Author Topic: eskimo ice augers  (Read 7899 times)

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: eskimo ice augers
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:58 AM »
Nothing wrong with Eskimo !!!!I got the mako 8" sure it's nice to be loyal to brands,but I'm not about to sack jiffy or any other brand just because I own an Eskimo.as I said.... I got my Eskimo over a yr ago and drilled hundreds of holes without sharpening the blades yet,1-2 pulls and no problems.I was out with a guy who had a 3hp jiffy legend with the tesc motor and it took 5min to cut 1 hole.maybe it was dull or an old lemon but yet I still don't sack it.I'm just greatful that MY auger cuts like a gem.I'm sure that every brand has it's lemons with mass production,all I'm saying is that I'm happy thus far with my Eskimo.that is all.good luck with your purchase
WELL PUT!!!
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline fireguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:22 AM »
We've got three eskimo's we use all the time. (not all at once). My son has one, myself and one we use to open holes for our local fish derby. We have had no problems with them. Check out St. Andrews Parts & Power. Just off of Mcphillips road and St. Andrews road. He had the best prices then anywhere else we had checked out.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2010, 03:56 PM »
on the cold days outside if you fish with a 10" it becomes an 8 after a few hours, if you fish with an 8 it becomes a 6 after a few hours, theres my reasoning....and yes he always has something on sale....hes a bit of a different bird in my eyes, but it was a good deal and i checked out St. Andrews but they were also sold out of 10"

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:44 PM »

Own a Jiffy right now and can't complain about anything , White Lightning in a two HP with a eight inch auger .Even the blade is still the first one , never been sharpened yet !. Cuts like a hot knife thru butter and am very happy with it .............but it's already nine years old and it is time to upgrade , so all the info has been great .Does the Eskimo have one blade or two ? Might look at a four stroke ??
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Own a Jiffy right now and can't complain about anything , White Lightning in a two HP with a eight inch auger .Even the blade is still the first one , never been sharpened yet !. Cuts like a hot knife thru butter and am very happy with it .............but it's already nine years old and it is time to upgrade , so all the info has been great .Does the Eskimo have one blade or two ? Might look at a four stroke ??
Dual blades!

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:08 PM »
They guy at the esso station on 44 is Don and he use to own D n R tackle on main and Leila.
He is a very nice guy, I have known him for maybe 10 years now.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 20, 2010, 03:25 PM »
tried out the new z51 today, it definately has some bite to it, im not a small guy and i had to hang onto it, cut thru nice, very happy with my purchase, it runs super nice, seems like it will idle for ever even when its cold, unlike some of the augers ive seen.  auger definately had more bite than the fish did today, only managed two 17s a sauger and a 11.5 in fat perch out on lw, oh well it was a beautiful day

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 20, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Just wondering why you're looking at getting a 10"?

Because nothing will "tick" you off more than not being able to bring the fish of a lifetime through the hole b/c you didn't want to spend a few more bucks.  Besides that, I find that I have to bring the transducer up (or i get more tangles) with most fish on a 8" hole but only on the bigger ones when I am fishing a 10".  A 8" also reduces to 6" pretty quickly @ -30 where as a 10" your only stuck with a 8"  ;).

That all being said, if you only target perch or other panfish than a 8" is more than enough.

Svengalli

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:14 PM »
The 10"is nice for going for big pike in the spring, also it is nice to leave the trans down in the hole and not have to worry about it getting bumped or tangled all the time, for what it is worth maybe 20 bucks get a 10" better to be too big than to small (insert dirty comment here ) lolololololol ;D ;D ;D
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Hey Guys,
Saw that St.Andrews Parts and Power has a Eskimo 8" "Viper" for only $229.95
Has any one ever seen one of these in action, They say it is 1.2 HP (33cc).

The price seems right.
If you believe you can.....or believe you can't....
Your right

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:00 AM »
I have the mako 1.8 HP runs great I think I can turn a 10" with it but the viper I think will only handle a 8" max if u dont ever want to upgrade it should be good.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline TURBO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Hey Guys,

The price seems right.

Thats the Stingray model, I picked one up last week and love it. Some might say it's too small/underpowered but it sure beats drilling holes by hand. Takes me maybe 10 seconds to drill a hole. :icefish:

Offline fishinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight lines & Str8 shootin'
« Reply #42 on: Feb 23, 2010, 02:30 PM »
Not that there aren't enough replies on this string................ . bought the Eskimo Mako 8 " this year and have about 100 holes (not much) on it already.  Cuts ice beautifully, but like any rig it will get old.

Pretty good buy for 300$.

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2010, 02:41 PM »
I own a Eskimo barracuda 2 stroke Tecumseh engine(not sure of hp 48cc??) came with a 10" auger,purchased an 8"  auger for it, well over 1000 holes with no problems (original blades still). Starts in 4-5 pulls with choke on cold days, warmer days alot quicker. I have no problems with the unit, paid $300 for it three years ago.
Ron

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 25, 2010, 11:35 AM »
Hey Guys,

The price seems right.

As already stated, that's the Stingray with the Viper engine, and as long as you are not into racing while you're drilling holes it's a great auger (and really it's not that much slower than most other augers).  I've had mine for a couple of years now, and it has proven to be very reliable, great on gas, very light, cuts nice, and cheap to buy.  I love mine.  229.95 sounds like a SMOKING deal on that auger, if I didn't already have one, I'd be on the phone already seeing if they have any left.  You can't beat it at that price.  If you are looking for a great deal on a good auger, I'd say that's it.

And I can't seem to find a video of a Stingray in action, so maybe I'll have to make one, but one of our members , TeamLund, was kind enough to make this video with his Eskimo shark Z71 3.7 hp-10":
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=133652.0

Offline jiggerintheriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2010, 12:22 AM »
I also have an 8" Eskimo mako, and I have to say it's the best machine I've ever owned. It cuts ice like no tomarrow and its very easy to maintain as long as you treat it nice. I bought mine from Yettman's last year and havn't had an issue with it yet, probably drilled over 150 holes with it by now.

Offline TinmanDon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "LeGyver"
« Reply #46 on: Feb 26, 2010, 05:12 PM »
I'll gladly put my Eskimo Barracuda against any Jiffy or Strikemaster.....bring it on!!!

Offline GREEN-BACK-HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 01, 2010, 02:15 PM »
I'll gladly put my Eskimo Barracuda against any Jiffy or Strikemaster.....bring it on!!!
  HOW LONG YOU HAD YOUR ESKIMO

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #48 on: Mar 01, 2010, 02:38 PM »
I have had my 8" ESKIMO for 15 years no problems.

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Pink Slips?

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:12 PM »
My buddy just had his 8" Eskimo blades sharpened. He now cuts about the same speed as my Jiffy 10" with the 'Ripper' blade when we first start out. If you factor in the lack of a primer on the Eskimo, my Jiffy starts quicker but takes a minute to warm up. The Eskimo seems to idle better until mine is adequately warmed then my Jiffy is much faster. I prefer the ringed style of cutting head on the Jiffy as it doesn't break my wrists when it hits the water. I would second the opinion that a 3hp motor is better for the larger augers if you cut lots IMHO.

Both models have their positives and negatives. I don't think anyone will go wrong with either.

My 2 cents,
Glen

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Mar 02, 2010, 03:26 PM »
just so you know the new eskimos have a primer....not sure about the older ones

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #52 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:13 PM »
just so you know the new eskimos have a primer....not sure about the older ones

The older ones do not. 15 plus years :unsure:

Offline GREEN-BACK-HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Pink Slips?
U MIGHT GET A SIRPRISE

Offline fishinwilly4g63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 03, 2010, 12:23 PM »
U MIGHT GET A SIRPRISE

Surprise.

I would take your word on Jiffy's, if you knew how to spell.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.