Author Topic: A little advice about Antero please  (Read 821 times)

Offline Tyintil3

• IceShanty Rookie
A little advice about Antero please
« on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:46 PM »
So I am just starting out ice fishing. I have been a couple times and I am looking at heading to Antero. I was curious what are good times to arrive and get on the ice and if there are any general locations that fish better than others. Any advice really would help as I am just learning. Thanks.

Offline Quarterbore

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: A little advice about Antero please
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I've only fished it once but the best advice I was given is: "if you don't see fish, move!". Of course that's true with most ice fishing. Also, I saw a ton of fish there but few biters.

Offline Tyintil3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Quarterbore, thanks for the advice. A buddy and I went out today and had a blast. We fished in about 9 feet of water and moved to find the fish. We both caught about a half dozen each on some ice flies that we tied the night before. Thanks again.

Offline Quarterbore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Awesome, half dozen each sounds like a good day. Did you go to the south or north boat ramp areas? I went to the south but am looking to try the north next.

Offline Tyintil3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:48 PM »
We went to the north ramp and went out about a 500 yards and had a little luck and then moved in closer to shore(200yards) and they started hitting hard then.

Offline Quarterbore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:45 PM »
I heard there was some deeper water that ways. I'll be trying that side next time.

Offline Quarterbore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:46 PM »
What time did you go?

Offline Tyintil3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:55 PM »
We got there about 30 minutes before sun up and we started fishing about 7:20ish. We moved closer around 9am and then left about 2pm.

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2014, 01:26 PM »
the times i have fished it i have gotten there around 630 or so. the south side by the damn can be good but it gets fairly crowded. always fished around 10 feet of water with weeds on the bottom. tube jigs usually do pretty good as well as rat finkies.

Offline Tyintil3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice snotsickles08. I will have to try that out next time we head up there. I have never tried rat finkies before so I will give that a try for sure. Thanks again for the advice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.