Author Topic: Who's going where this weekend.... How'd you do??  (Read 20688 times)

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Who's going where this weekend.... How'd you do??
« Reply #60 on: Feb 10, 2007, 10:21 PM »
Prairiegoat I thought I parked next to you. i was in a blue acura mdx. I went to hoberts saturday morning. I got there around 7am and saw a old blue jeep cherokee and parked next to it. but i didnt see any cabelas hut. anyways i went northwest of the parking lot. like you said most of the action was in the morning. i was using red and white tube jig tipped with wax worm. we were in 16ft of water and was jigging around 10ft. anyways i just sent my jig back down after checking the wax worm and then wham a rainbow hit it on the down. pulled him up through the probably 20inches of ice and he measured 23inches long. that was around 830am. had an even bigger bite around 11am but that guy just hit my jig and took off and snapped my line - 4lb test. wow what a day.

can somebody tell me how to post pics cause i got a cell pic of my catch

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 11, 2007, 12:21 AM »
It's Fairly easy, first go to http://tinypic.com then make sure the"upload image bullet" is selected.  Then click the "browse button" and navigate to the photo stored on your pc, click "open". Next click the "upload image button". On the next screen copy the link under "IMG Link: for forums and bulletin boards".  Now all you have to do is paste that link anywhere in the body of the text message on the forum.  You can hit the preview button in the forum to make sure it works.

Hope this helps.

Just testing it out, I usually do it a different way but I think this is even easer.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm, But The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #62 on: Feb 11, 2007, 04:11 AM »
Prairiegoat I thought I parked next to you. i was in a blue acura mdx. I went to hoberts saturday morning. I got there around 7am and saw a old blue jeep cherokee and parked next to it. but i didnt see any cabelas hut.

I was parked at Rogers, Bzboy. Two ol' blue Jeeps is too much! Mine is a 2-door Sport. When we went home, I told my wife maybe we should pull into Howberts and see if you guys were in the group of shanties but everyone was pretty tired by then.

Look forward to the pic's. Nice going!!  :clap:  That's a dandy size trout.  :thumbsup:  What time did you leave the ice? Anyone else get any?

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #63 on: Feb 11, 2007, 04:19 AM »
Grncreek,

Looks like you found a lot warmer place to fish yesterday than we did!  Open water, no coveralls or mittens. ;)2 ;)2  Nice Fish.

You going out Monday?

Prairiegoat

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 11, 2007, 02:40 PM »
Grncreek,

Looks like you found a lot warmer place to fish yesterday than we did!  Open water, no coveralls or mittens. ;)2 ;)2  Nice Fish.

You going out Monday?

Prairiegoat

I wish,  that picture's from I think early march of 06.  Just one of a nice smb on the pc I was using.

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 11, 2007, 02:45 PM »
Grncreek,

You going out Monday?

Prairiegoat

Yep, I plan on trying off the rogers side of lazy boy.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #66 on: Feb 11, 2007, 02:59 PM »
Went to 11 Mile earlier by Rogers today and caught one 18" rainbow. Got there well before sunup thinking may get some early action but really slow. Had a couple of bites and caught this one around 7:30. Left at noon as didn't even see any more in the hole! Talked to some guys who were fishing and one group had one 15" bow. Another guy had been up four times this week and he said its as slow as he's seen it. Maybe the cold front coming in will help.

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 11, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Hey Prairiegoat, I have a question for you, sent a pm.

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:29 AM »
Hey just wanted to ask local ice fisherman - what would you choose a 9 inch jiffy stealth 3hp or a 10inch strikemaster lazer mag express??? i want a gas auger now  ;D

Offline mountainscout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:34 AM »
Seaman Reservoir on Saturday. Beautiful day, but no action for trout. Guys were slamming perch near the banks, heard one say that they caught near 70 between 2 guys...

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #70 on: Feb 12, 2007, 03:34 PM »
Hey just wanted to ask local ice fisherman - what would you choose a 9 inch jiffy stealth 3hp or a 10inch strikemaster lazer mag express??? i want a gas auger now  ;D

Go to the equipment section and click on ice augers. Plenty of info on every brand and size.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #71 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:50 AM »
Grncreek,

How'd you do Monday? Don't tell me you hammered them or I'm going to really have an inferiority complex after my dismal showing last weekend!  :-[

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:58 AM »
I did All right, ;D  Actually The first spot I tried off the rogers mtn parking lot, the outside tip of RC cove was very slow.  I fished it for about an hour and only had one pike and one sm trout come through.  I wound up moving further back in the cove.  If you have a map of it,  I fished just past the deepest part of the cove in about 12 fow.  Any way I had much better luck in there.  They didn't seem to want anything pink, white, or chartreuse for some reason only brown was hot.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #73 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Well I'm looking at a three-day weekend coming up and have been sitting here contemplating where to go on which days. Suppose to be highs around 50's. Guess I'll take the family and fish the quick biting stockers at Skaguay on Saturday and try 11 Mile Sunday and again on Monday. But we'll see. Its the middle of February already so got to get in as many days as possible before ice off and still looking for that one northern hawg!  :flex:

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 15, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Prairiegoat,

Maybe I'll see you up there monday.  I'm not sure were I'll be,  I've been thinking about trying a totally new area to me.  Have you tried back in witchers area for pike?  I always seem to do good back there.  I'll try to describe one of my favorite spots.  If your facing the lake from the boat ramp walk about a hundred feet to the right down the shore than straight out about 50-70 feet, it should be about 15fow.  Ive caught some very nice ones right there.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #75 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Hey thanks Grncreek! Now I've got three places to try the two days I'll be at 11 Mile this weekend. I'll be there Monday for sure, but undecided which lake on Saturday or Sunday. I left a post on another site about where to find smelt, herring or anchovies around the Springs, do you know?

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:21 PM »
I left a post on another site about where to find smelt, herring or anchovies around the Springs, do you know?

I would try outlaw or sportsmans.  The aurora sportsman's usually has frozen fish of some sort, Ive seen smelt and anchovies a couples times but always suckers.  Outlaw usually has live water dogs and suckers but you can only use the live dogs up there.  I've had good luck with small live suckers from outlaw, I just make sure I thump em on the head before I get out on the lake.  I've never caught anything on water dogs but I know guys who have.  If you stop by outlaw look at there little lazer jigs. ;) ;)

BTW, personally I like baits 5" and under but thats just my opinion.

sportsmans
(719)597-9200
outlaw
(719) 227-7992

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #77 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:23 AM »
If you stop by outlaw look at there little lazer jigs. ;) ;)

My office is 5 min. from Outlaw's, but never been there! What colors would you suggest? Do you tip them with meal/waxies?

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:04 AM »
I like white, chartreuse/green, and pink I always tip them with something a small piece of crawler works also.

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 16, 2007, 12:08 PM »
I just got my Jiffy 3hp 9inch auger and my friends and i are going to 11mile this saturday morning. I'll be there early and leave around 830am cause I gotta pick my mom up at the airport in colorado springs but i'm soooo eager to fire up my new gas auger. we'll be at hoberts on the northwest end of the parking lot again. blue clam huts if it's not too windy.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #80 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:03 PM »
I'm soooo eager to fire up my new gas auger.

If I decide to fish by Howberts, I'll look you up. I'm sure you would be eager enough to show off that dandy machine that you'd drill me a couple of holes!   ;)2 :whistle:

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:13 PM »
I didnt buy it just to have it sitting around  ;D of course. blue old jeep and cabelas shack right?

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #82 on: Feb 16, 2007, 03:04 PM »
I like white, chartreuse/green, and pink I always tip them with something a small piece of crawler works also.

Thanks grncreek. Outlaw's is quite a fishing store! Bought 5 or 6 lazers, some frozen herring and suckers.

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:38 PM »
Well i am having a very hard time starting my jiffy. If it doesnt fire i'm going to have to skip out tomorrow  :(

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #84 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:10 PM »
Well i am having a very hard time starting my jiffy. If it doesnt fire i'm going to have to skip out tomorrow  :(

Are you talking about your auger or something more personal?  :woot: There was just a forum today on trouble shooting a jiffy. I think we are going to Skaguay tommorow with all of the kids. Three guys and four kids and want lots of action! So I will hit 11 Mile Sat and Sun.

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:55 PM »
I am getting sadder by the minute. i've been working on starting that auger for almost 2hrs now and it doesnt even turn over. i followed the directions exactly. could the engine be flooded? do i need to wait longer? sigh this is a terrible terrible day  :'(

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #86 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Bzboy, try this post. They might help you figure it out. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=51785.0

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:59 PM »
i'm drying out my sparkplug right now thinking i flooded it. thank you grncreek for your message of help. i will definitely be calling you if this doesnt work cause it's pretty heart breaking for me to save up money for my gas auger finally and to not have it work is pretty sad. thank you prairiegoat for your help too. i really hope to be on the ice tomorrow otherwise i'll be calling you grncreek.

Offline SUCKERMEAT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ANYWHERE!!!! ANYTIME!!!!
« Reply #88 on: Feb 17, 2007, 07:26 AM »
I may be hitting the dream stream Sunday if it's not happing there I will scoot on over to the mile. I have only fished the mile open water where would be a good start point. Monday is up in the air as to where to fish. Any suggestions?

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 17, 2007, 10:14 AM »
Suckermeat I always park in the spot located between 11mile and spinney. It is the road that runs on the west side of 11mile and then head east running along the south shore. That way you start in the middle of the stream. If you start there and head towards spinney there is a old red barn out in the middle that is a good place to start. there is a deep hole next to the barn where some big boys hang out. then you can work your way back to your car.

If you head towards 11mile reservoir first just work the bends in the river. that is where most of the bigger fish will be. This time of year i would be using a bright orange or pink egg with a  sparkle RS2 trailing 1 ft behind with strike indicator. Good luck and let us know how you did

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.