Author Topic: Fork or Tarryall?  (Read 778 times)

Offline Larry666

• IceShanty Rookie
Fork or Tarryall?
« on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Howdy fellas. New to the forum, and relatively new to ice fishing. I’m an avid bass angler, but my ice experience is limited to just a few seasons where I only went to Chatfield or Evergreen. My goal for this season is to get out of the metro area and hopefully catch more than just stocker trout. Not looking to jack anyone’s spots, just hoping to get some general info. I’m going out next week and it’s between Williams Fork or Tarryall. Any strong opinions one way or the other? Any ice thickness reports for either? Any other recommendations that are within about 2 hrs of Denver for pike or walleye? Thanks in advance for any info. P.s. Don’t let the username scare you, Im not a devil worshipper. Just a fan of metal.

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fork or Tarryall?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Tarryall is trending in the correct direction for rainbow & brown trout. I used to only catch 8-14" but now my average is up to around 14". I'm catching more in the 12-16" range and they're everywhere. Tarryall ice is VERY thick at around 18"!! Super clear too.

Fork doesn't have thick enough ice yet. Reports are 4-5" in very select & protected from wind areas and open water in the middle still. It's been trending in the wrong direction for lake trout fishing too. Small lakers(8-11'') are now the norm. Quantity caught each trip is way down too. I've fished it since 2005 and we used to do much better there.

Pike are tough to track down through the ice here in CO since the CPW has upped it's campaign on terminating them almost everywhere they live. Especially in mountain lakes like Tarryall, 11mile, Spinney. That's the sad fact but some are still squeaking out a few hammer handles.

Trout are king here so might as well target them!
Selective harvest works!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Just read on another forum a guy went there and said there is a lot of dirt on the ice now and it ruined his blades. Might be centralized though.
<===Lefty===

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Just read on another forum a guy went there and said there is a lot of dirt on the ice now and it ruined his blades. Might be centralized though.

It's easy to avoid since the ice is so clear. Pick your spots carefully...
I ruined my nils blades there a few years ago. That experience taught me a lot
Selective harvest works!

Offline Larry666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! That’s very helpful. I’ll be sure to report back either way and let everyone know how it worked out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.