The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Atv or snowmobile  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Perch snatcher 18

• IceShanty Rookie
Atv or snowmobile
« on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:32 AM »
I need help deciding which one?  I'm only going to use it for icedishing Green Bay  or Winnebago . What are your opinions? Thanks

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: Atv or snowmobile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:59 AM »
I was in your shoes last year and chose the ATV. I have an old Arctic Cat JAG with low miles I use for fishing, but it's not getting any younger and parts are harder and harder to come by. When I weighed the benefits of each, I decided that if I'm spending +/- 10K on a new sled or atv, I might as well get something I can have fun with and use, year-round.

I got a Polaris Sportsman with a track kit. If I didn't go with the tracks, I'd have probably bought a snowmobile. You said this is a machine just for ice fishing, if this is the case, I'd probably stick with a snowmobile.

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:04 AM »
I like the snowmobile because of snow you never know how much you will get. That if like you said your not going to use it for anything else.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I did the same as "52" - atv with tracks.  I had the ATV and when I wanted something for deep snow and slush on the ice, I went for the tracks instead of a sled.  I have not regretted making that decision.  One draw back to the ATV is the overall weight.  I must be pushing 1200, or more, lbs. when all loaded up and me on the machine.  If I break through (have not come close to that and do not plan on it) my machine will be on the bottom of the lake.  I've been on a sled and seen plenty of sleds that can skim a few feet, or more, of water.
Maybe just a touch safer?

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2014, 11:52 AM »
I went with a standard ATV last year (no tracks) and didnt have any issues in southern WI. I know there is more snow up north but down here, the ATV works fine 90% of the time

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2014, 01:37 PM »
GB and Winne  have ice roads, he may be fine with an ATV.

Offline Perch snatcher 18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Thanks guys leaning toward the snowmobile.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:28 AM »
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2014, 01:52 PM »
I have an old 1975 Pantera for deep stuff and I picked up a 1997 Big Bear for when it's not.   Where did you guys get the tracks for your ATVs from?  Do they add a lot of width?

Offline Hardcharger07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The measure of a man is how he carries himself"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2014, 02:06 PM »
acouple years ago i picked up a used sportsman 500 ATV, it has been a great buy as I use it on our property all year long and had not had an issue on the ice until this past year.  SNOW SNOW SNOW!!  had some issues with slush under the deep snow on the bay and just plain ole deep snow on winne.  me and my brother are thinking about getting acouple older sleds for this year.  I would love to put tracks on an atv, but I am not spending that kind of money on my older ATV. 

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2014, 02:07 PM »
I have an old 1975 Pantera for deep stuff and I picked up a 1997 Big Bear for when it's not.   Where did you guys get the tracks for your ATVs from?  Do they add a lot of width?

I got mine when I ordered the ATV. I went with the Polaris Prospector tracks to avoid any warranty hassles with Polaris, just in case. My Sportsman is exactly 54" in width. If I remember right, the tracks added 6" of width.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2014, 05:54 PM »

My tracks are Camoplast Tatou 4s.  Got them on-line from ATVTRACKS.NET.  Great guys to deal with. My Polaris 550XP is 60" wide and 9.6' long with the tracks installed.  A properly designed and installed set of tracks adds no undue stress on the ATV.  I get about 60% on the top end - that is about 40 MPH at the top with the tracks, on hard pack.  A big difference is in the gas consumed.  Depends on how much snow/slush you have deal with.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:01 PM »
 Either way, set up right for ice fishing, you can't go wrong. I went with a snowmobile, no regrets!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:16 PM »
I went with a snowmobile to start, but mine is liquid cooled 4 stroke so no snow is a no go. So I just picked up a new polaris 570 2 up for when there isn't any snow or little of it. I thought about the tracks but you can get a really nice used sled for less money then the tracks and have both machines, which is what I did

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2014, 05:20 AM »
I went with a snowmobile to start, but mine is liquid cooled 4 stroke so no snow is a no go. So I just picked up a new polaris 570 2 up for when there isn't any snow or little of it. I thought about the tracks but you can get a really nice used sled for less money then the tracks and have both machines, which is what I did
I can agree with this, I just wanted something better than a sled in the deep snow. :P

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2014, 08:43 AM »
I just wanted something badass.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2014, 09:18 AM »
I just wanted something badass.

That too  :flex: ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum