Author Topic: Good reel for 8-12lb test?  (Read 851 times)

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good reel for 8-12lb test?
« on: Sep 16, 2014, 03:04 PM »
Not sure what reel to go with.. Got a new pole to go jig for lakers with but not sure what reel to get. I want it to be able to hold up 8-12lb test line with close to 150ft of line (if possible to find?) but would rather not put some big summer reel on it.. Not sure if I'm asking to much or if you guys know of a reasonably priced reel that fits what I'm asking for along with where to purchase/order.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Good reel for 8-12lb test?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2014, 05:16 PM »
mono , floro , braid ? and I sure you ment yards

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2014, 06:51 PM »
mono , floro , braid ? and I sure you ment yards

I prefer Fluoro but would use mono as well..  I meant ft not yards. The deepest I'll be in is 80-100ft of water and I dont need much more than 150ft of line..

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Baitcaster or spinning reel? Either way you can fit 50 yards of 8# on just about anything. Try a 2000 series spinning reel. A smaller baitcaster with a good drag would be harder to find.
-Tom

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2014, 07:31 PM »
50ft. of line to "spare" for a laker?  ;)

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2014, 09:02 PM »
So from my understanding... I'm not crazy to put a reel I'd use for open water on an ice pole? I just didnt know how the reel would hold up in the cold.. That's my only real worry.

Always need at least 50ft to spare when chasing lakers  ;)

Im a bit OCD when it comes to fishing line during ice season so 50ft is plenty for me since if I break off or if the line develops wear I respool that night.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2014, 11:41 PM »
Most of my Mac set ups are 2500 Symetre/Sienna spooled to 85-90% capacity with 6#or 8# McCoy CoPolymer.  I hang a swivel and then run 24-30" of Pline fluoro (leader material) to the jig.  8# is as big as I'll use though. Lighter line and smaller jigs get way more takes.  When I do get into a good fish I'm betting fresh line and a good drag are enough but I would never use 12 or 20# line like some guys do.  Copolymer also has a pretty low stretch which is great when you set up on a good fish in deep water.  If things turn ugly you can strip off 100' of jacked up line and there's still plenty of fresh spooled on a 2500 to to keep fishing. 

For $30 it's hard to beat a Sienna 2500.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2014, 05:16 AM »
Always need at least 50ft to spare when chasing lakers  ;)

Im a bit OCD when it comes to fishing line during ice season so 50ft is plenty for me since if I break off or if the line develops wear I respool that night.

I think what he was getting at is that a 50ft run for a laker is nothing.. Sure would suck to lose a big fish because you get spooled.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2014, 09:02 AM »
I've had really good luck with Daiwa's Laguna 1000. About $40 retail.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2014, 07:51 PM »
I think what he was getting at is that a 50ft run for a laker is nothing.. Sure would suck to lose a big fish because you get spooled.

I've never been spooled with 150ft (give or take 20ft) of 6lb test and caught some nice fish for my area so I'm confident in 150ft.. I'm sure there are monsters in their but usually the lakers we get are anywhere from 3-15lbs. 

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Most of my Mac set ups are 2500 Symetre/Sienna spooled to 85-90% capacity with 6#or 8# McCoy CoPolymer.  I hang a swivel and then run 24-30" of Pline fluoro (leader material) to the jig.  8# is as big as I'll use though. Lighter line and smaller jigs get way more takes.  When I do get into a good fish I'm betting fresh line and a good drag are enough but I would never use 12 or 20# line like some guys do.  Copolymer also has a pretty low stretch which is great when you set up on a good fish in deep water.  If things turn ugly you can strip off 100' of jacked up line and there's still plenty of fresh spooled on a 2500 to to keep fishing. 

For $30 it's hard to beat a Sienna 2500.

X2

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:25 PM »
I've never been spooled with 150ft (give or take 20ft) of 6lb test and caught some nice fish for my area so I'm confident in 150ft.. I'm sure there are monsters in their but usually the lakers we get are anywhere from 3-15lbs.
I don't leave home without 150 " yards " on a spool for lakers. And I've nearly been spooled. That's twice as much as you run.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2014, 11:37 PM »
I don't leave home without 150 " yards " on a spool for lakers. And I've nearly been spooled. That's twice as much as you run.

Oh if I'm setting up tip-ups then I'll generally have 100 yards as well on my spool.. But if it's on my reel when jigging 150ft is sufficient for me.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2014, 05:35 AM »

U stated u fished in 80-100ft of water. That leaves 50-70ft on the spool. If you base your drag off the 30% of line strength principal your drag should be set to 1.8lbs for 6# line. I know it may be a bit early to be calling BS, but there is no way your pulling 15lb lakers out of 80-100ft of water with 50ft to spare on 6# line...

Not to mention if it breaks your line off 20-30 feet your outfit is pretty much useless..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2014, 05:37 AM »
He stated u fish in 80-100ft of water. That leaves 50-70ft on your spool. If you base your drag off the 30% of line strength principal you drag should be set to 1.8lbs for 6# line. In know it may be a bit early to be calling BS, but there is no way your pulling 15lb lakers out of 80-100ft of water with 50ft to spare on 6# line...

Not to mention if it breaks your line off 20-30 feet your outfit is pretty much useless..
Well said
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2014, 01:21 PM »
U stated u fished in 80-100ft of water. That leaves 50-70ft on the spool. If you base your drag off the 30% of line strength principal your drag should be set to 1.8lbs for 6# line. I know it may be a bit early to be calling BS, but there is no way your pulling 15lb lakers out of 80-100ft of water with 50ft to spare on 6# line...

80-100ft is the deepest I fish in.. 50-70ft extra in that depth water on my reel with 6lb test has always got the job done.. I said 3-15 with 3 being the smallest and 15 being the biggest I've caught in the lakes I fish for lakers in. Usually they are all right around the 5-6lb range with the occasional hog. I'm not sure what to tell ya.. I'm not going to BS when I'm trying to get help on what reel to get..  ??? ??? 

I'm sure the way you do it is great, but I've been doing it my way with this set up for a long time without any hiccups.

But to get back to the topic, Thanks for your help with the suggestions. I decided to go with the Sienna 2500 as suggested by Baetis62 equipped with 10lb test.

Stay safe and tight lines

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2014, 02:26 PM »
It still makes no sense to use less line. You can fit over 100 yards of line on your reel, there is no reason to cut yourself short. On my rod for jigging pike, I have 150 yards spooled on, and I don't usually fish past 20'. I don't need that much line, I'd bet half that would work for me. But by the time I have cut and tied on lures hundreds of times over the season, and finally get something worthy of the setup, I'm glad I don't have to worry about running my line down to the last few feet. Not on a rod, but last year I was with someone who normally fishes for walleye with tip ups. He was pike fishing with me, and had his flag go up. He only uses 25 yards of line because that's all he ever needed. It probably took us 30 seconds to walk over, and we could see line was peeling off. I told him to wait until it slowed down to set the hook, but we didn't have a choice. That fish had all that line gone in no time. He tried to set the hook, but totally missed it. Not 2 minutes later my flag went up and I hauled my biggest fish of the season up. That same day while I was cooking lunch, my flag went up. I must not have noticed for a few minutes, because when I got there, the fish had over 3/4 of my line gone, and  was still going. I use 100 yards on my tip ups, and I got that fish. I know it doesn't mean much compared to jigging for deep lakers, but the point is there is no advantage to using too little of line. BTW, that is a fine reel choice, you will like it.
-Tom

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2014, 03:26 PM »
It still makes no sense to use less line. You can fit over 100 yards of line on your reel, there is no reason to cut yourself short. On my rod for jigging pike, I have 150 yards spooled on, and I don't usually fish past 20'. I don't need that much line, I'd bet half that would work for me. But by the time I have cut and tied on lures hundreds of times over the season, and finally get something worthy of the setup, I'm glad I don't have to worry about running my line down to the last few feet. Not on a rod, but last year I was with someone who normally fishes for walleye with tip ups. He was pike fishing with me, and had his flag go up. He only uses 25 yards of line because that's all he ever needed. It probably took us 30 seconds to walk over, and we could see line was peeling off. I told him to wait until it slowed down to set the hook, but we didn't have a choice. That fish had all that line gone in no time. He tried to set the hook, but totally missed it. Not 2 minutes later my flag went up and I hauled my biggest fish of the season up. That same day while I was cooking lunch, my flag went up. I must not have noticed for a few minutes, because when I got there, the fish had over 3/4 of my line gone, and  was still going. I use 100 yards on my tip ups, and I got that fish. I know it doesn't mean much compared to jigging for deep lakers, but the point is there is no advantage to using too little of line. BTW, that is a fine reel choice, you will like it.

Not sure the correct terminology, but the reason being for me personally is because I don't like putting that 6# test back down the hole when the line is all "frayed" from rubbing on the ice. During the ice season I usually only use my line for lakers maybe 3-5 times (depending on how the days go obviously) before I re-spool.. It's just a bit cheaper and I can get away with it. My tip-ups though are always spooled to the max.  I'm looking forward to the new reel for sure. That extra few pound test line should help out the little guy that goes out with us.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Everybody had different experiences. In mine, the line only frays in the last few yards of line. Its a lot cheaper to just cut 20 feet of line off, than to re spool 150.
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.