Author Topic: Does anyone wear a personal floatation device?  (Read 10472 times)

Offline appleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone wear a personal floatation device?
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:20 PM »
just wondering if anybody is wearing a pfd while out on the ice? i am looking at the auto inflate ones. just for a extra measure of protection. :tipup:
Team Roundhole LLC....

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Does anyone wear a personal floatation device?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Appleman, if it makes you feel more relaxed do it. I bought a couple of the auto inflating waist belts. I could wear them under my coat. A couple of years ago I bought a mustang one piece float suit. It is very warm and keeps the water out if you cinch the wrists and legs etc. Now I feel better and I am not so nervous on thinner ice. I still watch and know cold water kills but I find I enjoy myself more now.
Dont save a few bucks and chance your life.

Offline bobbyjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:34 PM »
i just bought a mustang suite this year,and i love it. it is really warm,and will keep u afloat if u go trough. totally worth the money.

Offline appleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:35 PM »
It seems like some good insurance. I just didnt know how many used them. thanks for the replys
Team Roundhole LLC....

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:45 PM »
I have used a regular pfd underneath my snow suit whenever i have fished on 3"  or less.. Never fell thru but it did give me some comfort. Hear the pfd snow suits are top notch but come with a nice price. Def worth the investment if you have the change.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Appleman, they are warm and dont look like a float suit. I like the one piece as it stops the draft from going up your back. One most days I just wear underarmour and the suit. That is all you need. Rarely do I wear much more. Money well spent.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:51 PM »
I just picked up arctic armor suits for the wife and myself, super warm and they float you if you fall through.  Now I sure do not want to test it, but it is nice knowing it can save me.  I also wear picks around my neck just in case.  And have 100 or so feet of rope in my sled.
Don

Offline Blue83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Nope, never will spend my money on them. I have been trained to escape from ice. So i put my life in my own hands, even with a PDF you can still panic and drown

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Thats great that you can escape from the ice if you go through, but if your totally soaking wet hypothermia will set in not long after unless you can get dried off and in a heated place. 

The suits that float will help keep you dry as well.
Don

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:14 PM »
I just fish on 6" of good black ice or not at all.

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline Blue83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:07 PM »
I'm actually not too worried....i only fish in 2fow, maybe 3, i can stand up in it.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:58 PM »
I keep tellin myself i'm gunna grab it outta the boat but keep forgetting.

I know it's no excuse...

So yea, i mean to wear it but havn't yet ???

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2010, 12:44 AM »
i wear one when i go out alone and it saved my ass early this year... now i never go out without one

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:46 AM »
  I wear a Stearns coat has a PFD type III built right in to it. ;)  It is Coast Guard approved.  Catalog#7077. Model: 29-73   It does keeps me plenty warm but it is a little bulky. 

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:55 AM »
I wear the Sospenders.

They inflate when you hit the water.
I wear it in the early part of the season, or when I am on a new lake for the first time.

Wiener

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:53 AM »
just wondering if anybody is wearing a pfd while out on the ice? i am looking at the auto inflate ones. just for a extra measure of protection. :tipup:
i don't wear one but take 2 square boat cushions. they are great to kneel on and could also safe a life by giving you time needed to get out!!!!!!!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:03 AM »
Early and late ice I use a Stearns float coat.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:27 PM »
I wear the "Pumpkin Suit"

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline spoonfeeder01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:15 PM »
thumbs up on the mustang suit, especially this time of year, when the ice thickness can vary quit a bit from one spot to another. as far as ice training I'd rather put the odds in my favor especially in 20 to 30 fow.  cya

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I wear a Helly Hansen - Delta II flotation suit. Transport Canada approved as a PFD.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:34 PM »
thumbs up on the mustang suit, especially this time of year, when the ice thickness can vary quit a bit from one spot to another. as far as ice training I'd rather put the odds in my favor especially in 20 to 30 fow.  cya
How come my friends always want me on point ???

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ekozlo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:37 PM »
HI ALL
I own a stearns float coat in camo and it is great and always warm!
Last year i took a quick dip in lake , and very glad i had that float coat on!!  it sure was warm!
Also i purchased a one piece stearns float suit!!
And sure hope i don't have to take another quick dip in the lake or pond?
I hope nobody ever falls thru any ice anywhere!
Well all please stay safe on all ice anywhere you go!
on my sled i always have a throw float cushion just in case somebody might be in distress in the water!   thanks ed kozlo

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:52 PM »
I wear a Mustang and it's great. Went through a few years back in 80 FOW, suit worked 100% as advertised, made it very easy to get out and help my partner (no suit) out. I didn't even have anything sinched down and I stayed mostly dry. Think of how much money we all spend on ice gear and a lot of people won't spend $200.00 to save their own life. I am young and fit but I can tell you it's very scary to go through, the cold, shock etc. sets in right away and you might think you're invincible but you're not. A lot of other things can also go wrong, if you fish early/late ice, explore new lakes or fish less than 4" you are very foolish to not wear one.  :tipup:

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:17 PM »
Late ice I will use one.  Ice gets very mush and soft guess feel better with on that time of the year.  but mid season when ice is good and hard usually is a couple of feet of ice so it stays at home then.  If it makes you feel better with one on, I would go for it I know no one will give you crap for it if you end up haveing to use it some day, then It will be worth it. 

Offline jigpause

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:40 PM »
wear the full 1 piece tella tubby floatation suit...water cuffs sinched up tight. never wear sloppy winter boots that fill with water, always wear high end hunting boots that are water proof and lace high and tight.

Offline Hobo Hilton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it's FISHABLE or HUNTABLE, It's ME
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:50 PM »
  Look at a IDI Arctic Armor Plus Floatation Suit,  Its a very warm suit,and it floats approx. 278lbs. of body weight.

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2010, 12:01 PM »
glare ice kreepers and a snowmobile helmet maybe?

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I wear a life vest I picked up for $40 that i bought for open water.
Next time you go to cwood let me know how many fish you didnt catch.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:03 AM »
(in fact if it were me I would relax and take a few deep breathes and not try to just get out as quickly as possible).  Once you are in and wet you can take a little bit to get your cool and gather yourself before attempting to get out.

Yeah, you'll be taking deep breaths alright! A persons first reaction when they fall into cold water is to gasp for breath, it's an involuntary reaction and everyone does it... if your head is under water when this happens your lungs fill with water and you drown! It is the main cause of drowning in cold water and is why it's so important to wear a PFD.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Yeah, you'll be taking deep breaths alright! A persons first reaction when they fall into cold water is to gasp for breath, it's an involuntary reaction and everyone does it... if your head is under water when this happens your lungs fill with water and you drown! It is the main cause of drowning in cold water and is why it's so important to wear a PFD.

You are 100% right, you do not have moments, seconds, fractions of a second. My fishing partner both had rods etc. in our hands when we went in? Due to your natural reactions you will drop everything. This is what was trying to explain, it doesn't matter how young, fit, experienced, great swimmer etc. A PFD is a simple and fairly cheap way to save your life, you can easily die in 6' or more water without it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.