The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: warm weather  (Read 1045 times)

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
warm weather
« on: Feb 13, 2011, 03:39 PM »
well with this warm weather (near missoula) do u guys think that there wouldnt be too much slush on the ice yet? was thinking about heading to beavertail pond today but not too sure. thanks for any info!

Tom
"to succeed you must first learn to fail"

Bullelk34

Re: warm weather
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:29 PM »
It's warm everywhere bud- we snuck out to Holter this weekend and it's getting sloppy. I'm afraid that when it cools off next week it may be too late. Good thing is I could launch at Upper Holter, so all is not lost   :-\

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Ya, this weather is a killer. It was 56° here in NW MT. I guess it is about time to get the fly pole out.  :-\

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:47 PM »
It's warm everywhere bud- we snuck out to Holter this weekend and it's getting sloppy. I'm afraid that when it cools off next week it may be too late. Good thing is I could launch at Upper Holter, so all is not lost   :-\

Is GOM open water yet?  I was boat fishing the York Bridge area and Upper Holter the first week of March last year.  Did real good on the BIG rainbows and even got a couple walleye too by pulling Rapala's.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Bullelk34

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:56 PM »
Yes, the Gates are open now. Right after ice-out is killer for the big trout, too bad they don't eat as well as walleyes!

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:12 PM »

I was on Holter from Thursday through Saturday morning upstream of Departure Point and the ice was getting pretty sketchy.   We pulled out early as we were on four wheelers.   

Unfortunate part was the fishing was really good.   We caught a ton of ling, 13 walleyes and some really nice trout.

Be very careful venturing out there after the last couple days, I'm probably pulling the plug on that lake for the year unless we get an extended cold spell.

BullElk has the right idea, time to get the boat out if it stays like this.
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Don't forget to get your new 3 year sticker for your boat as the green ones expire at the end of this month.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline ElkhornEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Hello boys, I'm back"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2011, 12:08 AM »
Yes, the Gates are open now. Right after ice-out is killer for the big trout, too bad they don't eat as well as walleyes!

It's pretty killer Right Now for both!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Looking down from Montgomery Park, its hard to decide whether to chase big racks or go jig for ol' tight lips."

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:42 PM »
boy, this does not sound good. the clark fork river is pretty much clear of any ice, so I suspect that the lakes aren't doing much better. 'twas a nice ice fishing season! well, if old man winter wakes up then we wont have to worry about the ice fishing season ending; lets hope.

tight lines!

Tom
"to succeed you must first learn to fail"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.