Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: big creek  (Read 1415 times)

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
big creek
« on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:51 PM »
has anyone been doing any good on the big creek???  i know saylorville has been hit or miss but how about big creek???? 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
Re: big creek
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:53 AM »
big creek has been great for crappie later in the evening. in the past week we have taken around 100 nice crappie  freezer is starting to get full.fish deep

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:37 PM »
big creek has been great for crappie later in the evening. in the past week we have taken around 100 nice crappie  freezer is starting to get full.fish deep

I would agree, I have been killing the crappie after dark and the big gills have been active for me during the morning and before dark.

Offline RippinCrappieLips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Where have you been fishing at dark for crappie.  Hopefully not Lost Lake as prefer other areas up there.  We have been hammering 10'-13' Crappie at ponds but would like to hit a lake for a change.  Just got back from 3 days at 3-Mile... wind was brutal this weekend so more pitch than fishing, about destoyed some porable huts.

Offline brandon mohr _42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:25 PM »
going to fish big creek for the first time this week just woundering if anyone could give me some pointers on the lake and where to go for some crappie I don't need and honey hole info but would like to get a good idea on the lake any info would be great thanks.

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:44 AM »
At night, the crappies are suspended in deep (30+ fow) water.  I have caught them on the east side of the lake just south of the beach,  west side of the lake north of the bridge, east side of the lake out from the  se boat ramp.  Basically every where the water is deep.  You can tell by seeing the shacks at night.  If you have a gps there are coordinates on the DNR website referencing some cedar and artificial structure.  Most of the fish I have caught were on maggots/waxies.   

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2008, 10:36 AM »
I agree with buss fish deep and glow your jigs every drop. I have had a lot of luck on the chartreuse shrimpo size eight. I was out last night we only caught eleven crappie the bite has slowed down due to the cold front.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:39 AM »
big creek is slow  fished from 6pm to midnight  tues night   and only hooked a dozen crappies  should have been more like 30 40  I'm thinking of going back to slab country raw 
Hard charger !

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2008, 10:19 AM »
yea get slab gills all day then thirteen inch crappies at night. All day long. I think we caught all the crappie out of big creek.lets get out at eight or nine on Sat. morn

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2008, 08:15 AM »
yea the earlyer the better. i know of some good gill spots for the day but would not mind scouting out some of the other ponds in the area before drilling the honey holes. have not seen bob yet hopfully today he'll call today or tonight.( might need to pester and call again) ;D.
 i think the bait shop opens at 7am need a tub and some minnows. might need back up heater if bobs not home  ;)
Hard charger !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.