The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Your day jigging  (Read 893 times)

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Your day jigging
« on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:48 PM »
I am a tip up person and have been for quite a while. Bought my first jigging rod a couple years back but never seem to get it out. I have tried it a few times this year when the tip up action has been slow but just do not have the confidence in it to try for too long. My questions are how long do you stay/try at a hole? Do you try different jigs/lures at the hole before moving? do you fish the whole water column or stay near the bottom? Are you targeting a particular fish or anything that bites? Do you drill two holes and have a dead stick in one? Or any other information that you'll share to convince me to leave all of the tip up gear at home is appreciated. Thanks

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Your day jigging
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:47 AM »
Have 5 rods with different configurations of color ,size etc. That's to start ,then I change if necessary which always seems to be the case. Fish bottom 6' to start with being my vex has a 6' zoom. If I see them above that I work that for a while. Mostly bounce it off the bottom if they are stubborn and raise it up to get them to break  off the bottom, if they are not coming up the 6' area for the jigs.Great to see 2 competing for the jig that's when you get ready for the bite. some times they are cruising 4-6' when they are aggressive. It is amazing that they can see the tiny jig being dropped in 20' of water ,any way that's what it seems because they either start coming up or start to fade back to the bottom that's when I know its going to be a tough day.

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:19 AM »
Electronics are your friend.  Mark fish and raise and lower as needed.  Lift, drop, wiggle-jiggle the bait.

I will give a hole 15 minutes.  If no bites or fish I move to the next hole.  Fish 5 or 6 holes than start over.  If your catching fish on your tip ups than your in the right area.  If not move to new area.  You didn't say which species your fishing for.  You maybe using the wrong set up for the targeted species.

I carry 5 rods with different size and color lures on them.  One has a Swedish pimple, another set up for minnows, another with larger spoons for larger fish, and. 2 for pan fish.  Describe your jigging setup.
sparky

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2015, 01:30 PM »
I have similar set ups to the above except I usually have 7-8 rigs on board with different size and style of jigs. I'm usually fishing for pan fish so most of my rods are UL, though I usually have one heavier stick for Raps or bigger spoons. Also, I always have a couple dead sticks and if fish are shy about biting but showing up on my sonar, I'll drop a dead stick in and fish a near by hole. Surprising how many times that will quickly result in a good hit. I rarely fish tip ups any more because they end up distracting me from my jigging, and hinder my mobility. Sometimes you have to make big moves when the fish aren't there.

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Same here . I have 5 rods a carry all rigged for a different presentation. I used to carry tip ups as well. But their a pain when you wanna pack up & relocate. With a pole, you just real up & i
Ur on ur way.
Don't horse em!

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2015, 04:08 PM »
I am a tip up person and have been for quite a while. Bought my first jigging rod a couple years back but never seem to get it out. I have tried it a few times this year when the tip up action has been slow but just do not have the confidence in it to try for too long. My questions are how long do you stay/try at a hole? Do you try different jigs/lures at the hole before moving? do you fish the whole water column or stay near the bottom? Are you targeting a particular fish or anything that bites? Do you drill two holes and have a dead stick in one? Or any other information that you'll share to convince me to leave all of the tip up gear at home is appreciated. Thanks

I think you have answered most of your questions with a questions  meaning you should  try everything you have asked and you will catch fish. It doesn't hurt to use tip ups along with a jigging rod.

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Thanks guys, I have a 26" light rod. I've tried a kastmaster, which I did catch a small perch on this weekend, and that is what is making me want to try it more. I also have jigging raps, a few chubby darters and a small assortment of small jigs with little pieces of plastics. I can see where this can become addictive. I think I just need to leave the tip ups at home for the day.

Offline petebal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Drill 5 holes. Jig them with your vex. Give each hole about 3 minutes.  If you don't catch try each hole again with a different jig/bait. Go smaller with a lighter presentation.  If you strike out, drill 5 more holes and repeat.  Vex is your best girlfriend out there!!!!! Without it youre a blind man.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I have a 26" light rod. I've tried a kastmaster, which I did catch a small perch on this weekend, and that is what is making me want to try it more. I also have jigging raps, a few chubby darters and a small assortment of small jigs with little pieces of plastics. I can see where this can become addictive. I think I just need to leave the tip ups at home for the day.

I own jawjackers and let me tell you they are great. No more cold hands handling a fish on a tipup.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.