Connecticut > Ice Fishing Connecticut

Pike fishermen: Quick Strike Recommendations?

(1/2) > >>

Hooking:
Hey folks, I know a handful of you are very successful pike fishermen. I’ve never caught one and would like to spend a day this winter hitting the pike waters in CT. For those who use off-the-shelf quick strike rigs, any recommendations? Any models to avoid? I saw some reviews on Northland models claiming the hooks are crap, but want to put everything in context for the size pike we have in our state.

Hooking:
I’ll add that I saw the YouTube video posted elsewhere in here, where a guy made his own using an elastic band in the middle to keep deadbait horizontal. Open to making my own rigs but curious about opinions on the premade ones.

saxmatt:
I recommend not using them. I’ve seen big pike and muskie swallow both trebles and that’s a death sentence. Try a single 3/0-5/0 J hook or octopus hook.

BDailey:
Hello Hooking,

Personally I make my own pike rigs. It’s much cheaper first off & I like having the ability to make them specific to where I’m fishing. One game changer for me is strictly using flourocarbon leader material  rather than wire.

BDailey:
Hooking, not to get off topic but a suggestion from one fellow ice guy to another. Make sure you have plenty of line on your spools when fishing for pike as well. I can’t stress enough that having “the correct gear” holds some truth when fishing for these predators. And a good long pair of needle nose pliers.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version