Author Topic: Large oblong jigs  (Read 445 times)

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
Large oblong jigs
« on: Oct 17, 2018, 10:52 PM »
Hey folks,
Just curious if anyone uses the larger oblong almost banana shaped jigs? Not sure how but I have a few larger jig with a big ol hook curve to them and large almost banana shaped body. My only guess is they're prob only good for larger fish like Walleye, lake trout maybe Northerns if your actively jigging for them which I never do. Also I tried using one on a tip up but never had any success. I'm debating if I even want to throw them in my new tackle bag this year. Thanks
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Large oblong jigs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Are these what you are referring to? I used these pier fishing Tampa bay for Pompeno and Spanish mackerel as I saw the locals crushing with them. After reading up on the jig I discovered they were created for ice fishing. I was thinking about trying them open water jigging over reefs. You snap the jig up and it wobbles something fierce as it drops back down. I would think pike and walleye could be convinced to bite with it.

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:35 PM »
Yep those are exactly it but somehow they got put in a ice fishing kit. Prob good for stirring up the bottom but only for large fish
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2018, 04:52 AM »
Kinda sorta reminds me of those Russian hooks I had a few years back. Supposed to be good for perch, but I didn't use them that much but hey, give 'em a shot. Maybe tip them with a small minnow.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2018, 05:13 AM »
thinking those are "jigawhopper"s. been around since the 60,,s or 70,s. many sizes from about 3/4 in. to over 2 1/2 in. long. use em here for wallys ,n, perch. use em to pound bottom. they work like any other lure: sometimes. wire

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:06 AM »
Yep, Jigawhopper made 'em first, called 'em "Walleye Hawger" jigs. Northland had a similar product, the Fire-Eye Swim'r jig. They came in more sizes than just the large ones and I liked that they had a place to clip a stinger at the big end.  I use the small ones (1/8 oz.) for perch, the 1/4 oz. for walleyes and rarely the 3/8 if I'm on big 'eyes or sometimes to anchor a minnow for pike.

Here's a peek @ the small ones:

And the 1/4 oz. version:

These were cast from a Do-It mold, I don't have any pics of the 3/8 oz. you'll have to use your imagination  ;)

Northland actually had a 1/16th oz. offering that I bought a bunch of when they were discontinued because no one makes a mold that casts that size.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:27 AM »
I agree it most likely is a whopper , I use them occasionally in different sizes for  perch , walleyes and lake trout ,
 Dicks sporting goods sells a knock off called the buccaneer wiggle jig ,

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:59 AM »
I used the small versions back before the tungsten wave hit the states.  They rarely caught bluegill, but definitely fooled some crappies and stocked trout.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2018, 07:13 AM »
I no longer use them since a variety of spoon versions came out as well as that I mostly panfish or catfish.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.