Author Topic: Kokanee  (Read 1340 times)

Offline woodstock60

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kokanee
« on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:45 AM »
So I know ct deep has been stocking Beach for 2 or three years with these salmon now, and would like to try and target them. Does anyone have any Intel they could share on this subject. Thanks in advance

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:09 AM »
I'm curious as well. Surprised me when they started stocking them in Beach. My understanding is that competition with alewives is difficult for them, and that Beach is loaded with alewives.

Offline woodstock60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Ali wives disappeared from Beach

Offline woodstock60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:21 AM »
Well not all wives just most of them

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:02 PM »
I was wondering why they would stock the Kokanee in Beach with all the Alewife in there. Then after thinking about it and spending years fishing Beach I noticed the decline almost to zero Alewife being in there anymore. I used to fish every spring during there spawn and killed it for a few weeks every year but not in recent years. I thought I was a week or so late every year but I think that's not the case anymore they are just gone. As for fishing for Koks, I never have been able to find them under the ice just in open water fishing at night with lights. That was in West Hill though.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Strange that the alewife population would crash, wonder what changed in the lake? This rings a bell with regards to East Twin, didn't I read somewhere that the alewife population crashed there a few years ago as well? And that the kokanees made a comeback?

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:07 PM »
On a bigger note , the crash of the alwive base in a few Great Lakes led to the crash of trout and salmon  :(populations. These lakes are just coming back after drastic cuts in stocking. I think it was Lake Huron and or Lake Superior or Lake Michigan.

Offline woodstock60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:49 PM »
I  just figured the walleye had crushed them, they seemed to start disappearing when the eyes starting reaching double digits. But either way I want to try and catch them.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:49 AM »
It seems alewives can't handle cold very well we had 2-3 harsh winters in a row  2013-2015 I remember cutting 35in of white and black ice combined in early March winter of 2014 that might be one of the biggest facters in the die off I've been seeing alot stuck to the bottom of the ice on Lilly and zoar some really nice ones 7in+
Go big or go home

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:29 AM »
  I think it was the combination of a few very thick ice years not letting light through for plankton to grow and the increase of big Walleye eating them up. I would catch some fish with multiple 6 to 7 inch alewives in their stomach years ago. I too am looking forward to giving the Koks a try next fall. It would be great if we can get that kind of fishery out east.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.