Author Topic: Ice west of Edmonton?  (Read 3320 times)

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice west of Edmonton?
« on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:23 PM »
Has anyone heard if there is any ice starting to form west of the City (Carson Lake, Kinky ect.)??

Is has been consistently pretty cold at night (-10 - 15 range) in the Whitecourt Hinton area for the last couple weeks...

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice west of Edmonton?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2005, 04:27 PM »
All I have heard is there is good ice up around LLB.

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2005, 06:06 PM »
Right on.

Maybe a couple more weeks until you can walk on to some lakes?

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2005, 11:28 AM »
I would think that the smaller potholes closer to the Rockies in the Foothills are probably ready to go by now. It's been pretty cold out the last little while.

P.S. I am not responsible if you fall through. :P

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2005, 03:29 PM »
I'm thinking some of the smaller waterbodies are likely getting close.  Think I'll pop out in a few minutes and check the local trout reservoir.  I'll wager a guess it has 4" of solid ice.  I'm heading into the city tomorrow for an appointment.  Think I'll visit The Fishin Hole and stock up the bait fridge.  If the ice is good I'll be out bright and early Saturday morning for bows ;D.

Trevor

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2005, 04:36 PM »
Ok, I know most of the guys here don't need to hear this and I really don't want to sound like anyone's dad.  Please don't ever take ANYTHING for granted when it comes to ice safety.  Ice conditions can vary drastically from one location to another as well as from one day to the next.  It's not wise to just take someone's word for it when searching for safe ice.  I have seen 24" of ice on a lake then 8" on another lake only 3km away during the same day.

The only surefire way to know for certain if your favorite fishing location is safe is to go out and assess it for yourself. 

Having said that I went out to check the conditions.  I found 3.5" of good ice.  However they are calling for above freeze temps for the rest of the week.  So I guess Saturday morning might still be questionable for me.  I got to say though, it sure felt good to get out and punch a few holes.  Kind of felt all nostalgic :'(.

Hey, you guys remember what one of these looks like :o ;D:

Trevor

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Trev I got one word for ya...Biotch  ;D  We're looking at extreme warm weather this weekend...not good for ice or hunting.  Have two more weekends hunting left then I'll really be getting antsy for ice.  Hope LLB is good and drivable around christmas!  Was a bit sketchy last year in places.
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2005, 01:28 PM »
Tevor your killing me man!!! Catch anything??? ;D

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2005, 01:32 PM »
Hey Trev,

Lookin' good dude. Maybe we can hook up the first weekend up Dec for some fishin? I'll be ready to go!

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2005, 02:25 PM »
Trev I got one word for ya...Biotch  ;D  We're looking at extreme warm weather this weekend...not good for ice or hunting.  Have two more weekends hunting left then I'll really be getting antsy for ice.  Hope LLB is good and drivable around christmas!  Was a bit sketchy last year in places.

Things aren't as good as you might think here either :-\.  Almost +10 right now and looking that way through the weekend.  Not even supposed to drop below freeze at night >:(.  My gut's sayin stay off the ice until we get a few more cold nights :'(...

As far as LLB I'm sure It will be good to go by Christmas...

Tevor your killing me man!!! Catch anything??? ;D

Sorry to rub it man ;D ;) I actually didn't fish.  I was just out to check conditions...

Hey Trev,

Lookin' good dude. Maybe we can hook up the first weekend up Dec for some fishin? I'll be ready to go!

Sounds good to me.  Maybe we can hit a halfway point like Pigeon or something?  Well, maybe not pigeon but we can come up with something I'm sure...

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:43 PM »
Trevor...where did you dril that hole?

Looking at that made me go and get all my gear ready.  :tipup:
That looks like about 3" of ice?

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:52 PM »
That is exactly 3.5 inches of ice and was drilled at Lamont trout pond...

Trevor

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2005, 09:27 AM »
Did you southern boys get those winds yesterday?  Was like 50 or 60km/h with gusts to like 90km/h.  Also it was 10 degrees all day.  Today they're calling for like 14 above. >:( >:( >:(

What gives man?  I have never had to wait this long for ice in the time I have lived in this province. ???

This keeps up I'm moving to Alaska :-\

Guess I sould have wet a line the other day when I had a chance...

Trevor

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:17 PM »
Well, I think Im going to head out west on Tuesday and check out a couple small lakes and ponds. Most likely I will end up on a stocked pond somewhere. Maybe Wildwood pond.

Has anyone heard if there is any ice on Hasse or any of the small ones in that area?

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:28 PM »
The way the temps have been the last few days and the way it's looking for the next several days I wouldn't count of finding safe ice anywhere near Edmonton.  If I were you I would be waiting for a cold front.  If you do go in search of ice use caution man. 

Trevor

Offline David_the_fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happy Jigging
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2005, 07:15 PM »
i have talked to a person and he said he went fishin to chikkoko lake or somethin like that and he caught about 20 trout in 2 hrs
anywhere on the lake
he said the ice was walkable

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:33 PM »
Well, Kinky Lake and Wildhorse Lake are walkable. I fished both of them yesterday with marginal success.  :-\ The trout are biting, but once 11:00 am hits, its all over.

Wildhorse Lake has got the better ice of the two. Its got 4" of pretty good ice. The weather out in the Hinton area has been d**n cold over the last 3 days (-28 at night, -15 daytime), so the rest of the lakes in the area should all have walkable ice in a week at the most.

Here is a pic from Wildhorse Lake

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:23 PM »
Curtis, that's a beautiful picture :o

Trevor

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2005, 03:01 AM »
Thanks for the heads up mang. I know from this pic, that people will now go out and brave the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.