Author Topic: Stryker suit i need to waterproof the knees  (Read 2154 times)

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Stryker suit i need to waterproof the knees
« on: Jan 16, 2021, 03:49 PM »
Any advice for a waterproofing method on the stryker suit on the knees. The knees of the suit get completely soaking wet.  I dont recall this suit did that originally.  Is there a good waterproofing fabric spray i can use?.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Re: Stryker suit i need to waterproof the knees
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2021, 04:06 PM »
I have no experience with this, but a friend has mentioned using a product called Aqua Armor on a few different things. If I remember correctly, he stated that he sprays it on & then throws it in the dryer because the heat cures/activates it. Think he said he picked it up at Home Depot. Haven't heard him gripe about the stuff, so may be worth checking out. Good luck with this issue & take care !!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Flex seal can make a boat with screen in bottom not leak should work fine on knee of bibs
Just enjoying life

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:04 PM »
Contact Striker. They can tell you what do use and how to do it. 

Offline smokeeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:47 AM »
why not get a pair of knee pads from Harbor freight or Home depot. They're easier on the knees also.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:50 AM »
why not get a pair of knee pads from Harbor freight or Home depot. They're easier on the knees also.
Not a bad idea there.  I may keep that in mind.
I may give stryker a call and see what they recommend.  Im assuming there is some type absorbant spray that could be used

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:50 PM »
tater, before you do anything, read the tags inside the garment. all will tell you what NOT to do! all my suits said not to use a dryer under any circumstance. would ruin suit. good luck, wire.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:56 PM »
read the tags inside the garment. all will tell you what NOT to do! all my suits said not to use a dryer under any circumstance. would ruin suit

Did not know this.....Forget the suggestion in my previous post then lol.....

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2021, 01:39 PM »
Best to contact Striker Ice ..I thought some time back thy recommended Nix wax products ..I looked on their site cant seem to find any recommendations .

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:14 AM »
So I asked Striker Ice via FB messanger here is the response

We recommend washing with a light non-scented detergent - and then hang dry.

As far as waterproofing there are a number of good waterproof sprays that can help but one we normally recommend is NikWax.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2021, 10:42 AM »
Alrighty then... Just ordered some.  I will let you know how it works, and if it doesn't you have to pick up your mic

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2021, 10:59 AM »
Alrighty then... Just ordered some.  I will let you know how it works, and if it doesn't you have to pick up your mic

Good review ..how easy..thoughts etc on its own Topic/Thread would be nice ..this question gets the rounds asked of it ..would be nice to make reference to that thread and put it to bed for future inquisitive minds.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2021, 12:21 PM »
I will see what I can do. 

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2021, 12:18 AM »
Just did my striker suit today. I use the NikWax system. Wash first in the tech wash. In a separate cycle, I use the wash in. Hang to drip in the shower. When it’s lightly damp, I take outside and spray the soft shell proof on. I do this twice a year. It works great for repelling rain/snow, but not so much for kneeling in standing water.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:01 AM »
My issue may not be totally preventable.  Here in Indiana we are often fishing in slushy melting conditions.  I tend to fish pretty mobile and kneel down at the ice hole a lot to try to block the wind. At the end of the day my knees end up totally waterlogged.  My suit is prob 6-8 years old, and has held up real well.  If i can just improve the waterlogged knees would be great.i ordered the spray on nikwax yesterday.

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2021, 09:25 PM »
I believe NikWax will tell you the most important thing is to use the tech wash properly. The dirt, slime, detergent and whatever else plugs up the fabric and allows water to penetrate. It’s kind of a system. I’m a little unsure of the wash in, but it doesn’t hurt.  I would think the tech wash and spray would suffice. Maybe a good cleaning would restore your suits knee fabric natural water repellent characteristics. Worth a try.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2021, 09:32 PM »
Any advice for a waterproofing method on the stryker suit on the knees. The knees of the suit get completely soaking wet.  I dont recall this suit did that originally.  Is there a good waterproofing fabric spray i can use?.

How old are these? I've had  mine for 2 seasons now & have had no issues at all. (knock on wood)  ;D

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:40 AM »
I think around 7-8  years old.  I have no complaints with the suite as I have put some miles on them, just trying to extend the useful life of them as best I can.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:59 AM »

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:31 AM »
I was actually out the other day in a situation where it rained heavy all day. I was wearing my ice armor suit which is waterproof but by around 5 hours on the ice, I started seeing the suite was becoming saturated. I have washed my suite probably 3-4 times I have owned it and hung to dry. It was recommend to use Kiwi Camp Dry as an application to restore the waterproofing. I did this and the suite has been fine since. I will say this, that last time I was out in the rain, it was a lot of water and there was about 1.5" water built up on the ice, so it was not a typical rain event that the suite probably would have handled just fine without the need of the Camp Dry. Hope that helps
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:04 AM »
I think around 7-8  years old.  I have no complaints with the suite as I have put some miles on them, just trying to extend the useful life of them as best I can.
Well good to know. I'm glad I now have a plan if they ever start to leak. I love my bibs, one of my best investments ever!  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.