The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Yellow Creek Crappies  (Read 412 times)

Offline flyfisher2

• IceShanty Rookie
Yellow Creek Crappies
« on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:26 PM »
two weekends we were up targeting pike , but i like to target the big gills and crappie . after a few hours i noticed  a few trees in the water and a bunch of holes around them so i moved over and drilled a bunch of holes . As soon as my bait hit the bottom i was catching crappie , but they were all small. we fished through the night this past Friday thinking the bigger ones would move in but no luck just a bunch of small ones . my question is does anyone ever have any luck fishing after dark and has anyone been doing good with decent sized panfish

Thank You  Mark

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Yellow Creek Crappies
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:37 PM »
Yes and yes. If the water you where fishing has keeper crappie I'd move. Sometimes they school up the same size. My go to lake the bite is good a few hours after dark. Yes I've caught them mixed sizes but most of the fish this year are in the 9- 13 range. I've fished beaver huts and just caught dink after dink.Then moved off a drop close by and caught keepers.I've fished weed beds all winter in less than 10 fow with deeper water close by.And yes clean plastic has out fish any bait.

Offline flyfisher2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Thanks Captain , the water i was fishing was 20 to 25 foot deep all kinds of cover, i dropped my camera down friday night and the crappie were stacked  all around all about 10 feet off the bottom. i tried out further in closer but no luck on the big ones . my thought is maybe to early. yea i agree plastics are the way to go. gonna try kyle  lake saturday maybe my luck will change. thanks for the help

Thanks MARK

Offline Coyote250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Night fishing crappie seems to be lake specific at times we do very well in the daytime and at times after dark we have our lakes that light up after dark the flasher just gos crazy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.