Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Riding mower on the ice  (Read 2788 times)

Offline snakefood34

• IceShanty Rookie
Riding mower on the ice
« on: Feb 14, 2021, 11:55 AM »
I've seen set ups to put chains and plow blades on riding mowers/lawn tractors, but never seen one on the ice.  Has anyone tried using one to pull a shack around?  Is there a reason why they are not used?  I understand that a 4 wheel drive ATV would probably be better, but if I already have the riding mower, why not use it?

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Riding mower on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2021, 06:04 AM »
Thats funny for 40 years of ice fishing Ive thought about the very same thing. To day my tractor is to big. Good luck on your idea! :icefish:

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:41 PM »
Saw one on the ice the other day. I would imagine they need to be registered with DNR for use on the ice.. dont know though

EYECONICFISHING

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:59 PM »
Riding mowers dont have to be registered.  There not like a snowmobile or atv.

Offline snakefood34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:33 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I suspect that it would not be ideal.  I've been ice fishing probably 15 years and never seen it.  I hardly ever see snow mobiles pulling shacks either.  I just don't know why.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:46 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I suspect that it would not be ideal.  I've been ice fishing probably 15 years and never seen it.  I hardly ever see snow mobiles pulling shacks either.  I just don't know why.

The snowmobile one is because a lot of years where I am we dont have snow cover on the ice.. or its covered and then melts off in 3-4 days. This year is the most snow I can remember for a while, you wouldnt have any problems with a snowmobile right now! Last year I think I fished bare ice every time. Probably very different elsewhere in Iowa, but that's just how it is here. We have wheelers and sidexsides and that's about it

EYECONICFISHING

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2021, 03:50 PM »
I saw a riding mower go out on the ice at Port Clinton a few years back. He was following all the quads and snow mobiles. I was in an air boat that was heavy enough to break through the 12 inches of ice every once in awhile. There were people following us and you couldn't tell where we fell through because all the slush, ice and snow would fill the hole back in right away. Luckily none of the followers fell through that day.

Roy
Southwestern, PA

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2021, 04:01 PM »
How do you break through 12" of ice in an air boat ? We drive full size 4x4 trucks on 12" of ice ?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2021, 04:52 PM »
How do you break through 12" of ice in an air boat ? We drive full size 4x4 trucks on 12" of ice?

Your truck has 4 wheels to spread the weight evenly. Airboat has 2,000+ pounds on a narrow hull
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2021, 03:13 PM »
No way did an airboat break through 12" of ice. The hull wouldn't survive it. The top crust over slush maybe.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2021, 03:26 PM »
I don't drive a lawnmower on the ice but I do drive a 4WD Kubota out there. I see another one every now and then.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2021, 03:27 PM »
No way did an airboat break through 12" of ice. The hull wouldn't survive it. The top crust over slush maybe.

Agreed. Way more surface area spread out any way you look at it than 4 tire points on a truck.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2021, 03:48 PM »
I don't drive a lawnmower on the ice but I do drive a 4WD Kubota out there. I see another one every now and then.

I was just looking at one of those yesterday with a cab and blower on the back.   Not for ice fishing.. @)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2021, 06:22 PM »
My John Deere mower gets stuck on wet grass.   Doesn't have posi either like my ATV so add a little snow out there and I don't thin it would cut it let alone pull a shack.IMO.  Try it and let us know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.