Author Topic: Curious  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
Curious
« on: Feb 17, 2019, 09:50 PM »
      If you were to head out fishing for the day and managed to get your vehicle stuck first thing, would you fish all day and then worry about it later or do the smart thing and get yourself righted and ready to to make the trip out before wetting a line? 

Curious as I've seen this a few times now where guys will bury their vehicle and then just assume they can make it out at the end of the day or are to proud to get help.  They fish all day and then at the end sit there struggling like a single mom until someone gives them a hand, rather than getting some help while there is lots of light left in the day.  Boggles my mind.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Curious
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2019, 11:19 PM »
I got stuck on the east side of Badger lake. Had to get AMA to come get me out. Was stuck 3-4 hours, tried digging and digging before making the call, never thought once about going fishing.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:37 AM »
I got my skidoo stuck at Wolf lake in flood water just leaving and past the launch.  Worked hard to get it out.  Turned it back to shore and left exhausted.  If I got my vehicle stuck at the beginning of the day I would do that same and determine then if I still wanted to fish or not. 

Anyone who gets stuck and then goes about fishing is asking for trouble and gets what he/she deserves.  Especially in this weather.  It really is not something to take lightly. 

Offline albertaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:29 AM »
Without question, get it out first, then evaluate possibility of getting stuck again. You may have to park on shore and hike on depending on how far out you fish. Albertaboy

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:07 PM »
When i was 18 and stupid i went fishing. We were in at Crooked in the 70s and access was 20 miles by frozen cutline. We came off the lake at dark. After hours of exhausting attempts we failed miserably. We left word with a fish tech who was staying with us that if we didnt return by 7 to come looking. At midnight we were still 10 miles from the nearest road and 40 miles from Fox. We had been sweating and exposed to minus 28 for the entire day.  We couldnt go any further and were laying down to sleep no one could think straight anymore. We all thought death was near when a set of headlights appeared  down the cutline. It turned out our friend fell asleep and woke up at ten to find us not there. He grabbed a forestry friend and truck. We learned our lesson and never did that again! Stupid is as stupid does!
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline mapleleafman3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • This fog's as thick as peanut butter!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2019, 11:30 AM »
I got stuck last year at McGregor. It was the hard crust with the dusty snow under near. My little ranger is too light for that stuff. Anyway I dung my self out before i set up. I'd rather not have to think about being stuck all day while fishing.
Didn't I ever tell you about Bumbles? Bumbles *bounce*!

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:08 PM »
We had our shack off the point at Silver Beach on Pigeon last year. Camped out one weekend and it snowed about 8" of wet, heavy snow overnight. We usually stayed til about 4:00 on Sundays but that day we left before lunch. The shack was a couple hundred yards from the main trail on the lake and we got stuck about 5-6 times before we hit that trail, then stuck another two times in the 2.5km back to the boat launch. All told, about 2 hours to get off the lake. We had some expanded metal mesh snow ladders and a pair of trac grabbers on the rear tires that helped a bit, but this year I got some tire chains that I will hopefully never need.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Yeah, this year, colder, drier and hard packed.   Also not much snow right now.  Makes for some half decent travel which is great.

Offline TylerThomson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Up in the bonnyville area lake travel is pretty bad this year,  we got lots of snow plus a couple inches of rain.   Tons of flood water on many of the lakes from what I've been hearing from the boys but I haven't been out since the new year.   6 and 1 is a great shift for the bank account,  noir so good for fishing.

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:00 PM »
Floodwater is the worst, there's a little known lake up north I was fishing once, travel conditions seemed great so decided to go for a tour on the bike.  I was zipping along nicely seeing the sights, all of a sudden the ice gives way and I'm sinking.  Thinking oh man this ain't good and then I stop. 

Right to the top of the wheel wells in floodwater.  Took a lot of back and forth but eventually popped out.  Luckily I was on the bike and in the end even if I went right through I could probably make it, but that feeling I won't forget.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.