The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton Lake reports?  (Read 5591 times)

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
Houghton Lake reports?
« on: Dec 18, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Can anyone give me and keep me updated on ice at Houghton lake. Planning on coming up over the new years weekend and would appreciate any reports on ice conditions and fish reports between now and then. Thanks.

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Houghton Lake reports?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Check Lyman's website
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:23 AM »
 I check Lyman's. But i'm not sure of how often they update it. I would still appreciate any reports anyone would give. Would also like to hear what your catchin there and what on. I'm hoping to catch my first nice" pike through the ice this year. Last year all I caught were smaller ones so ant tips would help.

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:21 AM »
I can't help ya on ice conditions. However, for sorting out the small hammer handles and getting to the true monsters I would recommend up sizing your bait. If you're making the trip up have at least one tip-up with a LARGE (10"-14") dead sucker, cisco, rainbow, etc. on a quick strike rig. Focus first on any shallow-ish weed lines. Hope this helps.

-Kyle
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:15 AM »
I have not been to HL since Sat but if this will help there was a lot of snow o the icethen and yesterday and last night the temp was in the upper 30's and low 40's all night. They say this afternoon and tomorrow aanother snow storm is coming

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Last year I fished off the park behind rite aid. Used big silver/blue spoon with 4-5 in chub on Lyman's recommendation. Biggest I got ahold of was a 19in.  That was late jan. Did pull a 18in largemouth through. That was fun. This time of year what depth would you start looking for bigger pike. In the weed beds on the edges of the weeds. Thanks

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Last year I fished off the park behind rite aid. Used big silver/blue spoon with 4-5 in chub on Lyman's recommendation. Biggest I got ahold of was a 19in.  That was late jan. Did pull a 18in largemouth through. That was fun. This time of year what depth would you start looking for bigger pike. In the weed beds on the edges of the weeds. Thanks

For sorting out the small hammer handles and getting to the true monsters I would recommend up sizing your bait. If you're making the trip up have at least one tip-up with a LARGE (10"-14") dead sucker, cisco, rainbow, etc. on a quick strike rig. Focus first on any shallow-ish weed lines. Shallow is a relative term but maybe start at 6'-8' on those weed lines. Suspend the dead bait right off the bottom.

Hope this helps & good luck!

-Kyle
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:29 PM »
For sorting out the small hammer handles and getting to the true monsters I would recommend up sizing your bait. If you're making the trip up have at least one tip-up with a LARGE (10"-14") dead sucker, cisco, rainbow, etc. on a quick strike rig. Focus first on any shallow-ish weed lines. Shallow is a relative term but maybe start at 6'-8' on those weed lines. Suspend the dead bait right off the bottom.

Hope this helps & good luck!

-Kyle
I personally like to keep my big suckers 2-3 feet off the bottom... Those big girls love to ambush a sucker from underneath... But I never use dead bait it's always live suckers anything around 10+ inches I usually have to trim the tail a bit so it doesn't pop the flag... They struggle alot after you clip em so be ready for a quick bite.... I've had a flag pop the second I set it with a clip tail fish
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:41 AM »
I personally like to keep my big suckers 2-3 feet off the bottom... Those big girls love to ambush a sucker from underneath... But I never use dead bait it's always live suckers anything around 10+ inches I usually have to trim the tail a bit so it doesn't pop the flag... They struggle alot after you clip em so be ready for a quick bite.... I've had a flag pop the second I set it with a clip tail fish

Usually the only time I'll utilize the "dead bait" technique is when I am targeting a big girl or know that the body of water produces some monsters. In my opinion (not worth much) dead bait does not produce the numbers that a live sucker does. However, if you are on a body of water where a 38"-42" Northern are common I feel like they will take advantage of the dead bait rather than waste energy on a live one.

Just my $.02

-Kyle

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:33 AM »
I appreciate the reply's. That helps. I'm planning on going to Houghton because I was there last year and kind of know where i'm going. For catching a nice pike would you suggest a different lake in that area?

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:38 AM »
Just to the North is Higgins Lake. If you got a few days it may be worth your while to spend a day on it especially if Houghton is not producing. You can't really go wrong with either of them.

-Kyle

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:09 AM »
I had a notion last year to go to Higgins. But hated to leave Houghton just as I was getting to know it but might try it this year. The pike would be catch and release but would love to be able to take a little mess of perch home for the wife and I. Haven't had a mess of them in many years. Looking at the 10 day forecast looks like it's going to be plenty cold enough there on new years, think the ice will be good? Kind of unsure about booking hotel just yet.

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:18 AM »
I don't blame you on not wanting to leave. Your opportunity for a big Northern is good on either of them. I think Houghton is a little easier to read because of the flats and weedlines.

I am really hesitant to say how the ice will be. The weather is looking good but without having somebody on the lake with a real time report I would hate to misguide you.

If I had to guess.... Houghton should be good to go just because of how shallow it is. Higgins may be a different story.

Lymans had an ice update yesterday: "Houghton Lake Ice Report 12.20.17
We have 4" to 5" near shore on the sw side, but it starts to thin out to 2" to 3" about 300 yards out. 5" to 6" are being reported out from Harvey's on East Bay and along the north shore, but further out it thins to 2". If you go, bring a buddy. walk don't ride and spud often."

Note: On Houghton I would start on the East Bay for your Northern..... depending on where your cabin is.

-Kyle

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:35 AM »
I'm not sure where Harvey's or east bay is. I get on at the launch / park behind rite aid which I believe is Pinewood ave. Where is Harvey's/ east bay.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:35 AM »
I just came from HL and from Home Depot  west there was no one fishing but the good thing is most of the snow is gone off the ice. Just a reminder that Higgins Lake usually does not freeze up until sometime in Jan. Hopefully if the snow holds off with the temps coming it may freeze early this year

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Thanks Scout 2. I hope it builds. I'm chompin at the bit. Got four day weekend over new years and hoping there is good safe ice. Please keep me informed how it's looking.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:54 PM »
Had a wireline truck on gas well today. Operator said he was over there yday and there was 3 guys out on ice somewhere off 27
Catching Any?

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:13 PM »
I don't know how much ice there is but they are fishing off the public acess sight on the south side of the lake by the golf course and there were some guys out by the weed bed between the caution light and the Elks lodge . the guys by the public acess were out appox 100 yards or so

Offline Treasure Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • In search of treasure...
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:55 PM »
http://miiceguys.com/ice-map/o

Reporting 3 to 6 inches on the East Bay.  - Slamming gills...   Wish I was further North!

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:56 PM »
How's the walleye bite on Houghton?  I've never been up there but looking to make a trip in a couple weeks.  It took me a couple years, but I discovered if I want to do some good ice fishing, I need to range out further from Kalamazoo.  Any other lakes I should look into for walleye and perch?
FTWGA

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Any new reports on how the ice is?

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2017, 05:54 AM »
I'm not sure where Harvey's or east bay is. I get on at the launch / park behind rite aid which I believe is Pinewood ave. Where is Harvey's/ east bay.

It would be a little trek to "East Bay" from where you're launching. You can see the depth change and weed lines on the map. (See below)

Lyman's hasn't updated their ice report from the 20th yet.

-Kyle

Offline Xx xxx xX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Lyman's has there shanties out

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Lyman's Report:

"Houghton Lake ice report 12.26.17. Santa brought us fishable ice for Christmas, so Lyman’s was able to start hauling their rental shanties out. We measured 6” all the way from our shore to about about a mile out. Reports are about the same on the north shore, east bay, long point and little round. Still haven’t heard from the west shore and they were pretty thin late last week. Look out for pressure cracks if you’re on quads."

Looks like you are good to go fishfeeder.

-Kyle

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Yea, sounds good. Now all I got to do is find some pike and maybe a few nice perch. If you see a shappell fx100 out there stop and say hey.Thanks for the reports.

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Good luck bud! Looking forward to some pics.

-Kyle

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:22 PM »
I just got back from spending a week up there. Fishing was extremely slow. No walleye caught and only one keeper blue gill the entire time. Ice is anywhere from 6 to 8 inches.

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Was there sat and sun. Fished shanty from Lyman's. Was in 9ft water, same spot both days. Caught 5 pike sat. Nothing worth bragging on. Sunday was same with little bigger. Biggest being 27in. All caught on silver spoons with a mix of shiners and chubs. Did catch two on small spoon with wax worms. Only one little perch caught. Felt I did ok. No one around was catching anything. Pic are of sat catch. Didn't get pic sun.

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Nice catches bud. Glad to hear you got on a few!

-Kyle

Offline Preacher Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:03 PM »
LOST......a 5 foot Higgley rod at the DNR public access in the parking lot....PM me and I will pay for postage and REWARD.....Preacher Chuck
"The old Warden"  in hand written on the handle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.