Author Topic: chip lake burbot  (Read 4210 times)

Offline TylerThomson

• IceShanty Rookie
chip lake burbot
« on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:22 PM »
I'm working a pipeline in Drayton valley and was thinking of trying chip lake for burbot one night after work.   Navionics doesn't seem to have a map of the lake.   Any tips on where to start looking? 

Also if anyone knows of any other lakes around the Drayton,  Leduc area for burbot let me know.

Thanks
Tyler

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: chip lake burbot
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:03 PM »
I went first and last time this year.  I know none of our lakes are supreme water quality but Chip is a glorified slough.  Turned me off ever going back.  There are so many better lakes imho. 

For Drayton, I would think Buck would be the closest and best bet.   I've only ice fishing it once and didn't see any but they are in there.  Fred Noddin did an interesting fishing report once on finding really decent burbs on Buck.  Should be able to Google and find the report.  ....oh but wait, it is zero now.   
Going to have to get out of PP2 and away from Drayton to keep any. 

Offline TylerThomson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2019, 09:16 PM »
Ok thanks for the info.  I keep looking at maps and googling lakes but nothing I'm finding is very encouraging.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:33 AM »
For sure.  You only really hear about the popular PP2 lakes or PP1 like CVR for instance.  No doubt there are great burbots lakes up North but you really have to put in the time.  I would recommend Marie Lake NB1 but that is really far away from Drayton!  Marie is where the former record came from - 18+ lbs.  My buddy got a 13.5 lber a few years ago there.  I'll keep searching around but I'll probably find little as you have said.

Offline TylerThomson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2019, 01:16 PM »
I live 30 min from Marie lol.   I work 13 hours a day 6 days a week,   I'm just itching to do some fishing though and I'm stuck in Drayton valley.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:29 PM »
The west end of Chip has some good fishing but it gets crowded this time of year. Take the Leahman road north of 16 and then you see the Lobstick river follow that onto the lake and drill a few holes it wont take long for pike. Usually justhammer handles the Burbot start to bite at dusk.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline TylerThomson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Thanks for the heads up I'll give it a shot

Offline TylerThomson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:01 AM »
No keep on burbot but a guy could go try for pike or walleye,   thanks for the suggestion,  now I just need a chance to get out there.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2019, 01:48 PM »
Well if you want Burbs  go to Brazeau lake i think you can keep 10 at this lake .

???  Does it have burbot?  They are not listed in the regs or in the fishing guide.

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2019, 04:46 PM »
No keep on burbot but a guy could go try for pike or walleye,   thanks for the suggestion,  now I just need a chance to get out there.

Buck can be pretty tough in the winter but there are lots of eyes, outside chance of getting 1 over 50.  Hard enough in the summer when the fish are more active.  Can't keep pike anymore.  Generally pretty dead all day than can get pretty crazy at dusk. 

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:07 PM »
No such thing as Brazeau lake, there is the reservoir ( which you are reffering to) and the canal. Niether is known for burbot fishing and because of fluctuating water levels caused by drawing water for power the ice can be very dangerous.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.