Author Topic: Ice lures to open water  (Read 920 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Ice lures to open water
« on: Feb 12, 2024, 12:24 PM »
Doing a few more lure modifications (bladed treble, feathered treble, etc) and got me wondering why I don’t use more ice lures fishing open water.  Bigger lures like kastmasters, buckshots, pk spoons, big dinner bells, etc.  Currently only using jigging rapalas and rippin raps in this way. Guessing I’m behind the times. What am I missing?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Ice lures to open water
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2024, 12:50 PM »
My son and I use ice fishing lures and ice rods when fishing for Perch in summer. Makes it more fun.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2024, 12:52 PM »
My son and I use ice fishing lures and ice rods when fishing for Perch in summer. Makes it more fun.

Do the same here it makes pan fishing a lot easier with the grandkids as well.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2024, 09:01 AM »

I always have an ice rod with ice jigs and stop it straight down where ever I'm sitting in the boat
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2024, 09:48 AM »
I use ice flies on my fly rod for gills in the late spring. Beaded spoons work on perch all summer and crappies in the spring.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2024, 10:44 AM »
I would never park a boat directly over fish, anchor, and jig is probably the biggest reason. Most ice jigs are too light to use drifting. I do use jigging raps open water.
-Tom

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2024, 11:27 AM »
Walleye and perch seem to like Northland Buckshot Rattle Spoons in summer as well as in winter.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2024, 11:45 AM »
Back in the day Late 80's early 90's In-fisherman did an article on jigging spoons in open water. It was the next big thing in walleye fishing. I loaded up and only used spoons when everyone else was throwing jigs. Did very well, caught a couple giants pre-fishing for tournaments, made a bunch of checks. One of my partners was complaining about the spoons cause he was pre-fishing, I couldn't afford to fish tournaments at the time when I got a large eye the day before a derby. He raided my box and finished second.
I still have a spoon rigged today and it's a secret weapon. Ripping raps and rattle traps are also in the arsenal fished ice style.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2024, 07:40 AM »
Most of the ice fishing lures that I used, were all originally open water lures.  For examples:

Jig lures like Blakemore's Road Runners, Northland Crappie Thumper jigs, Mimic Minnow swim jigs, Whistler jigs, Bluefox Foxee Jigs, Gapen Freshwater Shrimp jigs, and Nuclear Ants. CJ&S Flu Flu jigs

Spoons like Eppinger Daredevle, Acme Cleo, Phoebe, Kastmaster, K.O. Wobbler, Mepps Syclops

The few that were actually ice fishing lures I used as first before going to open water are Bay de Noc Swedish Pimple, Vingla, Do Jigger.  Something like Northland's Bro's Bloodworm jigs works very well for open water fishing too.  Or rather I should just say that the bloodworm plastic works well.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:05 AM »
When the cover comes off the boat, the ice jig bag goes in. Weekend trip where I might get a chance to wet a line, jig bag goes too. Only thing I consider not for both are worm harnesses and diving plugs.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:58 AM »
I put some fusion feather trebles on a 1/2 ounce kastmaster, 3/8 ounce PK Spoon, and a large Do Jigger (biggest I've seen...not sure on size) last night.  Look pretty good and are going in the open water tackle box. 

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2024, 09:47 PM »
Something like Northland's Bro's Bloodworm jigs works very well for open water fishing too.  Or rather I should just say that the bloodworm plastic works well.

I bought the last 20 pucks of red bloodworm bodies available online two years ago. (I don't know why Northland can't pour more)

They're so good in open water, that I have cranky old men coming over to ask what the hell I'm throwing.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2024, 11:21 AM »
Fishgut....guessing ebay to try and find those bloodworms?  Was looking for some the other day. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.