Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Safety

Please wear the right gear please read for your safety

<< < (3/6) > >>

fishermantim:
Slipping and falling, particularly backwards, can be the most damaging because even if you have "cat-like" reflexes and can turn on a dime, you'll more than likely end up wrenching your back, separating a shoulder AND whacking the side of your head!

I had cleats that are good for flat ice, and slipped and fell forward on old ice (old holes and refreezes) and ended up wrenching my shoulder. To this day it is nothing like it used to be, but I can still handle a hand auger!

What I want to stress is this: even with the best of gear, you have to be aware of the ice conditions....ALWAYS!!!

Be safe and be prepared! (I also bring spare clothes, towel and blanket "just in case".)

Chris338378:
Good advice.

digginthefish:
I will have to take notes!

Uncle Al:
AZbassernCO
Happy to hear that you survived, my dad had a closed head injury from a bicycle accident, didn't have any symptoms until 6 months later. He had internal bleeding, surgery's, and after falling again with bleeding on the other side of his head, didn't survive. He was 76yo at the time. Fall's with head injurys are not something to deal lightly with, anything that happens out of the ordinary needs attention.

wyogator:
I just want to reiterate what another poster said. Toe cleats are worse than no cleats.  I had those cheap HT toe cleats for years. They are dangerous because you can't walk normally on your heels.  You have to consciously walk on your toes all the time.  As soon as you forget, Bam! After that, I got some Yaktrax, not as good as Kahtoolas, but good enough.  Yaktrax also won't tear up the carpet in a hard-side ice house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version