The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 160907 times)

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #120 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:00 AM »
anyone know where to get a clam plate?

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #121 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:23 AM »
anyone know where to get a clam plate?
Sent you a PM as to where you can get one.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #122 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Does the drill have to be brushless, for a longer drill life?  In the reading I've done it seems that the batteries that have the most power drill the best!

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Does the drill have to be brushless, for a longer drill life?  In the reading I've done it seems that the batteries that have the most power drill the best!
brushless and 4.0 AH batteries are best ( Milwaukee 18V fuel cell)

Offline buktrk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Mar 02, 2014, 06:21 PM »
is it the Milwaukee drill or hammer drill, I want to make shure I get the rite one the first time, anyone have a part #
if there's bait in the water there's hope.

Offline Doug.M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Mar 02, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Home depot has em 299. Milwaukee 18v 1/2 brushless drill comes with 2 -4amp hr batteries and the charger.
 ;D

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Mar 02, 2014, 06:59 PM »
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-Compact-Battery-Kit-2603-22CT/203221910                                  Is this it?                                                                           

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #127 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:25 PM »
No, that one has compact batteries. To get the bigger batteries you want 2603-22  not 22ct

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:44 PM »
You can use either drill/ driver or the hammer drill. If you get the hammer drill just don't have it on the hammer drill setting when ur drilling ice. Both Milwaukee M18 Fuel models  have 750 inch lbs of torque. Great warranty & customer service Dept.
Don't horse em!

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:48 AM »
No, that one has compact batteries. To get the bigger batteries you want 2603-22  not 22ct
I believe the correct one is      http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-XC-Battery-Kit-2604-22/203205419

It has the extended high capacity (XC) 4.0AH Batteries cost $299         I looked at them at home Depot and recall seeing 4.0AH Batteries on the outside of the package Specifications.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:43 AM »
I believe the correct one is      http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-XC-Battery-Kit-2604-22/203205419

It has the extended high capacity (XC) 4.0AH Batteries cost $299         I looked at them at home Depot and recall seeing 4.0AH Batteries on the outside of the package Specifications.

Says it comes with 3.0 ah batteries , might have to upgrade!

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:12 AM »
Get the hammer drill. The difference is the transmission of the drill. It's heavy duty and will last longer. Set it to drill mode #1. I have mine on a clam plate with a 6" mora. It cuts better than the 6" lazer because it's a shaver blade. The replacement blades are cheaper also. It has 750 lbs. of torque and turns at 550 rpm. I have a Nils power auger that I have not used all winter and I'm a hole hopper. Best setup for someone that walks out. Love my Nils but the no gas and cutting this good has got me thinking I might not need the Nils much longer. So far I have gotten 54 holes on 1 battery with the Milwaukee 18, 4.0 amp. Didn't measure the ice but I'm in Minnesota so you know it's way over 24".

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:14 AM »
Well I experienced for the first time the milwaukee fuel 18v hammer drill shutting down while drilling holes last night on Saginaw Bay with an 8" auger. I drilled 3 holes through 24"plus of ice with no issues. I went on to drill 4 more and the drill was shutting down while drilling. Had to be heating up and shutting down to cool. I know the ice thickness with the 8" auger is a big task for any drill. Once I let it cool down a few I drilled 2 more holes with no issues. In a normal year we might have 12-14" of ice, so I am confident this setup is the way to go. It is a lot to ask of a cordless drill with a 8" auger and over 2ft of ice..... Had I been using a 6" auger this wouldn't have happened, I just need a 8" holes to pull those walleye through.....lol

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:09 AM »
I think with the 8 inch drill you are at the upper limit for any drill. The  Milwaukee Fuel 18 is the best I've seen. To do better you would have to go 36 volt and they are very expensive. I fish mostly panfish so a 6 inch hole is all I need most of the time. I used to have a 7" Lazer. Gave it to a friend, wish I still had it. I going to make a cover for the battery that I can put a heat pac in for next winter out of Refletic, duct tape and Velcro. Haven't had a problem with leaving the battery on so far. I'm thinking you could really increase the run time by keeping the battery warm.just can't say enough good things about this setup. For us walk out guys this is the best setup, no gas, light and easy to use.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:20 AM »
  Says it comes with 3.0 ah batteries , might have to upgrade!
just stopped at home depot correct model # is 2604-22, comes with two red lithum XC 4.0 batteries

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Thankx for the info!!

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Mar 05, 2014, 03:17 PM »
Also looking for a clam plate if anyone knows where I can get one,  let me know.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Mar 05, 2014, 06:22 PM »
E-mailed clam and was told they sold out very quick, and will be none available till next fall.  Called Cabelas in Dundee Mich and the guy I talked to told me they only got 2 for the whole store!!  That's amazing!!

Offline nws6373

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Mar 05, 2014, 06:58 PM »
I picked one up at the Bass Pro in Portage, Indiana a couple of weeks ago. They had two left after I purchased mine. You might give them a call. It's a long shot they'll still have them, but you never know. I was surprised when I saw them, because no one in southern Michigan had any at that time. Good Luck.

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:45 AM »
I wanted to give my end of season final review on my Clam ice auger with the Milwaukee Fuel 18v hammer drill and a 8" mora auger.
I have been using my setup with the milwaukee drill for well over a month now. I am using a 8" mora auger and have been drilling about a dozen holes each trip through 24-28" of ice on Saginaw bay. I have been out probably about 12-14 times with it. The drill does shut down when it heats up, but not nearly as much as the Ridgid drill. I can get 1-2 holes before it does this, however I am using an 8" auger. When I tested the 6" auger, I drilled 54.5 holes in a row with no shut downs. When it does shut down, I just wait a few secs then continue to drill. I can say this, I am more than satisfied with this setup and will not go back to gas unless this fails me over time. I also rarely ever have to use the second battery, since I can get 12-14 8" holes on one battery. It has been a crazy winter, with insane ice thickness, so I feel under normal ice conditions, this setup will be even better than currently.

Good luck to anyone building/using a cordless drill ice auger.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:52 AM »
I wanted to give my end of season final review on my Clam ice auger with the Milwaukee Fuel 18v hammer drill and a 8" mora auger.
I have been using my setup with the milwaukee drill for well over a month now. I am using a 8" mora auger and have been drilling about a dozen holes each trip through 24-28" of ice on Saginaw bay. I have been out probably about 12-14 times with it. The drill does shut down when it heats up, but not nearly as much as the Ridgid drill. I can get 1-2 holes before it does this, however I am using an 8" auger. When I tested the 6" auger, I drilled 54.5 holes in a row with no shut downs. When it does shut down, I just wait a few secs then continue to drill. I can say this, I am more than satisfied with this setup and will not go back to gas unless this fails me over time. I also rarely ever have to use the second battery, since I can get 12-14 8" holes on one battery. It has been a crazy winter, with insane ice thickness, so I feel under normal ice conditions, this setup will be even better than currently.

Good luck to anyone building/using a cordless drill ice auger.
     Thanks for all the reviews pointerguy, good job

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #141 on: Mar 15, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I have been using the rigid drill with a 6 in auger. I can drill all day with no shutdowns. I dud 40 holes straight thru 18" of ice trying to get it to shut down, and it wouldn't shut down.

I feel the clam drill plate is not required for these set ups. With the t handle on the drill it's very easy to hold onto and control the drill. The clam plate is just unnecessary weight.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Yes you can drill without the clam plate quite well but there is more to it than just drilling. The Clam plate gives you more control, the bearing takes the load off your drill, your auger won't fall off and you won't break your wrist. For the money it's worth it to me. Also a lot of  fun to drill with. Best $59.00 plate, $14.00 extension I spent all winter.

Offline jlm5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:59 PM »
I have an 8 inch Mora that I put 7 inch Swedish blades on with an Icemaster  adapter and just a ryobi 18v drill with a new high capacity battery. Ive been gettin 8  holes through 18 inches of ice with one battery no problem no shut downs or drill getting hot. I fish mostly tip ups and dont move around alot when I'm out so its really all I need. I'm kinda of amazed at how well it works and cant understand why its not more popular. I'm not saying its better then a gas auger but it sure beats drilling holes by hand like i use to. With a 6 inch auger and a better drill i think i could get alot more holes. I live in new jersey and this is much thicker ice then we usually get. I could see how guys who live in the mid west and get crazy thick ice would want a better system, but my main point is that a drill adapter is an excellent low investment alternative to drilling by hand that alot of people are not aware of or don't think works well. As long as you have good blades and a decent 18v drill and battery it will work.

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Update: I have been using my clam combo drill adapter and & 7" drill and the Milwaukee 18v fuel cell the last few outings, and I am very pleased so far with the results. This last weekend it was -1 degrees, and we got 27 holes with the first battery and 28 with the second battery. As you can see in the pic, we were drilling down and bottoming out at the plate on all the holes. we did not drill consecutively, we were using a camera and drilling three holes every time we moved, plus hole hopping and our tip up holes. The second battery I did used more frequently just to see how far it would go.

I am very pleased with the results. Probably will not used my 10" jiffy much any more, [hee, hee], [to heavy to carry].

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Update: I have been using my clam combo drill adapter and & 7" drill and the Milwaukee 18v fuel cell the last few outings, and I am very pleased so far with the results. This last weekend it was -1 degrees, and we got 27 holes with the first battery and 28 with the second battery. As you can see in the pic, we were drilling down and bottoming out at the plate on all the holes. we did not drill consecutively, we were using a camera and drilling three holes every time we moved, plus hole hopping and our tip up holes. The second battery I did used more frequently just to see how far it would go.

I am very pleased with the results. Probably will not used my 10" jiffy much any more, [hee, hee], [to heavy to carry].

Looks like you need to buy the extension...... lol
I bought one a few moths ago so save my back.

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Until this year we never needed one ;D

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Aug 02, 2014, 10:53 AM »
Has anyone seen any clam-auger plates this year?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #148 on: Aug 02, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Good man for the early start, Gills-only.     ;)2

What a bargain, last year @ $49.95 , well, some outlets but maybe not all.

Looks as though inflation has upped the tariff.       :woot:     And, they have included a bit/auger.

You best have a seat before checking this out, YIKES !

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/auger-combo.html

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #149 on: Aug 02, 2014, 11:26 PM »
I hope they will sell just the drill plate . Talk about inflation !
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.