witnessed a large school of walleye surface feeding on insects in the middle of the lake.  It was pretty neat, at times I could see close to 100 fish with backs out the water.  I've never seen walleye do that before or since.   
Let there be ice.

Offline fishncamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2007, 06:04 PM »
Looking towards heading north for lakers this year (Clearwater, Athapap, and Reed) :) . Plan on going every year but something always comes up.....hope to make it this year though. :)

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2007, 05:36 PM »
Well, my only anticipated spot is Cedar...I've managed to get up there for a weekend the last two Aprils...it has been a blast with mild temps and thick ice and some decent fishing overall.

Beyond that, I'd like to get into some trout bigger than the foot long fellas I've found at Reynolds.

I'd like to take a shot at some serious pike again...I've given it a couple of half-baked attempts in the past...I just finally want to be able to hoist one over 40".

A good day perch fishing at Twin / Delta with the family would be nice again.

I guess I'm being wishy-washy, but I tend not to make huge plans...I get so disappointed when they don't come to pass.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2007, 09:10 PM »
I don't really have any plans to go to specific lakes yet, but that will change as the winter weather allows.  Like Thriller, I'm looking forward to getting a mess of perch this winter, they have been in short supply for me, as I'm limited to where I can get to on foot.  A MA pike certificate to add to the wall would also be good, my best so far is 39 1/2" !!  And maybe some walleye for a mouth-watering dinner on a cold, dark evening in January....YUM!

So, nothing specific -  I'm a generalist in fishing, I think they're all fun to catch.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline snopro31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2007, 05:27 PM »
Only time I have this winter for fishing will be either on the Saskatchewan River, Barbe Lake, Rocky or Clearwater Lake. 

The mouth of the Carrot is usually a good spot for pike and walleye. 

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2007, 05:38 AM »
Sandy Lake when it ever decides to start getting cold enough to freeze the darn water,
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2007, 10:00 PM »
Give me a call or email we have to hook up Tony

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.