Author Topic: Cisco Help  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cisco Help
« on: Oct 26, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Gonna try fishing for ciscos this year but not sure what I need to get started. What lures do you guys typically use? Waxies, minnows, both? I think I read somewhere that they'll be hanging out in open water, is this correct?

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
Re: Cisco Help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I've caught ciscos using a small teardrop and waxie. I was fishing in 40-50 fow for perch on the bottom when all of a sudden the fish would show up on the flasher 10-15 feet under the hole. I pull up to them and they usually hit it hard. Unfortunately as fast as the ciscos would show up under my hole they would also leave

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2009, 03:42 PM »
I think we're talking about the same lake if you're fishing closer to home. What kind of size were you getting? Thanks for the reply.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:35 AM »
we probably are talking about the same lake. most of the cisco's I've gotten there have been 8-12"

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Very cool pic. I'm usually fishing that lake for muskies.

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2009, 11:25 AM »
A long time classic technique for ciscoes up here is to put a bead on the treble hook of your jigging spoon...white pearls are traditional, but glo-beads, or brightly coloured greens and pinks are popular as well.  The treble can be fastened directly to the spoon, but the common setup is to have it dangling a few inches below.  The beads can be glued or wrapped up underneath the treble where all three points join into the middle   :tipup:
The harder the better!

Offline Whitefish Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Are the ciscos you are talkin about the same as lake herring?? if so ive never caught one smaller then about 17 or 18 inches and i usually catch them fishing for spring coho jacks on lake superior and they sometimes will hit the #6 swedish pimple but they got for the #5 everytime (whites the best that ive found)
Catch And Release Strait To The Grease!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.