The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: 2018 MDNR Southern Lake Michigan Newsletter  (Read 8205 times)

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
2018 MDNR Southern Lake Michigan Newsletter
« on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Just click on the link below to see some of what we have been doing in the last year in Southwest lower Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/ManagementUnitNewsletterSLMMU-2018-Final2_615566_7.pdf

Offline Barker1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat, sleep, college, fish. It's what I do!
Re: 2018 MDNR Southern Lake Michigan Newsletter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:10 PM »
The cross section of the walleye spine is unique! How they show age just like trees (with rings) is really something.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Thanks for letting us know about this page. Very interesting. Just learned how to do the dorsal fin clipping ,from my son this past week-end. Cant wait to get some done on my boat. Wilsonmi, thank you for basically being the "Voice" of the DNR ,on the "Shanty". You are greatly appreciated  ;).
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2018, 07:52 AM »
X2
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2018, 05:37 PM »
Thanks!

The Fisheries Division has just rolled out it's new website.  I'm not usually a big fan of constantly changing websites, but I think the new design is much easier to navigate for the public.  There are still some things to be tweaked and some material to be updated, but it looks good and there is much more information available to the public.  Just so everyone knows, newsletters for other management units in the state can be found at the link below.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79236_80245---,00.html

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2018, 04:50 AM »
Thank you, wilsonmi. It's nice to Know a part of the DNR sees are post, wether it's good or bad,. Nice information on website for the public.

Offline Barker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2018, 09:21 AM »
I am glad to see they are still doing some stocking, even if it just mostly walleye. They are great to eat and are just such beautiful fish

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2018, 04:22 PM »
I am glad to see they are still doing some stocking, even if it just mostly walleye. They are great to eat and are just such beautiful fish

There is still quite a bit of stocking that goes on in our unit besides walleye.  Chinook, Coho, Steelhead, Brown Trout, Lake Trout, Inland Rainbows, Musky, Channel Catfish and Sturgeon are all stocked in our unit from fish raised at our hatcheries.  The reason walleye are highlighted in our newsletter is because we, like all the other management units, typically raise all the spring and fall fingerling walleye in various ponds throughout the state.

Offline Barker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2018, 02:21 AM »
There is still quite a bit of stocking that goes on in our unit besides walleye.  Chinook, Coho, Steelhead, Brown Trout, Lake Trout, Inland Rainbows, Musky, Channel Catfish and Sturgeon are all stocked in our unit from fish raised at our hatcheries.  The reason walleye are highlighted in our newsletter is because we, like all the other management units, typically raise all the spring and fall fingerling walleye in various ponds throughout the state.

Okay thank you for the clarification. I did not know this! Are the rest of them raised in specific areas (holding ponds)  during a specific season too?

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Okay thank you for the clarification. I did not know this! Are the rest of them raised in specific areas (holding ponds)  during a specific season too?

They are all raised at our 6 state fish hatcheries, except the channel catfish and norther strain musky, which come from other states.  Each hatchery specializes in raising certain species and each species has its own time in the hatchery based on its spawning time and length of rearing cycle before stocking.  Other species that aren't stocked in our particular unit, but raised by the DNR are atlantics, splake, and brook trout.

Offline Barker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Very cool! That makes sense that the channels come from other states, knowing they are a warmer water species. Thank you again for that farther insight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.