Author Topic: Simms Fishing Gear  (Read 6649 times)

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Simms Fishing Gear
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2019, 10:39 AM »
  Which $15 wool gloves are you using?  You can get the Simms ones for $20 with a standard 20% off sale, but it never hurts to have some cheap backups laying around.
Wonder also. Looking to get my first pair of wool gloves.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Wonder also. Looking to get my first pair of wool gloves.

Just search fingerless wool on amazon and pick what you like for 5-10 bucks.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2019, 11:07 AM »
Alittle pricey but I love all my Simms stuff. I fish alot and can't complain about how any of it has held up. My only Simms disappointment is my wife got me 2 of the 1/4 bill beanie caps and they aren't very tight, I still wear them but prefer other ones I have more. I  just last week picked up a pair of the merino wool gloves with half fingers on the thumb pointer and middle fingers. Will be using them for some steelhead action in the next few weeks and maybe transition them over to ice fishing as well.

I like my beanie cap and so does my fishing partner!!!   ;D

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2019, 11:23 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Man I love that picture!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 27, 2019, 12:59 AM »
  Which $15 wool gloves are you using?  You can get the Simms ones for $20 with a standard 20% off sale, but it never hurts to have some cheap backups laying around.

I want to say Fox River but I don’t think that was it although they do make a pair. I still wouldn’t mind trying the Simms though.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 27, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Fish monkey make a wool glove called "wooly half finger" I'm just not sure about the leather....
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:41 PM »
Thought this thread was about Simms gear?????

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 27, 2019, 08:53 PM »
Simms Guide Boots wading boots has been a great buy for me.  I use them more moose hunting than fly fishing, and I love that I can pack moose quarters through a swamp or through the tussocks while wearing my waders without ever worrying about falling or twisting my ankle because of my boots.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:21 AM »

I had a chance to test out some of my Simms gear last night.  We were out on the boat in Madison trying for some night walleyes.  Nada. Pic above is the Challenger Insulated Jacket.  I liked it a lot.  Way less bulky than my Striker Ice Climate Jacket.  I paid full price, $300.  Would I by it again, absolutely. 

This is the Midstream Insulated Jacket.  I used it as a layering jacket under the Challenger jacket.  Very light weight.  I liked it.  On sale for $100, normally $200. 

This is the Challenger Hoody.  Didn't fish with it, just tried it on.  Very nice.  On sale for $50, normally $70.  I'd buy another. 

This is the ultra wool core top.  There is absolutely no itch to this whatsoever, but it is super thin material.  Normal price is $120, I paid $90.  I see they are now $70.  I wouldn't pay $90 for another, maybe $70.  Not sure how much this garment is helping me stay warm.  Maybe it's worth wearing, not sure. 

So I had $500 worth of Simms gear on last night.  Boat ride across the lake at 30mph in 35° weather.  Toasty as could be, but you'd expect that with this expensive stuff on, right! 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:28 AM »

So I had $500 worth of Simms gear on last night.  Boat ride across the lake at 30mph in 35° weather.  Toasty as could be, but you'd expect that with this expensive stuff on, right!

My experience as well. Very expensive BUT very effective.

Reminds me of a saying from an interesting guy, "I don't always wear expensive, but when I do, I prefer Simms."
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:10 PM »

I had a chance to test out some of my Simms gear last night.  We were out on the boat in Madison trying for some night walleyes.  Nada. Pic above is the Challenger Insulated Jacket.  I liked it a lot.  Way less bulky than my Striker Ice Climate Jacket.  I paid full price, $300.  Would I by it again, absolutely. 

Think it is as warm as a climate jacket? Love my climate bibs but was never a big fan of the jacket

Offline GenaVorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Think it is as warm as a climate jacket? Love my climate bibs but was never a big fan of the jacket
                From your experience would be Challenger insulated bibs and jackets will be ok as Ice fishing gear ?

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2019, 11:44 AM »
                From your experience would be Challenger insulated bibs and jackets will be ok as Ice fishing gear ?

I've never owned either, but that was kind of my question as well, a lightweight but still warm jacket would be nice

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2019, 11:53 AM »

I have a few friends that have the challenger bibs and love them, they are as warm as the strker ice predator bibs.

I would have both but some times Simms does not offer a good fit for me being 6'3" and 200lbs so some of their gear is either to baggy or to short on the arms.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2019, 12:06 PM »
I have a few friends that have the challenger bibs and love them, they are as warm as the strker ice predator bibs.

I would have both but some times Simms does not offer a good fit for me being 6'3" and 200lbs so some of their gear is either to baggy or to short on the arms.

Exactly why I never loved my climate jacket, arms are too short, which tightens the shoulder area and gets cold.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:05 PM »
Not sure if it's as warm as the climate jacket by itself.  I would be willing to bet that the Simms Insulated Challenger jacket, along with some layering underneath, will be just as warm as any ice fishing garb. 
Ice fishing here in Southern Wisconsin will be in full force this day next week.  Temps are on the way down, looking forward to it. 

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:19 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Beautiful dog!
Here’s my fishing buddies.....

“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Beautiful dog!
Here’s my fishing buddies.....

JEEBAS!!! You have two of them????
I thought one was a handful!!!!
   ;D

Here's a pic I took of him last month. ;)

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:26 PM »
JEEBAS!!! You have two of them????
I thought one was a handful!!!!
   ;D

Here's a pic I took of him last month. ;)

He looks like a great fishin buddy! And honestly they are only handfuls if they don’t get hikes almost every day. The malamute is good off leash (good recall) the husky, lol well I’m sure you know, not so much. Though my wife did train her last husky off leash. Anyways hope you have a great night and give an extra treat to your little friend for me. they’re on this earth such a short time. By the way is he a husky or malamute mix? Looks big!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:30 PM »
He looks like a great fishin buddy! And honestly they are only handfuls if they don’t get hikes almost every day. The malamute is good off leash (good recall) the husky, lol well I’m sure you know, not so much. Though my wife did train her last husky off leash. Anyways hope you have a great night and give an extra treat to your little friend for me. they’re on this earth such a short time. By the way is he a husky or malamute mix? Looks big!!

I have no idea what he is.
He's a shelter pup from up in the Northern area of the NWT.
Pretty sure he's got a lot of husky in him as he has some serious selective hearing.
I do let him wander off leash though and he doesn't take off.
He'll come when I call or whistle most times. ;)

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #50 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:49 PM »
I have no idea what he is.
He's a shelter pup from up in the Northern area of the NWT.
Pretty sure he's got a lot of husky in him as he has some serious selective hearing.
I do let him wander off leash though and he doesn't take off.
He'll come when I call or whistle most times. ;)
God bless you, that’s  awesome you got him from the shelter. That is what we’ve always done until these two. We put our last shelter rescue down 2 years ago and it was taking quite a toll on the wife so I surprised her with two puppies.
It tamped down the grief for her a lot. Anyway, funny you mention the listening thing, that is such a typical husky thing. Check out the shirt I got for my wife for Christmas...

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #51 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:53 PM »
And by the way, they come when you call every time, if you have chicken nuggets  ;D

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:34 AM »

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:36 AM »
And by the way, they come when you call every time, if you have chicken nuggets  ;D

One time at the cabin no matter what I did he would not come.
I had to walk over the the neighbours cabin 1000' away to get him.
Figured out why he wouldn't come, they were eating a nice dinner of moose meat stew!!!!!
He was sitting patiently hoping for a plate of his own.
I probably wouldn't have come either!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #54 on: Dec 06, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Can’t blame him for moose meat stew distractions. Though I’ve never had moose, lots of guys I work with have and they all say it’s yucky. I suppose it’s like anything, depends on how you prepare it. Only thing that I couldn’t figure out how to prepare without tasting nasty is goose. I tried everything to no avail. Anyways please send some cold NWT air this way please, the temps have been schizophrenic here!!!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:39 PM »
My old buddy, I lost him a couple years ago and miss him daily.

[/url]
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:39 AM »
So Simms Fishing Gear turned into a dog thread.  Love dogs, but maybe we can start a new thread for dogs and keep this about Simms pretty please.. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.