Author Topic: Whitie Pics!!  (Read 55049 times)

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whitie Pics!!
« on: Feb 26, 2007, 11:52 PM »
Well we had a good day Saturday we landed 13 and lost prob twice that many again.  Saw tonnes on the the camera and it was pretty neat, we ended up running out of bait we had so many bites, the bite never stopped all day I never had whitefish fishing like that before.  Were allowed to keep 5 a day here so we kept out 10 and my buddy only took 1 so i got 9 here's some pics!!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Whitie Pics!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Well we had a good day Saturday we landed 13 and lost prob twice that many again.  Saw tonnes on the the camera and it was pretty neat, we ended up running out of bait we had so many bites, the bite never stopped all day I never had whitefish fishing like that before.  Were allowed to keep 5 a day here so we kept out 10 and my buddy only took 1 so i got 9 here's some pics!!
(Image removed from quote.)
Fun day.  Love smoked or pan fried Wt fish.

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
  • From the gridiron to the ice
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Nice fish Slayer!! What was the biggest in inches?(approx).  Pickeral eggs, I take it?
Is there a road out there yet? 
"Knowledge is power, Power is knowledge!"

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:05 PM »
was about 19
yea pikerel eggs it was!!!

well there is a road but not much of one i had my truck stuck a couple times in 4x4 but i wasn't on the road i was out playing!!
there were 2 wheels drives going out there no prob

Offline Logan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Ling King"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:36 PM »
Pickeral Eggs eh,I have never ever heard of that....any tips how to use them would be great guys. Also does any other form of egg work since you cant hardly keep 'Eyes from any of the lakes around me.
My wife told me that if I go ice fishing again she'll leave me. God, I'm going to miss her! :D

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:33 AM »
Logan, i'm not sure about any other eggs i'm sure they would work, i catch them on whitefish eggs from previously caught fish all the time, the gonad (sperm strip) works really really well too lots of color and excellent scent, we fish right on bottom so we don't jig for them much it's pretty much still fishing so our eggs with stay on pretty good, if you get a fish that the sperm sack in a like perch or smelt you won't be able to keep it on the hook long, BUT!!! With a little touch of salt it will drin the eggs and stiffen it right up, I salt pikerel eggs alot it makes them really really tough and sticky and they will stay on a hook forever.. Hope this helps
CHEERS

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
  • From the gridiron to the ice
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:00 PM »
Logan,

I know the confusion western anglers have when we say "Pickeral".  We are talking about Chain pickeral or miniature pike if you will.  We do not have walleyes in this part of the country.  I used to fish Ontario quite a bit and I never heard the word walleye when I was out fishing for them, it was always pickeral...I wonder how the slang came about? ???
Good fishin

P.S. How bout that Ryan Smyth deal.........Surprisin g!
"Knowledge is power, Power is knowledge!"

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:01 PM »
those fish look great. Real clean healthy ones. You gonna fillet them up or smoke em
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:59 PM »
those fish look great. Real clean healthy ones. You gonna fillet them up or smoke em

well we tried rolling some but the papers wouldn't lite b/c they were too wet!!
HAHAHA
no these babies are already in fillet chunks just ready for the fish crisp and to hit the fryer!!!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2007, 07:50 PM »
Very nice mess of Whitey's slayer!

Good Fishing  :tipup:

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2007, 08:40 PM »
well we tried rolling some but the papers wouldn't lite b/c they were too wet!!
HAHAHA
no these babies are already in fillet chunks just ready for the fish crisp and to hit the fryer!!!

lol i heard if you lick the edge of the paper they stick better, and as your lighting them inhale ;)
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2007, 12:05 AM »
have to give that a try on the next batch!!

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2007, 09:17 PM »
sweet mess of fish
hook and cook

Offline justinjipson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 38.5" 18lbs
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2007, 08:51 PM »
nice whites got some good size to em
fishing = paradise

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2007, 12:20 AM »
Nice catch of Whitefish. You were living up to your name that day. ;)

When you use fish eggs do you place them in a spawn sack of any kind, or are they rubbery enough to gum on to the hook. :-\

WW

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2007, 12:30 PM »
Nice catch of Whitefish. You were living up to your name that day. ;)

When you use fish eggs do you place them in a spawn sack of any kind, or are they rubbery enough to gum on to the hook. :-\

WW

No we don't use any kind of spawn sack CHAIN PIKEREL's eggs are very gummy and sticky and stay on the hook for a long time.. We don't jig them we play a waiting game but you'd be suprised how long they last... Add a little salk to them for a few days and you'd got some bubble gum eggs they last forever when you add some salt.. I bring both fresh and salted when I fish b/c some days they prefer some baits over others..

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Never thought I would actually get a chance to post on this particular forum the way things were going in Dec and Jan for whites.  This past weekend I managed to catch my limit at a local lake where you are allowed 5.  The biggest is only 2 lbs and the rest are about 1.5 lbs.  Small but still fun and fiesty as ever!  Hope to be posting more white pics here in the next couple of months.

Cheers!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:37 PM »
What were you catching them on?  and where?

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:28 PM »
What were you catching them on?  and where?

Sorry but the lure has to remain secret.  I caught them way up in Alberta, Canada at Sylvan Lake.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Oh come on!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:29 PM »
we jig em' on a dropper under a sz7 pimple sz 6 octopuss hook tipped w/ a chunk of smelt. tip ups w/ a small hook 5ft off bottom w/ a pinose smelt works good as well. no pickeral around here so i guess i cant try your technique. funny how im in the same region as you guys but never heard about this way of fishing for whites.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Another whitie pic from this weekend.  Fished at Wolf Lake up in North East Alberta, Canada.  Only 2nd time ever at the lake and the first time in hard water season.  The whites ignored everything except the minnows that fell from our hooks after landing many walleye.  They began vacuuming up the minnows.  We finally got wise and downsized a 2nd rod with a small hook like a wire worm and hooked up a small minnow and let it lay on the bottom.  After several hookups I managed to land this fat beauty.  About 3.5 lbs.

What was really fulfilling is that this big white kept returning for about 4 hours before I got it to take the bait.  It had sucked up 8 of the minnows that had fallen off.  At least that is what I counted on the cam.  When I opened it up it had 8 fresh minnows in its belly.  What a pig!  Glad it was still hungry.

Cheers!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2008, 03:44 PM »
That's a nice fish man!

We normally jig those buggers up off the bottom....they like to root around in the muck stirring up small baitfish and that one was just taking advantage of the free meal!!!  ;)

try jigging a number 3/4 green or chartruese sweedish pimple.  Just tap it on the bottom two or three times then slowly lift if about 6-10 inches..wait...then tap again and lift....keep repeating this and if you think you had a bite you probably did.  When in doubt set the hook....

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline walleyecrazyx22

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye.. SIMPLY AMAZING!!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2008, 10:51 PM »
Its way different in many lakes, i caught many jumbo's, including a 5.6lb whitey with a plain brass wireworm, thats all i use, and its been working for the last 4 years, leaving it a foot off the bottom.
Walleye... Purely fantastic
Biggest to date: 12.6 pounds 33 inches[/u]
Calling lake, Alberta
Summer of 2006
Simply the best lake ive ever fished

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:00 PM »
Thanks Neptune.

I don't think that hook would have mattered in this case.  The info is appreciated though.  I agree with walleyecrazy that some lakes are just differnent and this is one of those lakes.  We tried something very similar to what your mentioning....and a brass wire worm  ;)
All of the whites ignored everything except the minnows on the bottom.  There seemed to be about 5-6 of them that would come in regularily to grab any left over minnows. They were all in this larger size class to.  Just when you think you have them figured out, they do something else.  They are a challenging fish in my books.

Cheers!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:46 PM »
You aint just a kidin'!!! They can be downright frustrating fish to catch.

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline QuantumPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing at a Quantum Level
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2008, 01:47 AM »
great bunch of pics guys. 
I can....jig it, rip it, pop it, crank it.

Offline Topher8908

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOATBOYS-WISCONSIN CHAPTER son of 1st WI goat
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2009, 12:08 PM »
nice pics man those are some nice whities! Here are some pics from this past weekend at the Ice Shanty Mod get together that i was at with my dad (HIMO) and the whities we caught between all of us. Enjoy!

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:55 AM »
great tips :tipup:

Offline Olli

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 22, 2010, 11:11 AM »
Hello! Pic of finnish whitefish. Weight 1lbs. Caught with a red/yellow colored marmish at last winter. By the way, the first whitefish of my life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.