The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Kid's Fishing  (Read 382 times)

Offline Bmarler

• IceShanty Rookie
Kid's Fishing
« on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:42 AM »
I was out on Nilan Reservoir this last weekend with some friends. The fishing was excellent but I think the best thing about this fishing trip was watching all the kids’ scrambling to their holes to catch a fish.  There were 8 or 9 young kids out on the ice having a blast. I saw all of them catching fish. This lake is a great place to take kids for a morning of fishing. (if the wind is not blowing). I thought I would share some information with everyone in hopes to see some more kids can get out and go fishing. We were fishing 30 yards off the boat ramp on the south end of the lake. A small orange jig was working the best but it seemed like they would hit anything we tipped with maggots. The fishing was solid until about 11:00am. The fish were biting hard and often hooking themselves, they do start to bit softer as the day goes on though. The Ice was 16"-18" thick. Happy Fishing.

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kid's Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Awesome! It's always great to get the kids out. My kids and I have been hammering the rainbows around here.

For whatever reason all the fish really want around here are the plain old worms. I've tried maggots and meal worms. But always end up back with earth worms.

Perch are a different story. They definitely prefer maggots.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kid's Fishing
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Nice job getting the kids into them.  I've had some fun days on Nilan with my cousin and his kids.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.