Author Topic: Delta Beach  (Read 3380 times)

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://i63.tinypic.com/xoeceo.jpg
Delta Beach
« on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:59 PM »
Just curious if anyone has been out there recently?  I have heard some second hand info that there has been some perch and wallys caught recently?  I'm pretty sure I will check it out for myself Friday, but anyone want to play spoiler and let me know what's in store for me?

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Delta Beach
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Haven'T heard about Delta area but I did here that they are doing excellent on the west side of the lake!

Offline specialized

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:42 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  I have also heard good second hand reports coming out of there as well but would like to here first hand.  I also wonder how people are getting on out there.  I would guess on the east side of the cabins? 
I think I will make it out there with you wood and fill a pail or two.

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:02 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  I have also heard good second hand reports coming out of there as well but would like to here first hand.  I also wonder how people are getting on out there.  I would guess on the east side of the cabins? 
I think I will make it out there with you wood and fill a pail or two.

Sounds good!  I talked to a couple guys this am and they suggested we get on at the portage diversion.  Was told that wallys and perch could be found straight out from there........

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:58 PM »
where abouts is the portage diversion?
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:02 PM »
where abouts is the portage diversion?

Its north of portage off of 227.  Looks like you turn north off the #1 onto 240 then west on 227. approx 3 miles west and you should be at the diversion.

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:14 PM »
I heard they were going to break up some ice there (right at diversion on lake) as well from a fisherman, don't know if that is a fact.

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:11 PM »
The Delta Report:  Headed out from WPG around 6am, despite the frigid -40 with windchill today.  No truck access to get on the lake so we hiked it out a mile or so.  Marked fish consistently till we left at 1:30 but they were just not biting.  Ended up with 4 keepers 2 throw backs and 2 tubilee.....a very dismal report.  Used everything in the tackle box, lives, and saltys and eyes didn't seem to matter....they would just come up off the bottom (sometimes 2 at a time) and sniff it out then take off. Not sure what else we could have done.....

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I have never been there.. Go the sled loaded up for sunday and still am unsure of the delta area, usually fish twin but I am up to try something new. When I head up 240 up to the lake what is there? How will I know where to go from there? How far out should one drive out to get to a decent depth or does it get deeper there right away? Sorry foor all the ????"s newbie to delta here lol Or is one better off going to twin and driving out from there? (looking for some eyes and even some perch)

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I have never been there.. Go the sled loaded up for sunday and still am unsure of the delta area, usually fish twin but I am up to try something new. When I head up 240 up to the lake what is there? How will I know where to go from there? How far out should one drive out to get to a decent depth or does it get deeper there right away? Sorry foor all the ????"s newbie to delta here lol Or is one better off going to twin and driving out from there? (looking for some eyes and even some perch)
Take 240 north until 227, turn west for 4 miles you will cross the drain and then turn north go about 5 miles to lake.  From there with sled you will be fine.  Not sure where guys are fishing but used to fish in a NW direction a couple of miles out.  Watching the comercial guys pull nets last year was pretty neat.  Good size walleye in the nets and good size northerns as well. 

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2011, 08:29 AM »
thanks for the help! ;) going out in the mornign sunday

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2011, 12:36 PM »
The Delta Report:  Headed out from WPG around 6am, despite the frigid -40 with windchill today.  No truck access to get on the lake so we hiked it out a mile or so.  Marked fish consistently till we left at 1:30 but they were just not biting.  Ended up with 4 keepers 2 throw backs and 2 tubilee.....a very dismal report.  Used everything in the tackle box, lives, and saltys and eyes didn't seem to matter....they would just come up off the bottom (sometimes 2 at a time) and sniff it out then take off. Not sure what else we could have done.....
This is what the perch have been doing for the past couple years. Fish are constantly marked...just come up off the bottom for a sniff and sink back down. What ever happened to the days when perch were so aggressive that it was only possible to work one rod is far beyond me... :(

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline mcdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • w
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2011, 02:41 PM »
This is what the perch have been doing for the past couple years. Fish are constantly marked...just come up off the bottom for a sniff and sink back down. What ever happened to the days when perch were so aggressive that it was only possible to work one rod is far beyond me... :(

FF
Could be smaller numbers of Perch compared to a huge minnow population . I've never seen so many tiny minnows hugging the shore line this last few years just before ice. :o

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Could be smaller numbers of Perch compared to a huge minnow population . I've never seen so many tiny minnows hugging the shore line this last few years just before ice. :o

Yup could be right...or massive amounts of forage fish and a strong perch population :-\

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2011, 04:32 PM »
I wonder how lake man is for wayye right now?

Offline Ivan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Anyone heading to Delta this Saturday? Could you, please, post a report if you do in the evening. Planning to head out to diversion and walk out on ice this Sunday morning.

Offline ex-28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2011, 04:14 PM »
is there any 4x4 truck access around delta beach  ? heading out somwhere tomorrow morn would like to rtry for perch just need access on lake with toyota tacoma 4x4    either twin beaches or delta beach , but never gone out that way before so looking adn would really appreciate any info :)
Looking for some company ?

email/Msn: [email protected]
Yahoo: Digger106868
Phone/text: 296-7071
Blackberry Pin: 232D22B

Marcum lx3 Flasher
Eskimo Quick Fish 3
Normark Swedish Ice Auger & Drill Adaptor
i'm usually free most of the time !

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:57 PM »
is there any 4x4 truck access around delta beach  ? heading out somwhere tomorrow morn would like to rtry for perch just need access on lake with toyota tacoma 4x4    either twin beaches or delta beach , but never gone out that way before so looking adn would really appreciate any info :)

I've been asking around locally but haven't heard of any 4x4 access. I'm pretty sure the lake at Delta Beach is only accessible via snowmobile or walk-on ... likely not quads either unless with a track-kit. Anyone that knows for sure, please speak up! ???
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Ivan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:02 PM »
I went to Delta this Sunday. Only seen snowmobiles. quad would be challenging. For sure no cars/trucks. I have seen a tuck get to diversion itself driving down the channel. There must be a road there But you cant get on the ice. Lots of snow. it is packed to support a person but wold not hold a vehicle. Fished about 100 yards out of diversion had some whitefish and a dozen of perch. Walking from Delta to diversion was tough as well trail got huge snowbanks and some places you can "sink" waist deep. Not going there again without a snowmobile

Offline ex-28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Ok wow by sounds of it no chance without a slen hehe appreciate the repllys ;)
Looking for some company ?

email/Msn: [email protected]
Yahoo: Digger106868
Phone/text: 296-7071
Blackberry Pin: 232D22B

Marcum lx3 Flasher
Eskimo Quick Fish 3
Normark Swedish Ice Auger & Drill Adaptor
i'm usually free most of the time !

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Fished about 100 yards out of diversion had some whitefish and a dozen of perch.

Probably not whitefish, most likely tulibee (sp?) looks similar.

A dozen perch isn't actually too bad for what the fishing has been like for the last couple years.
Six years ago when Delta was really hot, you had to go out a mile or two to really get into the perch, and even at that you have to move if your not right on top of them. But I didn't know that then and all I caught was about 16, still enough work to clean.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Ahhhh....I miss the good old days at Delta. I remember fondly fishing there with Icebraker and Jumbomaster at the end of the season (perhaps 4 years ago). We each had a 5 gallon pail full of perch and 9 HUGE burbots. The load of equipment and fish plus 2 passengers was too much for my quad to handle in the deep soft snow. TK10fire came to my rescue with his Bravo and towed me off the lake. I was so impressed with the Bravo's performance, that's why I eventually bought one myself  :)
Great memories......but also remember cleaning fish into the wee hours of the night  ;D
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.