Author Topic: grand Lake Or Willams Fork  (Read 1544 times)

Offline wahoodad

• IceShanty Rookie
grand Lake Or Willams Fork
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Heading up WF with my grandson tomorrow. Just wondering if that's a good ideal or should we go to Grand Lake? I have never fished either of them. He would like to catch a lake trout for the first time. Or is there anyone headed that direction that wouldn't mind having us tag along. I do have all the equipment needed.

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
Re: grand Lake Or Willams Fork
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:47 PM »
I’d go to green mtn.   Willys just locked up but ice is gonna be dodgy for a few days

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:37 PM »
I’d go to green mtn.   Willys just locked up but ice is gonna be dodgy for a few days

Is green mountain locked solid?

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:48 PM »
Good question! I'm gonna try and head that way for a half day and see how the north end is looking! Worse case a run back toward inlet and walk in a bit

Offline cbrines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Grand Lake has a solid 6" on it at the marina. I'd definitely give Willie's another week.

Offline wahoodad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Thanks for the info. we did try to go to green mountain but it was so low and with no snow around it, it was impossible for me to get my sled down to the ice. So we went to Willy and found that the ice was a  good 8" by the dam parking lot on the north west side. and the same in the bay on the west. We Fished sun up to sun down for 2 days and managed to ice 4 fish. we did lose quite a few but all in all it was very slow. It was the same story for everyone else out there.

Offline dntbeamenace4031

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Thanks for the info. we did try to go to green mountain but it was so low and with no snow around it, it was impossible for me to get my sled down to the ice.

dragging your sled down the slope of doom is half the fun at early ice   :).  Getting it back up to the car was 2x as fun.

Glad you caught a few but I'll agree that's a long two days.  WF is usually good early ice hopefully it'll pick up soon

Offline wahoodad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Slope of doom, great name for it. For sure I would of done it in my younger days but with age comes some smarts. But to be honest it took at least 15 minutes to talk myself out of dragging  everything down there.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:54 PM »
WF has not produced well for me the past two seasons - and that's after many great early ice seasons.  It seems your experience and of those you spoke to, has been more the norm lately.  Still, given the choice between the three lakes I think you made the right choice because there are some beasts to be had in WF.

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:41 PM »
We did opposite today -- hit up GL for the first time ever. Haven't been up since I was a kid and it was gorgeous! Fishing on the other hand was tough! The fish were finicky! Managed a handful of lakers and a brown. I've never seen lakers that dark in color before and the crazy red fins!

Offline cbrines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:06 PM »
A few of us hit Grand on Sunday and yes, it was a tough bite. We also managed a few lakers and one nice brown. I had something smash an 06 Rippin Rap but it came off. Kinda ruined the day for me.

Offline loosewomentightlines69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Heading up WF with my grandson tomorrow. Just wondering if that's a good ideal or should we go to Grand Lake? I have never fished either of them. He would like to catch a lake trout for the first time. Or is there anyone headed that direction that wouldn't mind having us tag along. I do have all the equipment needed.

I realize it’s after the fact, however, WF was about 70% iced over last weekend. The south and west sides are a bit sketchy still. Open water on the west side. About 4-5” of ice on the east side.

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:36 PM »
People on the hard water warriors FB page are saying that it’s been 50 degrees up there and wind/sun is doing serious damage to what ice is there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.